How Do You Write a Believable Male Protagonist?

Oreo

You don't.

If you are planning to release your story in SH, don't bother with making your MC, his backstory, and motivation believable.

People here don't care about quality as long as you write certain genres. Leave while you still can.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Read all five of my stories, especially HKN. I think that will give you the broadest possible 10000 foot view of realistic male MC ranging from the insane, to hyper masculine, to tortured, to just trying to get by while in absolutely impossible situations.

A woman is a human being, but a man is a human doing. Women are born into this world with value. Men have to earn it.

SailusGebel

Read all five of my stories, especially HKN. I think that will give you the broadest possible 10000 foot view of realistic male MC ranging from the insane, to hyper masculine, to tortured, to just trying to get by while in absolutely impossible situations.

A woman is a human being, but a man is a human doing. Women are born into this world with value. Men have to earn it.
BASED. :blob_shade:

rain-090

See Denji, conclude that we want simplistic things.

Then continue on seeing Denji's journey after Makima, conclude we are nuance beings that still want simplistic things.

Conclusion? We want boobs and a girl's lap to rest our head on, while also having that said girl to listen to our plights and dream without being called weak, the end.
What is Denji?

Africanchieftainsson

Last in line of succession
Basically don't see guys as romantic options. Only as competition... Actually, what genre is it. Is it...romance....?

Preach, Andrew Tate🙆

WingsOfPhantasy

Tomboy Agenda Symphathizer
Copy a Ryan Gosling character and convert it to written form. Boom, there, done.

Last edited:

MajorKerina

*uncertain shrug*

I mean there’s not that much difference I like to say but there’s a certain flavor to male characters who appeal to male readers and who appeal to female readers. If you’re just writing to write a character start with yourself and start twisting aspects as you would imagine a reality where you were simply born differently. All that is backstory.

The specifics of how you choose to write the character are going to be different. I could just completely recite my recent post on how to write a female character. Generally for the sake of stories it tends to be female characters are socially/who they know driven and male characters tend to be more individualistic and driven by what and ideas and abstractions. Also how someone’s brain functions is not bound by their physical gender and sex.

One thing that could help you with more concrete scaffolds and templates to work from is to go to a place like TV tropes, don’t get lost please in the website… but you can look at different character types which are close to the one you want to create and see the male version of that and then look at examples and then shape a character largely by your own experiences. I also recommend going out and watching people in the world in general… so long as you don’t get arrested. The interior mind space of men I found is both wildly intricate and yet not all that convoluted. There’s a couple different memes out there where the spouse is looking over at the man and she thinks that he’s thinking about someone else and he’s just there puzzling out the life cycles of Pokémon.