How many of you actually modify the main site view through Release Filters?

Release Filter main page or not?

• Total voters

Queenfisher

Bird?
Just wondering.

Do people actually do that here or do most generally prefer to view the main site as it is (to know what's actually trending/updating) and filter it out only mentally? Or maybe you don't even need to since the front page reflects exactly everything you want to see on it? :blob_reach:

I do both depending on my mood because, tbh, the trending page can get pretty monotonous to look at and since I almost never discover anything appealing from it, I change the site to heavy Release Filters. But other times, I decide to go back to see what SH really looks like, :blob_blank: .

Also share your combo of Release Filters if you dare ^^.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I filter out everything I know I won't read anyways.

Now I just need to wait until Tony updates the Release Filter to allow us to filter by tags, then I can finally get rid of most stuff I am sure I won't read~

Cossimeri

Purveyor of Yuri Adventures
I've never used the filters. Though there are some tags I'd like to never see again lol

I didn't even know a filter exists :blob_hmm:
It's current;y the best scavenger hunt on this site!!

Ral

You might also want to consider readers/users who doesn't register or doesn't log-in. I think they are a pretty sizable chunk of SH readers. Release Filtering doesn't work unless you are logged-in so it is pretty much non-existent for these type of readers.

Laeyioun

|Daydreaming Literate Mon~key|
I've never used release filter for scribbly, but I did do it on NUF. There were too many bl novels that I had to filter them out :sweat_smile:
I'm the same! I press '-' for Shounen Ai, Shoujo Ai, Yaoi, Yuri on NUF. It's a habit now because one time I read something truly refreshing, but it turned out to be BL -_-. Still bummed. I'm just not ready yet for stuff like that xD

For release filters, it's not always accurate for me because the search engine includes and prioritizes chosen tags even if you blocked some tags/genres, or the author's usage of tags/genres aren't always the best so I might miss some with missing tags. It's the best if I'm looking for books with specific stuff (like tagging teacher or spies as there are good stuff in those) and preferably only few tags while limiting ratings to 3.8 or 4.0 and above stars.
edit: sometimes the filtering isn't the best too, especially if there are too many tags.
edit 2: it's my first post too, so yay :)

deltanz

Vanguard Squad
I've only got one thing unchecked right now i don't want in my feed but for a while there i wasn't using it.

Milk.Milkan

Me Milk, me smart.
Just a bit.
Безымянный.png

Ruriha

Well-known Procrastinator
I'm the same! I press '-' for Shounen Ai, Shoujo Ai, Yaoi, Yuri on NUF. It's a habit now because one time I read something truly refreshing, but it turned out to be BL -_-. Still bummed. I'm just not ready yet for stuff like that xD

For release filters, it's not always accurate for me because the search engine includes and prioritizes chosen tags even if you blocked some tags/genres, or the author's usage of tags/genres aren't always the best so I might miss some with missing tags. It's the best if I'm looking for books with specific stuff (like tagging teacher or spies as there are good stuff in those) and preferably only few tags while limiting ratings to 3.8 or 4.0 and above stars.
edit: sometimes the filtering isn't the best too, especially if there are too many tags.
edit 2: it's my first post too, so yay :)
I get especially disappointed when I see interesting premise only to realize that it's a BL or Shounen AI. It happened so frequently that I eventually filtered it out. It's not really my thing.

Xobotun

I've never modified the main page (I didn't know it was possible, but that's cool!), yet when I look out for new novels, I do use filters, yes. :D

And I've found a few good novels clicking on thw main page. :3

Kldran

I almost never visit the main page, so I never even looked for options, much less knew there were any. When I do check the main page, it's usually just to see what titles are on the trending page (mainly out of curiosity).

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I've been tempted to many times, but I like seeing what's actually popular and kicking around on the larger Scribble Hub.

And yet, I'm curious what would pop up as trending purely for BL or GL...

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
I am already doing it over on NU so I guess I will do it on SH one day as well. So far, SH isn't that big yet though that I feel it's already necessary. Also, I am slightly worried that doing so will be good as a reader but not as an author. E.g., if it filters out new stories and I have my filters set to only show the genre I both read and write, then I'd have a skewed perspective of what is going on for the vanilla users on the main page. So I'm a bit reluctant to actually do it. I think I'd ignore that though if the site was much bigger because then filtering as a reader would be more important than being able to have a look as an author.

bafflinghaze

I don't use the front page, because the stories there don't have their summaries which to me are super important.

That said, I do filter out some things with the Release Filter so that if I do land on the front page, I won't see them :sweat_smile:

Queenfisher

Bird?
You might also want to consider readers/users who doesn't register or doesn't log-in. I think they are a pretty sizable chunk of SH readers. Release Filtering doesn't work unless you are logged-in so it is pretty much non-existent for these type of readers.

No need because this option literally doesn't exist for them. We have talked about it a lot in other threads and while I am on the side that thinks it would be beneficial to allow such a feature (or some version of it) to the non-logined users, it's hard to apply. So, useless to speak about here :blob_reach: .

I almost never visit the main page, so I never even looked for options, much less knew there were any. When I do check the main page, it's usually just to see what titles are on the trending page (mainly out of curiosity).
And yet, I'm curious what would pop up as trending purely for BL or GL...

I am already doing it over on NU so I guess I will do it on SH one day as well. So far, SH isn't that big yet though that I feel it's already necessary.

Essentially yes, that's the main issue for me. I either don't Release Filter AND stop using the main page altogether because there will be literally nothing that appeals to me there, or I have to resort to using the filter.

It began as a "mental" filter when I would just glance over the stuff I don't care about but then I realized I glance over the actual 100% of stuff there, lol. So, prompted by @AliceShiki 's endorsements of Release Filtering I decided why not! The main page already doesn't do its job for me and is next to useless. I might as well filter it and see what happens :blob_popcorn:.

Nothing changes that much, though. :blob_popcorn_two: A lot of stuff that pops up in there is the same exact stuff I would have discovered anyway, but that's literally because the genres I am interested in get updated and new releases SO rarely. :blob_teary: Mainly, if I filter for BL, I'll see the same three-five titles popping up and nothing else because almost nothing else is being written/updated consistently. (And one of them is my own book, which makes it feel even more... :blob_sweat:).

I've been tempted to many times, but I like seeing what's actually popular and kicking around on the larger Scribble Hub.

Also, I am slightly worried that doing so will be good as a reader but not as an author. E.g., if it filters out new stories and I have my filters set to only show the genre I both read and write, then I'd have a skewed perspective of what is going on for the vanilla users on the main page. So I'm a bit reluctant to actually do it.

The button "view more" both on Trending and New Releases gives the actual view. I glance at it once in a couple of days to see the discrepancy between my filtered view and the real one, but so far, the Filter seems to align very well with what I would "mentally" filter out anyway, so does that job for me at least :blob_evil_two:.

Also made me realize that there ARE some sweet fantasy, josei, historicals, calm and quiet slice of life on SH without smut, harem, ecchi, and LitRPG drowning them out all the time. They tend to disappear from the main page very fast otherwise, and the Release Filter actually prolongs the duration such items are there and finally lets me see them. Because I open that page only 1-2 a day, and the rotation of the Unfiltered view there can be very fast, I would miss them 100% :blob_frown: