How Do You Write Good Fight Scenes?

Notadate

I was going to stay out of this since I can say a lot on this subject, but I feel the urge to add a little something.

Overall, there are two types of fight scenes in fiction: entertaining and gritty. Think of this as the fight's tone. There can be a mix, but... we'll worry about that later.

If you're doing gritty, write violence realistically. Make it nasty, brutal, and quick. These are the type where fight scenes are over quite quick. It's more about the build-up to the fight and the aftermath. With this approach, aim to make the reader feel revulted and horrified. This is when fight scenes lean more towards shock.

Entertainment is far more about spectacle and theatre. The fight action is more prolonged here and get to show off behavior and display impressive skills more.

These types are the ones that use locations more creatively, more crazy feats, etc.

Finally, of course, can blend elements of both. Like you lean overall into the spectacle, but still draw some gritty elements with how it impacts the fighters ultimately.

The only other thing I can toss out immediately is something I once made a video on. Here you go if this can help you:

This video is more suited for the spectacle end of the spectrum. That's why I explained that first before linking.
Also watch actual fights of professionals.

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
Also watch actual fights of professionals.

Yes, that can help, though it doesn't teach anything about applying it artistically. I'd recommend it, but I doubt it alone will lead to breakthroughs for people who are seeking greater insight.

But that's just my experience with such advice in a vacuum.

Notadate

Yes, that can help, though it doesn't teach anything about applying it artistically. I'd recommend it, but I doubt it alone will lead to breakthroughs for people who are seeking greater insight.

But that's just my experience with such advice in a vacuum.
Nod nod. But it helps for a visualization. To write it and make someone feel it, is way harder

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
Nod nod. But it helps for a visualization. To write it and make someone feel it, is way harder

Oh yeah, agreed big time there!

I so need to get to making a video on all I can offer on this topic... But later, one thing at a time.

CrimsonGenius

Riding the Thunder
How you write the fight. Do you want them grounded, jumping around, or flying. How fast are they? Are they going to stumble? Is there going to be property damage?

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
I am no expert myself, but I feel like my fight scenes are only half-decent parts of my story, so:

First, choose your style. How realistic you want the fight scenes to be. Will your character slash through steel plates as if they don't exist, or will its sword bounce back in the first wrong move and will be beaten to death by a stick with a funny metal ball on its tip? But remember, your options are not limited to these two. Think of this as a slider.

Then comes the length of the fights
That is dynamic since a fight against a single goon and the story's main villain taking the same amount of time would be absurd, but the main idea is how flashy you want your fights to be. I prefer something in the middle.

Example: I raised my shield and blocked the ax coming at me. The strength behind the swing shook my arm, but I can endure this much. I pushed bandit's weapon away and thrust my rapier forward. The thin blade pierced cloth and flesh until it reached the bandit's heart.

You can play with this and turn it into something more flashy like (warning I tried too hard, and it actually became cringe, don't do this):

I raised my shield and blocked the ferocious ax aimed at my head. The strength behind the attack damaged my shield, scattered wood pieces around, and shook my body, but this was nothing as I endured more before. Quickly, I pushed away the weapon with great strength and caused the foolish bandit to give me a generous opening. I changed my stance and aimed my rapier's tip at my foe's heart. I leaped forward using whatever strength I had in my legs. My blade pierced through layers of cloth and soft tissue until it reached the bandit's heart.

Or you can make it simpler by:

I blocked the incoming attack, pushed bandit's ax away, then thrust my rapier forward to land the killing blow.

The last thing is the dialogue. I prefer using it, but not too much.

I feel like a battle cry before battle or a slur when taking a non-mortal blow adds realism, but of course, this depends on the context. Against an important character, where it's not just a clash of weapons but ideas, all things they stand for, etc. Go all out. Give that epic feeling straight into your readers' veins.

Also, I don't know about you, but this is a mistake I always make. For some reason, the past tense of thrust is thrust and not thrusted. Island people who really like tea have a weird language.

(Sorry for grammar and spelling mistakes, my brain is not braining for a while.)

DarkDuck09

John raised his fists in front of himself. Andrea outstretched her own, unphased by what could only be described as John's dick measuring contest.

"That's right, John. Put up your dukes, let's get down to it," Andrea said, sauntering toward John with a smirk. "Hit me with your best shot."

The two break out into the classic Pat Benatar song, "Hit Me With Your Best Shot." What had been a fight moments ago had turned into a raging dance. By the time they had sang the entire song they were sweaty, nude, and breathless. Then they fucked.

The end.