I may have some writing advice.

Nekroz

The one who loves me( I presume you know who I'm talking about) loves people, and therefore so do I. As such I wish to help you in the ways that I can (through my God given ability to do so.) so feel free to ask for any writing advice.

The short version: writing tips for the price of not using my trademarked thumbs up!

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
Here is some totally, 100% no questions asked, accurate writing advice:
Eating pancakes, with no syrup, by hand makes your writing 2.31573157x more productive while simultaneously increasing your output!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 54065

My writing advice?

Plan your story. And drink lots of coffee.

Nekroz

Here is some totally, 100% no questions asked, accurate writing advice:
Eating pancakes, with no syrup, by hand makes your writing 2.31573157x more productive while simultaneously increasing your output!
May... May I see your evidence please?
My writing advice?

Plan your story. And drink lots of coffee.
What if I don't like coffee?

Aiyoki

Good writing advice: Keep an eye out for words you overuse constantly (Words such as: is, as, was, were, has, had, have, ect...) and try to reduce how often they are used or simply eliminate them. Certain words can and probably should be removed entirely from writing as they don't add to the depth of description or character of any given story.

D

Deleted member 54065

Good writing advice: Keep an eye out for words you overuse constantly (Words such as: is, as, was, were, has, had, have, ect...) and try to reduce how often they are used or simply eliminate them. Certain words can and probably should be removed entirely from writing as they don't add to the depth of description or character of any given story.
I'd like to see a story without those or in limited use (how much 'limited' are we talking about here, anyway?).

Last edited by a moderator:

Nekroz

I'm not too sure about that.

Aiyoki

I'm not too sure about that.
The idea is to think about and replace as many repetitive nondescript and vague words as possible and try to replace them with more fulfilling descriptive terminology.

Sometimes I go through and search a specific word I know I use a lot of in writing just to see how many times I used it... You'd be surprised how many times words such as "like" are used when it could be replaced with something far more descriptive. My writing also tends to take on a much more evolved form when I actively weed out and replace words that don't add to the overall quality of a story.

D

Deleted member 54065

The idea is to think about and replace as many repetitive nondescript and vague words as possible and try to replace them with more fulfilling descriptive terminology.

Sometimes I go through and search a specific word I know I use a lot of in writing just to see how many times I used it... You'd be surprised how many times words such as "like" are used when it could be replaced with something far more descriptive. My writing also tends to take on a much more evolved form when I actively weed out and replace words that don't add to the overall quality of a story.
Ah you mean the synonyms? Yeah, it helps a lot in 'diversifying' the narrative.

Though, the issue on the use of 'is, are, was, were' is actually about the 'active' (strong/assertive) and 'passive' (weak) voices in sentence construction. As someone whose English is not 'native' or 'first tongue', we don't care about those as long as we're understood. Nevertheless, it's a different matter if one aims to be an author working with established/traditional publishing houses.

Last edited by a moderator:

A2Remedy

The one who loves me( I presume you know who I'm talking about) loves people, and therefore so do I. As such I wish to help you in the ways that I can (through my God given ability to do so.) so feel free to ask for any writing advice.

The short version: writing tips for the price of not using my trademarked thumbs up!

It's a little something I've been having a little trouble with. I got 5 Mcs right now though 4 are more active currently, I'm not sure of how to make it sound like separate people. More in terms of sharing their thoughts so would you have any advice on how to keep them sounding or viewing things differently?

Nekroz

It's a little something I've been having a little trouble with. I got 5 Mcs right now though 4 are more active currently, I'm not sure of how to make it sound like separate people. More in terms of sharing their thoughts so would you have any advice on how to keep them sounding or viewing things differently?
One of the things you could do to diversify them is to give them their own personal voice.

Character one is green, okay. Character two is blue.

When writing for character two you could have him be more snappy, both when he speaks and when writing for his thoughts and what he's doing.

While character one is a lot more understanding, kind, and thoughtful.

Also try to stick to one main viewpoint per chapter.