How many chapters do you read before posting a review?

DaScoot

If it's a story I'm keeping up with, once I've finished the released chapters. If it's one I'm dropping, then only if I feel confident that the amount I read is representative of the story as a whole. If I haven't finished the first arc I just forget it and move on.

Sylver

I try to read the whole story, or if not then I read the first act when its finished. If an act is presented (as in, they don't have acts in their story) and the story is still ongoing, then I read the amount of chapters that are available first.

I've only written one review after reading the whole story when it had finished. The writer mentioned they will continue the story in the future, so my review is based all the chapters it had available at that time.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
How many chapters do you guys typically read on a particular fiction before you post a review? After 10 chapters? 20 chapters? 50 chapters?

Or do you do it based on word-count? After 10,000 words? 20,000 words? 30,000 words?

Or maybe it's based some other factor?

Please, I really want to know.

P. S. Also, if you like, you are welcome to read my fiction, My Girlfriend Is a Succubus, and leave a review. It's up to you. Be warned, it got plenty of sexual content, but is also funny and heartwarming. Check it out!
I read until I catch-up/finish the story, or until I drop it, before I post a review.

Comiak

Foxgirl enthusiast
:blob_hide: you should finish at least a significant portion of the story first and be able to recognize if you are the target audience. If not then you shouldn't be entitled to say anything other than mechanical type issues like Grammer or plot holes.

The content of reviews should be reserved to what you know. So if you have no idea how character arcs work then you shouldn't be criticizing it.

Of course you are always entitled to opinion on your personal experience, like what you didn't like but you should also be aware that you might just not be the target audience and thus what you don't like may not be useful criticism.
(I've seriously had people make reviews(on RR) because they didn't like that my story was not a power fantasy, clearly they weren't my target audience)