How to reach a wider audience on scribblehub?

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
Welp, I'm an individual with trash taste, and I believe many on Scribblehub also are the same. So here's my opinion on your story: It's interesting, it's like that one hardcover book I have on my shelf that I bought on a sale but never got around to reading cause I was reading shitty JP web novels. Most novels on scribblehub are like junk food, you know it's bad, it's short, but it appeals to people's taste. Sorry if I sound rude, but there's a very low chance you'd reach a wider audience with that kind story on scribblehub, you should perhaps find another place? Honestly, if you enjoy writing it, then stick with it and you'll probably have a couple active readers who comment on each chapter.

JM_Webb

Paladin "Enthusiast"
Welp, I'm an individual with trash taste, and I believe many on Scribblehub also are the same. So here's my opinion on your story: It's interesting, it's like that one hardcover book I have on my shelf that I bought on a sale but never got around to reading cause I was reading shitty JP web novels
That sentence gave me a good chuckle, thanks.

D

Deleted member 45782

This one is actually literal, as the author, you must provide water and cookies to keep your readers hydrated and well-fed.
nah. famous authors feed you sugar only to butcher you in the next cliffhanger.

Sometimes it feels like cannot tell if people care more about getting their story to become popular vs making their story good, which can be two different things. Wonder if for the sake of popularity, how much will authors willingly change their story just to get popular?

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
nah. famous authors feed you sugar only to butcher you in the next cliffhanger.

Sometimes it feels like cannot tell if people care more about getting their story to become popular vs making their story good, which can be two different things. Wonder if for the sake of popularity, how much will authors willing to change their story just to get popular?
Hmmm. How much do you think a chef is willing to change their recipe to make people more interested in eating it?

Well, it's not like they can't use both recipes. Write two novels, as was suggested earlier.

Nanakawaichan

"Wracked with misfortune, a nameless village along the edge of the Gray Spine rejoiced at the arrival of a paladin. Those celebrations, though, turned to wary tension as the paladin brought an unknown into their midst - his wife, wearing the markings of both a necromancer and the thirteenth saint."

Bruh, your protagonist is a female with unique mix. Make a cover with that description. In anime style. A girl with both side a necro and saint. It will bring more readers.

I can't deny many readers prefer LitRPG/Isekai/Smut/Harem/Reincarnation/GL/Gender bender type novels, so novels that don't have those tags will have a hard time getting readers. As for smut, if you look at the trending, you'll see that smuts are rarely there. Sometimes the niche market also goes there. Just don't forget to update frequently. Even my non smut, non harem, non litRPG, non isekai, non reincarnation novel still get readers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 45782

Hmmm. How much do you think a chef is willing to change their recipe to make people more interested in eating it?
guess it depends how desperate they are if they are seeing tumbleweeds in their restaurants.
Well, it's not like they can't use both recipes. Write two novels, as was suggested earlier.
they can. it just may be forcing themselves to write something they may not be fond of, just for the sake of trending clout. add on to what they actually are already probably writing on.

Kitsura

Op, I'm going to be honest with you.

Starting with, your chapters. You only have 10, most novels are going to be a slow growth until you reach a critical mass of popularity. You simply don't have enough chapters for readers to want to be invested.

Next description, put your update schedules on the bottom. Because the first thing people see right now is your update schedule and not the synopsis of your story.

Next, lets talk about that first chapter, wayyyyyy too much exposition, it's too dense. Webnovels need to be "snappier" in their first chapter or people are going to be lost. From the first chapter, I'm already confronted with words like "Gray Spine", "Paronian", "Men’ilian","Mentilian", "Yuroinis" and that's just the first two paragraphs. As an author all these concepts might be easy enough to understand for you since you built the world but your audience is going to be hopelessly lost trying to figure out all the concept from literally square one. Insert some action, and slowly introduce concepts. This first chapter feels like something that could've been stretched into 2-3 chapters and it would probably easier and more fun to read as well.

Your book is also not quite a good fit for this website I'm going to be honest, most of the books here are written in a light novel style since this is the sister site to novel updates. You're writing a more western-style fantasy novel(Sanderson-like) which is simply not going to attract the same following. Personally, I enjoy these kinds of books, but some of the people here will not feel the same.

Last edited:

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Personally, I enjoy these kinds of books, but some of the people here will not feel the same
I like how this is said so often. Everyone likes reading it, but nobody thinks anyone else would read it. :blob_evil:

That's some damn good advice though. No, a review, even.

Mysticant

Resident Ant
My take on this was, well I have seen your book before. I kind of know what to expect, but I am not tempted to open it. I always say this to anyone that wants to write a book including myself. Fulfill 3 criteria:
1. A catchy cover
2. A catchy title
3. A catchy synopsis

I do not find much problems with your writing style, it is already above the large proportion of the mindless junk food available here. I am one who prefers to write and read slowly progressing plots. Yet, your book which I opened when it was under Latest Series had 0/3 of my criteria fulfilled (of course that is by my preference as a reader). Therefore, let us not talk about even opening the first chapter. I already assumed you would face difficulty in having people open the page to even read your synopsis since your title and cover were not that attractive (to me) back then.

Of course, once you are out of 'latest release' and not on 'trending', everything just spirals downhill super easily. The other thing is to stockpile chapters if you only plan to release a small amount. It is best to capitalize on the fact that you need to have readers pick up your book first, before thinking about what kind of thing they actually want to read.

Sorry for the long spill, I just want to get this out. I am not a big writer, but I follow my principles. Most of the popular writers here (at least those that I have read) by my principle are not really that good anyway. They do stick to the meta genres (isekai, parody/adapt some popular series, smut, OP etc), yet they are super consistent with their releases and learn to ask for following and favorites.

Last edited:

Xeoz

Good Cover and Title, if those don't work. For the covers, just go look anything pleasing to the eye that would hook the readers when they the title along with it.
Go write daily, so you can maximize the front page of Scribblehub(This worked for me) While at it, go interact with your readers.

bafflinghaze

1. I agree with a lot of the above sentiments, the 10 chapters is not much. Not much at all. Some readers don't even click when they see a short, just started-out story because they have no guarantee that you're going to finish it. Readers take time to trickle in. Maybe only one or two readers per chapter update, but that's still something
  2. Definitely update your cover. I can barely even read the title :sweating_profusely: A cover with a person on it is more welcoming and personable in my opinion
  3. About the genre thing. So your novel might not be in one of the popular genres, but among people who read fantasy on SH there are probably preferences too (e.g. BL readers on SH prefer xianxia) ...so...good luck with that
  4. And definitely, definitely post on other different websites. You never know exactly where your audience is unless you actually try and research. And yeah, your writing is more traditional-published style rather than webnovel style so....gotta adjust your expectations about how well it would do as a webnovel.
Also. Based on how SH minimises summaries (when searching through tags, you only immediately see the first line or so), you should re-organise your summary like this so that the more important information is at the beginning!

Wracked with misfortune, a nameless village along the edge of the Gray Spine rejoiced at the arrival of a paladin. Those celebrations, though, turned to wary tension as the paladin brought an unknown into their midst - his wife, wearing the markings of both a necromancer and the thirteenth saint.

Who is this woman? Why has she come to their village? The necromancer divulges her secrets, for she needs the village's trust to defeat the powerful foe the god Decay has called her to face.

Releases every Tuesday and Friday

For me, this is not very interesting because I'm a character-based reader, and this summary doesn't even tell me who the protagonist is....is it the paladin, who was mentioned first? Is it the necromancer? What is their personality????? Will I like them????? What even are their names?? That said, I know that many others read plot-based novels so take that with a grain of salt :blob_happy:

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
among people who read fantasy on SH there are probably preferences too
Elf Princess Discovered By Orcs In Nearby Forest

Snap. If I wrote one I'mma be pretty popular. BRB writing Sword Cultivator Attacked by Monsters---
Oh wait, I already wrote one...... :blob_hide:

Mysticant

Resident Ant
Elf Princess Discovered By Orcs In Nearby Forest

Snap. If I wrote one I'mma be pretty popular. BRB writing Sword Cultivator Attacked by Monsters---
Oh wait, I already wrote one...... :blob_hide:
Handsomest Sword Cultivator Attacked by slightly less Handsome Monsters to rescue the Second Most Handsome Princess(male), bet you have yet to explore this one yet.

The title eh...simple. I AM HANDSOME

Mysticant

Resident Ant
Actually, I have a feeling that a lot of readers here prefer ugly monsters........ :blob_hmm:
But then your writing will just be another egoistical power trip if you demonize, nerf and antagonize all your bad characters. I guess if that is truly what most readers want...I shall go back and enjoy MoDaoZuShi and those handsome abs.

Good is handsome, evil is handsome, the dao is handsome. I am handsome.
Ugliness? That is only present in one's heart.

This would make a decent synopsis, it just oozes of handsomeness.

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
But then your writing will just be another egoistical power trip if you demonize, nerf and antagonize all your bad characters. I guess if that is truly what most readers want...I shall go back and enjoy MoDaoZuShi and those handsome abs.
Huh? No, I mean ugly monsters are generally considered sexier.

For self inserting?
Not exactly! I've definitely seen a lot of anime and stuff where ugly monsters or mob characters go after prettier characters, such as orcs after elf princesses, etc.

Maybe I've seen one too many hentai titles. :sweating_profusely: