How many chapters do you read before posting a review?

NoFcuksGiven

How many chapters do you guys typically read on a particular fiction before you post a review? After 10 chapters? 20 chapters? 50 chapters?

Or do you do it based on word-count? After 10,000 words? 20,000 words? 30,000 words?

Or maybe it's based some other factor?

Please, I really want to know.

P. S. Also, if you like, you are welcome to read my fiction, My Girlfriend Is a Succubus, and leave a review. It's up to you. Be warned, it got plenty of sexual content, but is also funny and heartwarming. Check it out!

BernKatstel

Witch of miracles/Miracle feline
Depends on average word count, and if I like it. I prefer reading over 20 chapters before considering a public review in general, though. Otherwise I don’t think it’d be fair.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
20+, and after, I feel like some kind of arc has been closed in the story. It gives enough of a feeling of what kind of story/author it is for me to leave a review.

PS: I only leave reviews if I like the story because if I don't, I simply stop reading.

Daitengu

I only post a review if I really love a work, or it rustles ma jimmies. Unlike what most writers want, I feel I can't do a proper review unless I read the whole thing, or get so mad I drop it.

Bobple

Not really sure. I mostly only review things I at least enjoyed. But even then, I don't do them often at all.

But, I try to wait until there is at least a good amount of chew on. Whether that is a least an arc or 2 depends. :blob_cookie:

Lorelliad

call me Roamer 🎩
I can't take anyone who reviews something after one or two chapters seriously, whether it be good or bad.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
I possess the ability to write a review by merely glancing at the cover.

Lysander_Works

20 seems like a good and common number.
Of course, some stories are just built differently in how much of it is represented in only 20 chapters. For most I would probably review at 20 CH if I'm still there and do another review if I fully finish the story after.

Seeing this reminds me of one fair flaw I've deemed within my own story; that the dynamics of it change dramatically a bit after CH20, and though my opinion is of course biased, has much more to it when that second part drops. I could have done better with that; I just didn't realize how it would turn out until way later in time...

l8rose

Perpetually Positively Pondering
Haven't reviewed anything on here yet, but I do put reviews on NU when I've finished reading the novel and on IF demos on CoG (used to anyway). So anywhere between 3 chapters and 2000+ chapters (god I regret reading that one). That being said, I don't read a large variety of themes (think I'm sitting at about 80 reviews on NU) so I suppose the variety of reviews are limited to what I like as well.

That being said, I have given reviews where I gave up on reading the novel because it was really bad but I generally try to make it at least halfway through in those cases.

Alfir

The Inventor of Words
Until I am annoyed, or if I finish it.

2wordsperminute

Up until I feel like I can make a meaningful review that's more than just "Is good. You should read!" or "Not worth your time." (I probably wouldn't give the second one anyways though).

So basically never. At least so far.

LilRora

Mostly formless
I don't do reviews often. If I want to tell the author what I think, I usually say it in comments. If I had to write a review though, it would be either after finishing the story, or after dropping it.

OP1000

If there is a story that I want to review, I either review it after I have caught up to the latest chapter of the story and if said story has at least 50 chapters out or I will wait until the current arc of the story I wish to review is finished before writing a review for said story. This is for ongoing works.

If I am reviewing a completed work, the I will review it after I have finished reading the entire work.

Last edited:

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
I try to be up to date when I review. But if a story particularly grips me i might review then