I like RPGs and Novels, however…

WaterFish

…I hate it when novels borrow a little TOO MUCH from RPGs. Especially when the novel adds in an obligatory fetch quest about grabbing something, then revisiting where you went before to give it to some guy to obtain quest rewards.

Why does this even exist…?

There are games that try to pull you into a narrative and always keeps the ball rolling, then there are fetch simulators where 90% of what you’re doing is secretly a fetch quest.

I don’t care if there are other elements sprinkled in. There is no forgiving this nonsense. The only time it’s forgiven is when there is some sort of timer at play. A reason to grab it at first opportunity. Not stand around until it is found.

It feels too passive if there isn’t something making you WANT to climb a treacherous mountain of swords to get the quest item.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Huh?
…I hate it when novels borrow a little TOO MUCH from RPGs. Especially when the novel adds in an obligatory fetch quest about grabbing something, then revisiting where you went before to give it to some guy to obtain quest rewards.

Why does this even exist…?

There are games that try to pull you into a narrative and always keeps the ball rolling, then there are fetch simulators where 90% of what you’re doing is secretly a fetch quest.

I don’t care if there are other elements sprinkled in. There is no forgiving this nonsense. The only time it’s forgiven is when there is some sort of timer at play. A reason to grab it at first opportunity. Not stand around until it is found.

It feels too passive if there isn’t something making you WANT to climb a treacherous mountain of swords to get the quest item.
They weren't concise enough. Should have cut the fluff. Unless you want the fluff?

SailusGebel

There won't be a drama. :blob_pat_sad::blob_pout:

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
It all began with status. Now we have fetch quests. When will we have stories about our MC clicking a screen? Or waiting for the timer to run out so they can do it again.

Iceheart

It all began with status. Now we have fetch quests. When will we have stories about our MC clicking a screen? Or waiting for the timer to run out so they can do it again.
There is one already. It's called Clicker Dungeon on RR. There is another one, also on RR, but I forgot its name, where students have to download an app for school and the purpose of the app is basically to log in and click on the screen as fast as you can. Sometimes questions about math, history or other school subjects are also thrown in. But that's the whole plot basically. Or at least in the first three chapters as I lasted that long reading it.

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
I think one like this already exist :blob_hmm_two:

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
There is one already. It's called Clicker Dungeon on RR. There is another one, also on RR, but I forgot its name, where students have to download an app for school and the purpose of the app is basically to log in and click on the screen as fast as you can. Sometimes questions about math, history or other school subjects are also thrown in. But that's the whole plot basically. Or at least in the first three chapters as I lasted that long reading it.

I think one like this already exist :blob_hmm_two:
This bird suspected there were stuff like that already... the least it hopes is that they decide to make the plot more than just "Let's click stuff to advance the plot" or when it comes "Let's sit here waiting for this timer to advance the plot."

Sylver

I just want to join into the discussion here where all the popular kids are :blob_evil_two:

Hmm, I'm not familiar with RPG inspired novels but it sounds like you're describing filler content, stuff that doesn't seem necessary or contributes to the story. Or perhaps it breaks the flow of the story, like the pacing was going well and then blam! Sudden fetch quest. In an RPG, the reason for side quests is to explore more about the world, gain more XP to level up more efficiently, and for the adventure (depending on what the quest is).

I don't have any answer to your post, it just sounds like fair criticism that you're bringing up. Hmm, maybe inform the writers to add more urgency or purpose behind the fetch quests? You making this post alone is a start, since some potential writers might come upon this and learn a bit more about how some readers preference their RPG novels to do this.

WaterFish

I just want to join into the discussion here where all the popular kids are :blob_evil_two:

Hmm, I'm not familiar with RPG inspired novels but it sounds like you're describing filler content, stuff that doesn't seem necessary or contributes to the story. Or perhaps it breaks the flow of the story, like the pacing was going well and then blam! Sudden fetch quest. In an RPG, the reason for side quests is to explore more about the world, gain more XP to level up more efficiently, and for the adventure (depending on what the quest is).

I don't have any answer to your post, it just sounds like fair criticism that you're bringing up. Hmm, maybe inform the writers to add more urgency or purpose behind the fetch quests? You making this post alone is a start, since some potential writers might come upon this and learn a bit more about how some readers preference their RPG novels to do this.
Yup, just getting the criticism out there and having it seen is enough. How someone interprets it is up to them. Just felt like there are some that forget they’re writing a ‘story’ sometimes. Focusing on the wrong places.