How much time would be good for speed running 1k word chapters?

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
So, I'm lazy at writing so I decided to make a challenge for myself. I'll make a relatively low-effort mediocre web serial but I'll write 1k words a day for it in a short amount of time. I don't count editing in this.

The reason I'm posting this is to ask, what would be a good time limit to set? 30 minutes? 20? 15? 10?

I tend to lose track of time while writing so I don't know what's the optimal amount of time to make a coherent chapter. So that's why I'd like the opinion of other writers.

Last edited:

virgilknightley

The reason I'm posting this is to ask, what would be a good time limit to set? 30 minutes? 20? 15? 10?
If you can write 1000 words in 10 minutes you have a bright career ahead of you. 30 minutes is realistic enough for me, personally. I typically do 2k per hour so seems about right.

Antianhou

If you can write 1000 words in 10 minutes you have a bright career ahead of you. 30 minutes is realistic enough for me, personally. I typically do 2k per hour so seems about right.
Not to derail the topic, but how do you manage 2k per hour? I'm struggling to fit that in three and am looking for tips to improve my chap-writing speed (my typing speed is fine).

SailusGebel

Not to derail the topic, but how do you manage 2k per hour? I'm struggling to fit that in three and am looking for tips to improve my chap-writing speed (my typing speed is fine).
Experience, inspiration, planning.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
So, I'm lazy at writing so I decided to make a challenge for myself. I'll make a relatively low-effort mediocre web serial but I'll write 1k words a day for it in a short amount of time. I don't count editing in this.

I tend to lose track of time while writing so I don't know what's the optimal amount of time to make a coherent chapter. So that's why I'd like the opinion of other writers.
30 would be enough yeah. hell, just find any random mediocre story and just copy and paste, then. But change it a lil bit so the teacher wont know

virgilknightley

I worked my butt off to be able to type 100 words a minute so that makes the stream of ideas a lot more of a natural flow. To start a session, set the manageable goal of 300 words in ten minutes. Just stick to that and you’ll get there soon.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I worked my butt off to be able to type 100 words a minute so that makes the stream of ideas a lot more of a natural flow. To start a session, set the manageable goal of 300 words in ten minutes. Just stick to that and you’ll get there soon.
typing speed matters fuck all, you can get by with 50 words per minute just fine, the only thing that makes writing longer is the actual writing portion. By which i mean, do you plan every single aspect of the chapter first? if so, this isn't a problem. But if you just make it up as you go along, for the most part, then its going to take longer. And that's not even counting any light editing or changes you'll maybe want to make
EDIT Not saying your hard work to get 100wpm is useless, don't misunderstand. Just that for creative writing, its not hugely important. Storyboarding is what really takes up the time

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
I type faster than I can formulate the flow of the chapter, so unless you have the entire chapter figured out wpm is not too important. It helps a lot with editing though.
30 would be enough yeah. hell, just find any random mediocre story and just copy and paste, then. But change it a lil bit so the teacher wont know
I'd like to imagine someone actually did that, became popular and no one ever found out because the source was so obscure.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I type faster than I can formulate the flow of the chapter, so unless you have the entire chapter figured out wpm is not too important. It helps a lot with editing though.

I'd like to imagine someone actually did that, became popular and no one ever found out because the source was so obscure.
you can do this with basically any xianxia novel i bet. I'm sure its been done too

virgilknightley

typing speed matters fuck all, you can get by with 50 words per minute just fine, the only thing that makes writing longer is the actual writing portion. By which i mean, do you plan every single aspect of the chapter first? if so, this isn't a problem. But if you just make it up as you go along, for the most part, then its going to take longer. And that's not even counting any light editing or changes you'll maybe want to make
EDIT Not saying your hard work to get 100wpm is useless, don't misunderstand. Just that for creative writing, its not hugely important. Storyboarding is what really takes up the time
I generally have an idea when I start writing, and a list of things that have to be addressed sooner or later, but I don’t plan in advance. I have had 17000 word days before, and I do not think I’d have been able to do that if I didn’t have the typing speed I have. 2000 words an hour with no outlining/planning is about right I think for most pantsers, but I’ve done as much as 3000 in an hour.

Cipiteca396

[Contradiction]: Imperative
I generally have an idea when I start writing, and a list of things that have to be addressed sooner or later, but I don’t plan in advance. I have had 17000 word days before, and I do not think I’d have been able to do that if I didn’t have the typing speed I have. 2000 words an hour with no outlining/planning is about right I think for most pantsers, but I’ve done as much as 3000 in an hour.
My typing speed is kinda absurd. I took so many typing classes going through school, and then I refined it further by playing TTT and Overwatch without a mic. Nothing makes you type faster than having to type out some dumb ID like "xXkittyhawkXx is a traitor" while being shot at.

Despite that, I need something like 4-8 hours to type ~2k words when I'm writing. All that excessive practice is meaningless if you just sit there not knowing what to type.
I'll make a relatively low-effort mediocre web serial but I'll write 1k words a day for it in a short amount of time.
Isn't this question redundant? Write 1k words a day. The faster you do it, the more time you can spend doing other things. If you want, you can time yourself, and see if you get faster over time.

Kyonio

I listen to music when I'm writing so it just depends on the mood/if really enjoy writing a certain scene cuz I wiz through it when its like that but when its not at most I take 30-45 minutes.

Kitsura

If I’m feeling it I can write 1k words in around 45 min but since your new probably 1.5 hours might be the sweet spot

Andrew_Udell

It really depends on the complexity, depth, and style of the story, along with other factors, like how much you plan ahead (although some authors really strive at making things up as they go). Since you said it was a low effort and are mostly looking to hit a benchmark, strive for 30 minutes to an hour, I would I guess. That's ~33 wpm on the high end and ~17 on the low end, so it's pretty achievable, depending on how quickly you type and how fast your ideas flow.