How many of you actually modify the main site view through Release Filters?

Release Filter main page or not?

• Total voters

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
Nothing changes that much, though. :blob_popcorn_two: A lot of stuff that pops up in there is the same exact stuff I would have discovered anyway, but that's literally because the genres I am interested in get updated and new releases SO rarely. :blob_teary:
That's pretty much what I was expecting. Like, taking a quick look, BL only has 16 pages in the whole genre, 3 of those are filled with completed stuff (so won't update), and a whole 8 pages (so half of the genre) is apparently in hiatus and thus doesn't update either. We're just not yet at the stage where we have enough stories on SH to really need the filtering.
Over on NU, it's a different matter. 54 pages for Yaoi+Shounen Ai, 16 pages completed, 14 pages in hiatus. I have my release filtering over there to only show those genres and I'm seeing something new and interesting at least every few days under the latest updates, sometimes even daily. I have so many stories on my reading list that I can't even begin to catch up and just throw them on there as well.
So, I'd reckon that SH needs to (in regard to this genre, might be different with others) at least double in size before the release filtering starts showing us interesting stuff we haven't already seen and might want to check out.

Queenfisher

Bird?
That's pretty much what I was expecting. Like, taking a quick look, BL only has 16 pages in the whole genre, 3 of those are filled with completed stuff (so won't update), and a whole 8 pages (so half of the genre) is apparently in hiatus and thus doesn't update either. We're just not yet at the stage where we have enough stories on SH to really need the filtering.
Over on NU, it's a different matter. 54 pages for Yaoi+Shounen Ai, 16 pages completed, 14 pages in hiatus. I have my release filtering over there to only show those genres and I'm seeing something new and interesting at least every few days under the latest updates, sometimes even daily. I have so many stories on my reading list that I can't even begin to catch up and just throw them on there as well.
So, I'd reckon that SH needs to (in regard to this genre, might be different with others) at least double in size before the release filtering starts showing us interesting stuff we haven't already seen and might want to check out.

I end up using it for non-BL, actually because, like I said elsewhere -- I'll raid that BL ranking list on my own without any prompting :blob_evil: . But it astounds me how much stuff that would otherwise slip through the cracks shows up even with using the few filters I do. All of them too eclectic to be find-able otherwise.

So I mainly use the filter to give visibility to the things outside of my main genre preferences). Helped me find some cute works, thus far ^^.

Queenfisher

Bird?
I think you actually said that before. I just jumped on BL as an example because that would be my filter :blob_sweat: And yeah, I think somebody in another thread said that the filtering doesn't work as well here? :blob_hmm_two:

How can BL be your filter :blob_blank:?

Would you just... ❌ all the other genres? For some reason, even imagining it is funny because of how small our updating pool is. On a serious note, I have no idea how ✅-side of the Release Filter works. Does it, really? I didn't want to use the nuking function of the genres at first, but then I realized that just selecting the "positive" preference does nothing, so I had to nuke the unappealing genres instead.

Do you mean this thread?

It's about nuking literally everything, so is not a bug, really ^^. According to Tony, at least.

yansusustories

How can BL be your filter :blob_blank:?

Would you just... ❌ all the other genres? For some reason, even imagining it is funny because of how small our updating pool is. On a serious note, I have no idea how ✅-side of the Release Filter works. Does it, really? I didn't want to use the nuking function of the genres at first, but then I realized that just selecting the "positive" preference does nothing, so I had to nuke the unappealing genres instead.

Do you mean this thread?

It's about nuking literally everything, so is not a bug, really ^^. According to Tony, at least.
Ah, yes, that, guess I didn't read the answer :blob_sweat:

And I don't have it on SH so far precisely because of the small pool of things it would do. But I have the exact filter for yaoi and shounen-ai over on NU. I think it really was alright to just greenlight those two? *goes to check* So I looked and, yep, I really just wrote those two down in the 'genres include' part. I left the rest empty. So far, it has worked well. And I think it should do the same on SH? :blob_blank:

Edit: I just tried it on SH and it works with just ticking BL and ignoring the rest. Just makes some gaps appear on the main page but everything is suddenly BL :blob_melt:

Queenfisher

Bird?
Ah, yes, that, guess I didn't read the answer :blob_sweat:

And I don't have it on SH so far precisely because of the small pool of things it would do. But I have the exact filter for yaoi and shounen-ai over on NU. I think it really was alright to just greenlight those two? *goes to check* So I looked and, yep, I really just wrote those two down in the 'genres include' part. I left the rest empty. So far, it has worked well. And I think it should do the same on SH? :blob_blank:

Edit: I just tried it on SH and it works with just ticking BL and ignoring the rest. Just makes some gaps appear on the main page but everything is suddenly BL :blob_melt:

WHUT?

o_o

*is probably doing something wrong as is expected :blob_no: *

yansusustories

WHUT?

o_o

*is probably doing something wrong as is expected :blob_no: *
Like, if this is my release filtering on SH:
Screenshot (10).png

Then this is what my main page looks like:
Screenshot (11).png

So I check the box for BL and just don't do anything for the other genres. That way, everything that shows up is BL (because while the rest is not excluded, it isn't included either).

Queenfisher

Bird?
Like, if this is my release filtering on SH:
View attachment 5027

Then this is what my main page looks like:
View attachment 5028

So I check the box for BL and just don't do anything for the other genres. That way, everything that shows up is BL (because while the rest is not excluded, it isn't included either).

I understand why... I ✅ Slice of Life, GL, and Fantasy/Supernatural as well, and that automatically allows too many other stuff to pop up, thus not changing the tab too much.

So I have to actively discourage stuff rather than encourage for it to be more diverse than the normal view, huh... :blob_sweat:

Thanks! I thought I was doing something wrong at first, lol. But my preferences are just wider than I originally assumed!

yansusustories

I understand why... I ✅ Slice of Life, GL, and Fantasy/Supernatural as well, and that automatically allows too many other stuff to pop up, thus not changing the tab too much.

So I have to actively discourage stuff rather than encourage for it to be more diverse than the normal view, huh... :blob_sweat:

Thanks! I thought I was doing something wrong at first, lol. But my preferences are just wider than I originally assumed!
That is the one thing that's great about reading exclusively BL but not caring about what else is thrown in the mix :blob_melt: If I excluded stuff, I would be worried about missing out something that I might technically like. E.g., I normally don't like criminal stories but I would totally read one if it contains enough BL :blob_sweat:

I think the problem is that lots of stories just have soooo many genres that it's difficult because they'll pop up some way or the other. Like, just look at the latest releases I get even if I only include BL: Some have 9 effing genres :blob_blank: This actually makes me wonder if there is a way to make certain stories unable to appear. Like, if I see that I actively dislike a story, can I block that from view? :blob_hmm_two:

Queenfisher

Bird?
That is the one thing that's great about reading exclusively BL but not caring about what else is thrown in the mix :blob_melt: If I excluded stuff, I would be worried about missing out something that I might technically like. E.g., I normally don't like criminal stories but I would totally read one if it contains enough BL :blob_sweat:

I think the problem is that lots of stories just have soooo many genres that it's difficult because they'll pop up some way or the other. Like, just look at the latest releases I get even if I only include BL: Some have 9 effing genres :blob_blank: This actually makes me wonder if there is a way to make certain stories unable to appear. Like, if I see that I actively dislike a story, can I block that from view? :blob_hmm_two:

I heard somewhere that @AliceShiki said she does it through the Reading List, blocking a specific List from ever appearing.

The downside is that it does seem from the side as though you are the Reader of that story even if you are literally the opposite. :blobrofl:

(Thus, I think discovering @AliceShiki adding anyone's story to her Reading List might be really scary if we all know this tweak of hers, lol. Chances are -- she just did it to ignore it! :blob_no:. But her presence still adds up to the overall Reader Count so probably most wouldn't care...)

yansusustories

I heard somewhere that @AliceShiki said she does it through the Reading List, blocking a specific List from ever appearing.

The downside is that it does seem from the side as though you are the Reader of that story even if you are literally the opposite. :blobrofl:

(Thus, I think discovering @AliceShiki adding anyone's story to her Reading List might be really scary if we all know this tweak of hers, lol. Chances are -- she just did it to ignore it! :blob_no:. But her presence still adds up to the overall Reader Count so probably most wouldn't care...)
Ah, right, I remember reading that. Guess I'll try that if I need to :blob_joy:

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I am already doing it over on NU so I guess I will do it on SH one day as well. So far, SH isn't that big yet though that I feel it's already necessary. Also, I am slightly worried that doing so will be good as a reader but not as an author. E.g., if it filters out new stories and I have my filters set to only show the genre I both read and write, then I'd have a skewed perspective of what is going on for the vanilla users on the main page. So I'm a bit reluctant to actually do it. I think I'd ignore that though if the site was much bigger because then filtering as a reader would be more important than being able to have a look as an author.
Honestly, I pay 0 attention to what is popular or not in the main page, I figure I'd rather write what I want to write instead of worrying about what people want to read.

I did it on NU, but I don't read enough stuff on Scribbly to bother with that.

I also have like, 20 reading lists on NU I think... With the biggest one being the one with all stuff I don't want to read (It has over 1500 titles IIRC).

In Scribbly 1 list has been more than enough for me.

yansusustories

Honestly, I pay 0 attention to what is popular or not in the main page, I figure I'd rather write what I want to write instead of worrying about what people want to read.
Neither do I but I like to haunt the main page whenever I publish something new just to see it in the 'Latest Series' list. I don't even know why exactly, just makes me happy somehow :blob_melt: Probably because I know 'Yeah, for people who haven't filtered the heck out of SH, they can also see this story right now' :blob_aww: