How to address different skin tones when writting

Freemints30

As person of colour who also grew up in a country where Mullato was also just was just a quick way to describe a person like black or white or blue. (I get why it's shitty, especially since Im not currently living there.)

Im also very confused by the "never use food descriptions for poc" Like.. what?

I get where that comes from, like its a such a cliché. To be describe as white you get Varity (snow, dove, milk, cream, ect)

What a dark person gets? chocolate.... maybe cocoa if the writer feels Avant gard. Like at least use your imaginations for once.

Also I blame erotica for making it seem fetishy "I licked at his chocolate skin, running my tongue over it until I reach his biggest chocolate lance of them all"

Im soo sorry.....

But yeah it got sooo over hated and usually see it by white people getting up in arms...

Really I feel like people who just say "don't describe skin colour, race don't matter" are missing the point. Lets be honest, most readers Ive seen unless pointed out other wise.. will just see a MC white and fair skin... with weird hair.. Nothing else and its kinda disheartening. Especially to see interpretations of your work that leaves them being POC out.

Really I just go, tanned, dark, brown, olive, white and move on cus Im not description kind of person. Im a more a dialogue person. But if you are a description person, I guess just find a Varity of descriptions than just chocolate.... you are web novel not mainstream work so little to worry.

Not_A_Symphony

Picasso 2.0
:blob_popcorn: I wasn't expecting this thread to become as big as it did but I am very happy since I got to see several different points of views on the matter.
Thank you for expressing your opinions on this!
I will try my best to do as you said, going to unusual comparisons (away from the typical "chocolate") and staying as neutral as I can.
Even though, since it is a fantasy world these characters with darker skin tones and more asian-like features are rare since they are from neighboring countries to the Kingdom itself.
Either ways, thank you so much everyone! :blobtaco:

P.S: Yes, I am sorry for disappointing you! I never read any books/novels with "jade" in it :blob_dizzy:

Vivian-M.K.

Another way is to just not. Force the reader to imagine what skin a person has themselves. No one can ever be offended that you leave it up to them.

Evershadows

This guide was recommended on the RR forums. I haven't read through all of its pages but it seems to be a good resource for adding diversity to your writing.