I hate AI art but . . .

BetterNickPending

Brain loading. Please wait...
As a rule of thumb I hate AI art.
Firstly because it kills human creativity.
Secondly because it allows anyone with spare 5$ pretend to be on equal level as someone who spend countless days and nights over many years perfecting their craft.

I tested multiple AI engines and tools to test their limitations and short comings.
I tend to not publish my "creations" to not pollute the internet.

That said there are fun things that can be done using AI that would be almost impossible to achieve using manual drawing (especially for people with no talent).

So this is one of those things:
Scribble Hub.jpg

LilRora

Mostly formless
Scribble Hub!

With AI art becoming actually good, I think the mindset that the progress, the doing, the experience is more important than the result is becoming more and more important to creators - for consumers however, those really often have little value.

how?
Secondly because it allows anyone with spare 5$ pretend to be on equal level as someone who spend countless days and nights over many years perfecting their craft.
if you provide as much value as a $5 service, why should I spent $50 on you. if you monotize your craft, deal with the market.

its usually bait when someone parrots online arguements. this thread is of poor quality whether its bait or not.

Keene

Squat Enjoyer and Programmer
Does AI kill human creativity? I would have thought it would increase it, as millions of people can now express the ideas in their mind through multiple mediums while not needing to spend years learning how to produce that medium to a suitable standard. AI allows the creative process to become more accessible to millions of people who would otherwise never be able to share their characters and worlds with us.

Nexus_English

Does AI kill human creativity? I would have thought it would increase it, as millions of people can now express the ideas in their mind through multiple mediums while not needing to spend years learning how to produce that medium to a suitable standard. AI allows the creative process to become more accessible to millions of people who would otherwise never be able to share their characters and worlds with us.
You deserve a cookie :blob_cookie:

Reinaislost

Miss Direction
I'm not going to argue if AI kills creativity or not, but I don't agree with you on the topic. Art is all about expressing ourselves, ideas, imagination, concepts, and things. You don't have to be a good artist to express yourself creatively, but when you are offloading that (rather than using it as a tool) to an algorithm to get a good enough picture, it is not really human creativity, is it.

That said, AI art can be a source of inspiration or used in a creative manner, but as a source of creative expression, it is not the same.

foxes

I can draw with a pencil or draw a finished picture in color in a day to a week.
But to draw like that, it would probably take me at least a month. With AI, it took me a week.
I can't even imagine how much it would take me to work out details of such complexity if I were to draw it from scratch myself.

BetterNickPending

Brain loading. Please wait...
As a rule of thumb, if humans can't draw something, neither can AI. AI trains on human drawings; it can't generate something if it doesn't have the required training data.
You get it perfectly.

I would have thought it would increase it, as millions of people can now express the ideas in their mind
That might work only if your idea is someone else idea and that idea was included in training data.
It is not creating anything new only poorly remixing parts of preexisting stuff.
Also is the idea idea really good one if even the author of the idea is not willing to put effort in to making it real.

@LilRora so far (not counting one person in private message) you are the only one...

SailusGebel

I'm not going to argue if AI kills creativity or not, but I don't agree with you on the topic. Art is all about expressing ourselves, ideas, imagination, concepts, and things. You don't have to be a good artist to express yourself creatively, but when you are offloading that (rather than using it as a tool) to an algorithm to get a good enough picture, it is not really human creativity, is it.

That said, AI art can be a source of inspiration or used in a creative manner, but as a source of creative expression, it is not the same.
Not trying to "defeat" you or "win" an argument. But isn't AI prompting exactly what you are talking about? You express yourself creatively. You don't just take whatever good pic it gives to you, you want specific stuff.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Not even slightly. Artists will keep drawing even though AI exists because they enjoy it. Same goes for writers and animators. They will keep doing their craft because they enjoy it, regardless if AI also do it. It doesn't even slightly kill creativity unless you've incredibly thin skin and somehow AI making an art piece that gets worse the closer you look makes you quit your trade.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Uhhh... if someone I really good at art, why don't they just use ai to be supergood at art?

Bad + AI = GOOD.
Good +AI = GREAT.

Piisfun

Playful Spacetime Dragon
So, my opinion may be a little controversial...

Does it reduce creativity? Yes, and no.
There is less good artists willing to create works because they feel they will get nothing for it other than their work getting stolen.
But there is more people creating works, many of which have unique ideas that haven't been seen before.
The tools may be different, but it is the ideas behind the work that matter.
Both points are valid, and one of many reasons the situation is so messy, though definitely not the main reason.

The art industry has never really had decent regulation, which has led to scams and questionable pricing (in both directions) being major issues.
Most people using AI art couldn't care less about not being able to "own" it, because they weren't making any money off it anyway.
So while many of the practices used in creating these AI models (and most others) may be questionable, unfair, or even criminal (not my place to judge), I honestly think they partially brought it upon themselves.

Regarding what AI generators are capable of, well, until they come up with an AI that can create works outside the bounds of the initial dataset, they will never be able to truly replace artists. Unless people just stop caring.
Which is honestly a much more likely problem going forward, in my opinion.

KrisVFX

God of Creation
Secondly because it allows anyone with spare 5$ pretend to be on equal level as someone who spend countless days and nights over many years perfecting their
Its a dumb thing to say that AI art kills human creativity.
You do know that we humans said the same thing when Cameras became a thing. We all thought that it was an end of an area for artist, but here we are again. Art is even more loved and understood than the illiterate medieval humans.
The same thing is with AI art as well. Its really helpful, but it has limitations because it does need human data to create its stuff. In the future its going to be used a lot, but humans will still prefer Human input over AI.

TsuruI_am_a_bot

Yandere Robot / Wife of Botty

Reinaislost

Miss Direction
Not trying to "defeat" you or "win" an argument. But isn't AI prompting exactly what you are talking about? You express yourself creatively. You don't just take whatever good pic it gives to you, you want specific stuff.
AI prompting can be an art in itself, but I feel the knowledge of prompting is more of an art form here than the generated output. As an example, if I hire an artist to draw for me and give them general instructions, am I the creative one?