How popular are Wuxia series in this site?

Blackout

Worshipper of Chin Chin the Dark Lord
If I were to write one, how likely will readers actually read it?

aimless

Wanderer of Forums
If I were to write one, how likely will readers actually read it?
Xianxia and xuanhuan are more popular compared to wuxia, but most don’t do well here because a majority of people on this site come from it’s sister site, novelupdates and are more likely to have read more Xianxia/xuanhuan/wuxia than others(due to nu being only TLed novels and most cn novels are cultivation), and have grown to dislike it

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
^^ what they said. now, some sort of cultivation separate from wuxia/xianxia/xuanhuan tends to have a bit more success but that's usually because the author plays it in creative ways, either interesting or amusing.

but stock standard wuxia is probably not going to be greatly popular or anything.

BlackKnightX

It’s not really a popular trope here compared to gender-bend, GL, and isekai. Though, if your story is that good, your writing style accessible (for web novels, accessibility is more important than beautiful prose, in my opinion), and your content catchy enough, you’ll get readers anyway. Tags also help a lot, maybe even more so than genres.

Blackout

While I'm at it, can someone explain what's xianxia and xuanhuan? I understand Mandarin but I have no idea what they are.

SailusGebel

While I'm at it, can someone explain what's xianxia and xuanhuan? I understand Mandarin but I have no idea what they are.
Wuxia (武俠 wǔxiá) – literally means “Martial Heroes”. Fictional stories about regular humans who can achieve supernatural fighting ability through Chinese martial arts training and internal energy cultivation. Themes of chivalry, tragedy, revenge & romance are common.

Xianxia (仙侠 xiānxiá) – literally means “Immortal Heroes”. Fictional stories featuring magic, demons, ghosts, immortals, and a great deal of Chinese folklore/mythology. Protagonists (usually) attempt to cultivate to Immortality, seeking eternal life and the pinnacle of strength. Heavily inspired by Daoism.

• Comparison: If Wuxia is “low fantasy”, then Xianxia is “high fantasy”.
Xuanhuan (玄幻 xuánhuàn) – literally means “Mysterious Fantasy”. A broad genre of fictional stories which remixes Chinese folklore/mythology with foreign elements & settings.

• Xuanhuan and Xianxia novels may sometimes seem similar on the surface. Look for the presence of Daoist elements (the Dao, Yin and Yang, Immortals, etc…) in the novel to easily distinguish the two – if they aren’t present, then it’s probably a Xuanhuan novel.

Blackout

Wuxia (武俠 wǔxiá) – literally means “Martial Heroes”. Fictional stories about regular humans who can achieve supernatural fighting ability through Chinese martial arts training and internal energy cultivation. Themes of chivalry, tragedy, revenge & romance are common.

Xianxia (仙侠 xiānxiá) – literally means “Immortal Heroes”. Fictional stories featuring magic, demons, ghosts, immortals, and a great deal of Chinese folklore/mythology. Protagonists (usually) attempt to cultivate to Immortality, seeking eternal life and the pinnacle of strength. Heavily inspired by Daoism.

• Comparison: If Wuxia is “low fantasy”, then Xianxia is “high fantasy”.
Xuanhuan (玄幻 xuánhuàn) – literally means “Mysterious Fantasy”. A broad genre of fictional stories which remixes Chinese folklore/mythology with foreign elements & settings.

• Xuanhuan and Xianxia novels may sometimes seem similar on the surface. Look for the presence of Daoist elements (the Dao, Yin and Yang, Immortals, etc…) in the novel to easily distinguish the two – if they aren’t present, then it’s probably a Xuanhuan novel.
thanks so much