How Do You Grow a Thick Skin?

Nyctoria

I'm talking about learning to accept criticism from others without turning arrogant as an author.

When feedback sounds mean rather than constructive and I don't know what to do with my thoughts, I suffer from self-doubt.

I want to have a balanced perspective, but I don't know where to start. Any tips, tricks or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Plus1

Bruh... too many trolls here.

Honestly, it's important to realise that most commentors are not authors, themselves. They might know things you don't, and so it's important to take their comments into consideration, but you shouldn't feel obligated to enact every change requested in a comment or take every criticism seriously. They might be complaining about the smallest of things because they dislike certain genres of story, which has nothing to do with you, or they just had a bad day.

Even so it's hard not to get discouraged by mean comments and reviews, but all we can do is keep on writing. Things will definitely improve over time, if you keep plugging at it.

doravg

105/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
You don't have to grow a thick skin as long as you post in SH. No one will give you critique here, unless you beg for it. Man, I love this place. Now that there is no one to point out the things I could have done better, I can just relax and post my word vomit in peace.

BlackKnightX

Experience. I can tell you you shouldn’t care what others think about you too much, but that’s easier said than done. Everyone can say that, but when the time comes, it’s still hard to accept without fooling yourself or over-compensation.

The only thing that can help you grow is experience. Just expose yourself to criticisms. Open up for it. Feel everything. Move on. Repeat this over and over until you no longer give a fuck anymore.

Lire

I Wanna Be, The Very Best. Like No One Ever Was!
Exposure.
Just let a whole bunch of people crap on you. But don't fight back.

Masochistically.

Once that's done, channel the fury and spite into your writing.

It's one of the most well-know methods of how to develop thick skin and I am also joking. Don't believe me. It's all BS.

Seriously though...
Well, I guess you should just accept that you suck.
Even if you're not. Tell yourself that you suck... FOR NOW.
Their criticism fuels your growth.
Use it. Until they can't say anything anymore.

Last edited:

LORD_SHAXX

Manny_Pardo.png

Your born with it.

Pujimaki

Padoru trash writer
Rinse it with water, then talk to it, praise it, so it will grow healthy and prideful. :blob_hmm:

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
dip yourself in molten metal and then spend some time in a slowly cooling box. :P
then you'll have skin so thick you could bounce bullets off your ass.