How to Nail and Hook with Opening Lines

Story_Marc

Share your fun!

This one is a bit of a doozy, but I went hardcore on this one since I wanted to be thorough. With this video, I provide you all with some five simple craft principle, over 40 techniques, and a tons of examples for you to reference and learn from. So, if you're someone who cares a great deal about hooking readers and wishes to put your best foot forward at the very beginning, I have your back.

melchi

What is a custom title?
Oh which story's opening line did marc use?

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
The only disagreement is, I didn't see anything about going simple.

When you are writing schlock, and the point of the story is it's Schlock, and you want the reader to have fun reading schlock, sometimes, you just come right out and say, "This is Schlock. Now buckle up, cause we gonna have some fun!"

Take I was summoned:
"So you are saying I was summoned by a supervillainess to another universe?"

What does this tell you? Everything you need to know. There is someone who has been summoned by a supervillainess to another universe. You know not to take this too seriously. The title and the opening line are virtually identical. There is no pretense. What you get is what you see on the label. Just relax and enjoy the ride.

I guess my point is, sometimes, don't overthink it and don't over sell it. You want the reader to know what they are getting into. They have many choices, make sure your choice doesn't fool the reader into thinking your story is something it isn't.

Last edited:

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
The only disagreement is, I didn't see anything about going simple.

When you are writing schlock, and the point of the story is it's Schlock, and you want the reader to have fun reading schlock, sometimes, you just come right out and say, "This is Schlock. Now buckle up, cause we gonna have some fun!"

Take I was summoned:
"So you are saying I was summoned by a supervillainess to another universe?"

What does this tell you? Everything you need to know. There is someone who has been summoned by a supervillainess to another universe. You know not to take this too seriously. The title and the opening line are virtually identical. There is no pretense. What you get is what you see on the label. Just relax and enjoy the ride.

I guess my point is, sometimes, don't overthink it and don't over sell it. You want the reader to know what they are getting into. They have many choices, make sure your choice doesn't fool the reader into thinking your story is something it isn't.
I didn't say anything that simplistic because I don't find those riveting at all. Others are free to go with those if they want, but I'm not going to encourage it if I don't feel it's effective.