Writing How important is character arc to you?

BlackKnightX

I'm talking about the more nuanced definition of character arc, as in belief system and growth, not about the character progression (from a noob village boy to a literal demon god, etc.).

For example: a character who starts off believing making money is everything and then learns to care about those around him as well (change in belief system) or a character who starts off a snotty brat and learns to be more mature and responsible (growth). I am, of course, also talking about the flat arc where the character starts off complete and then proceeds to change others around them.

My question is: is this really important for you both as a reader and a writer? What if there's a very interesting and likable character who has no arc—flat or round—whatsoever? Will you still find the story compelling? Please, share.

Nobody_12

I'm talking about the more nuanced definition of character arc, as in belief system and growth, not about the character progression (from a noob village boy to a literal demon god, etc.).

For example: a character who starts off believing making money is everything and then learns to care about those around him as well (change in belief system) or a character who starts off a snotty brat and learns to be more mature and responsible (growth). I am, of course, also talking about the flat arc where the character starts off complete and then proceeds to change others around them.

My question is: is this really important for you both as a reader and a writer? What if there's a very interesting and likable character who has no arc—flat or round—whatsoever? Will you still find the story compelling? Please, share.
Iam not very sure .

But the change in the character is required slightly as it is experiencing something new and learning something different.

The story will be still interesting if the character slightly change from their experiences

Not like a huge change but change of how they thought or act.

But the change can be bigger if they have some connection or trauma with the new experience.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
If the character does not change or grow no matter what, chances are that's a plot device and not a character.

Even a slight change in perspective could be accounted as "arc".

MintiLime

Unofficial Class President, Author
Usually power growth is also associated with changes in mentality just because the stakes are upped. I would think it’s nearly impossible to write that style of story without some change occurring

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!

Incredibly important. There needs to be character arcs, for them or others. As a writer, if I do not have a defined story arc, with development and resolution, then I am not satisfied. It’s not a good story if that’s the case. As a reader, the same is true. I have had a couple exceptions where I am just in the mood for trash, but there needs be character and story arcs otherwise.
~It is the only way to be!!!~ *incredibly painful, abominably off key singing*
Sometimes I’m ok with background characters getting no development though.

Underload

Most published novels fantasy or otherwise are all about character's emotional progression. That's why most Mc's are usually losers at the start of the book. They are weak but ambitions or just driven, or something happens in the first act that give them the motivation. A fact that 99% of the web novels miss.

Whereas web novels are all about that story progression. That's why they are called addictive as fast food, but also forgetfull and shallow.

Zinless

How do I
I like character arcs, they give the best sense of progression in the story besides actual story progression. One of my favorites is Luke from Tales of The Abyss.

If you know, you know.

EternalSunset0

I use it as the basis of writing my arcs. Eventually, each major character gets explored, and the character arc's conclusion or turning point is the one that triggers aid character getting powers or powerups in my series. It's not always too drastic like a complete change in perspective or anything. Minor things like realizing what she really wants in life or understanding her own personality in a more complete manner would do.

As for enjoying a story myself, I don't think it's top priority. I think character arcs are cool, but it's not super required for enjoyment or liking a show/novel/character.

ReadLight

I mean, it depends on what you are trying to write. If you want to write a story of character(s) going through the classic hero's journey, then changes are probably what you and the readers want, otherwise, the journey would feel pretty meaningless.
There's a start, there's progress, then maybe a twist, finally ending in change.

But if you are serializing, chapter after chapter, then changes, at least what makes that character that character, should probably never change.
They go through the adventure, but then everyone knows the character will be back in the next chapter/arc for yet another adventure.

Think of it like this: Batman the movie: A structured story from start to conclusion. Bruce Wayne ends up different at the end compared to the beginning.
Batman the TV show: Structured episodes, maybe a few episodes are continuations, but mostly individualized stories. Batman is always batman, next episode there'll be another villain with a big bad plan waiting to be solved by our hero.

Something like that, I think.

Cortavar

For me, it all depends on the style of the story. If it's a one-shot story, even a long one, or some slice of life, I don't expect much character development. Sure, it's almost always welcome when it happens, but the appeal of the story is elsewhere, including in a reassuring sense of familiarity with the characters. Frenco-Belgian comic characters (think Asterisk, Tintin, the Smurfs etc...) rarely evolve and they're beloved as they are.

On the other hand, if your story has episodes and continuity, a modicum of development is expected. It doesn't need to be an arc in and off itself, it can happen insidiously, but be it a love story or an epic tale, the character of the first chapter is rarely the same as the same character in the last chapter.

Yet subverting expectations can also feed the plot. The unyielding hero who refuses to adapt to the peace he has sacrificed so much for, the hopelessly aloof love interest who misses all the clues and ends up discarded, for exemple, are valid characterisation tropes. But they are only valid insofar as the rest of the characters are at least a bit dynamic and have some character development.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Very important. The character has to grow internally in some way for me to feel as though I haven't been cheated by poor writing. If the character becomes all powerful without growing internally then it's just a pointless power trip fantasy that could be done by any character but if they do grow, it becomes a much more impactful story.