How Many Words Do You Guys Average Per Chapter

JohnHKnight

I have two stories, one of them unpublished as of yet, the other you can read here. Now that latter one has longer chapters, min 2000 words, but often longer than 3000. In the other one I try to write shorter chapters, around 1000 words, intentionally, so it won't be too "wordy" and slow burner.

Schwab

I have two stories, one of them unpublished as of yet, the other you can read here. Now that latter one has longer chapters, min 2000 words, but often longer than 3000. In the other one I try to write shorter chapters, around 1000 words, intentionally, so it won't be too "wordy" and slow burner.
my main story often has chapters that cab be as short as 300~ words. easy to write, but a pain to read.

JohnHKnight

Then maybe you should consider lengthen them a little? Sometimes I feel even 1000 words are quite short as a chapter.

LordAstrea

Catgirl Addict
Around 3k words on average. Some short and some longer. Depends on if the content calls for it. I take a number of days to finish but don't know how much time spent per day. Sometimes you need to let your mind sit for a bit. I usually write that amount of words a few hours a day over two or three days and then edit basic stuff (grammar, punctuation, etc.) Then I do another thorough reading and find ways to better portray events and do more advanced editing (sometimes large chunks get added or removed). Then some more little bits for plot and character consistency. I take a while. lol.

TheMangaGod

NOT a Yandere Imouto Loli Goddess I Swear
I average around 2000ish per chapter, funny enough I'm not really trying to do that many words because I generally write until a good stopping point appears or a good cliffhanger...

Freesia.Cutepearl

Nonsensically Weird while Weirdly Nonsensical
Not far enough in yet to really know for sure, but I seem to be around 3k, I had a couple that was more in the uh.. 2.5k area? but then two that were close to 6k? I tend to just write until I feel like I found a good stopping point, regardless of words. If I feel like it's too short for Lilith's part, then it's a great chance to advance side plots of other things/characters.

DreamOfRen

1.2k and generally about 2 chapters in just over an hour. That doesn't really include revision or edits thought.

MajorKerina

I like 2000 to 3000 if it's a backlog work I'm presenting which is super long. Medium ones can range from 1500 to 2000+. If I have to break up an old work into more of a serial form then I do take pacing into consideration.

New works for the site have ranged from 600 in a prologue to 4200 in a Halloween chapter recently. Whatever feels right. When you push over 2000 frequently I've found it gets into diminishing returns so far as whether people read it. I also try to update daily though.

Chaaruzu_Corner

Young Senior Member
Man reading through this thread I really do felt I tunnel visioned myself xD my chapter on the shortest is about 3.9k and the longest average is like 5.2k, while the longest chapter I ever wrote is 8.3k so yeah. So the average chapter length is like 4.5k per chapter. Man do my averages so above from the others lol

Symphony

I usually do 4k per 2 days, but it usually accumulates to losing more and more ideas to write so I often write something trash-worthy.