I need an opinion on something

Jihn

Your friendly neigh-borhood horsey!
The horsey is back and has a question. Over a year ago, I started a story called Rico Suave but I have had an idea to combine Rico with a character called Marvin and write Marvin’s story. Rico features heavily in Marvin’s story now because I worked the plot out. So should I just keep Rico Suave as Rico’s own prequel to Marvin’s story or just make them one big story?

D

Deleted member 57675

The horsey is back and has a question. Over a year ago, I started a story called Rico Suave but I have had an idea to combine Rico with a character called Marvin and write Marvin’s story. Rico features heavily in Marvin’s story now because I worked the plot out. So should I just keep Rico Suave as Rico’s own prequel to Marvin’s story or just make them one big story?
When you mean combine the characters, does Rico and Marvin become one character?

Jihn

So should I just keep Rico Suave as Rico’s own prequel to Marvin’s story or just make them one big story?
Rico’s prequel would be more of a dive into his life and working things out with Martina before the whole Marvin fiasco, and before Marvin broke up with Adrian (Rico’s longest friend).

The Marvin story would be him meeting Marvin who he doesn’t really like through an accidental encounter and realising he isn’t so bad.

Jihn

When you mean combine the characters, does Rico and Marvin become one character?
No, I meant combining their stories and plots, not their characters. Rico and Marvin as one singular character would be a train wreck. I added more details below in a quoted post.

D

Deleted member 57675

Rico’s prequel would be more of a dive into his life and working things out with Martina before the whole Marvin fiasco, and before Marvin broke up with Adrian (Rico’s longest friend).

The Marvin story would be him meeting Marvin who he doesn’t really like through an accidental encounter and realising he isn’t so bad.
Is this more of a prequel or a side story?

Rico's story sounds like a separate story within the same universe.

If there are certain things that happen prior to events of Marvin's story that makes it a good reason to read Rico story first, then it'd be better off as a prequel.

Jihn

I think it would be sensible to make it another story.
So like Rico Suave and then it leads onto Marvin afterwards?
Is this more of a prequel or a side story?
I guess it could be more of a prequel. Definitely.
So if Rico has stuff going on linked to Marvin’s friend circle but not exactly him it should just be a prequel?

D

Deleted member 57675

So like Rico Suave and then it leads onto Marvin afterwards?

I guess it could be more of a prequel. Defnitely.
Then you have found the answer you have been searching for, fellow pony.

RandomDuck

Does it flow? Does it make sense logically? Does it give insight into an important character that is related to the main story? But most importantly does it feel right to you the Author? Anything else can be fixed as necessary, but if you don't feel it neither will your readers.

Jihn

Then you have found the answer you have been searching for, fellow pony.
Argh! The quote messed up but thanks.
Does it flow? Does it make sense logically? Does it give insight into an important character that is related to the main story? But most importantly does it feel right to you the Author? Anything else can be fixed as necessary, but if you don't feel it neither will your readers.
Yeah I will have to include all those points won’t I? Insight is an important thing for both of them to have. And the stories will need to make sense and be interconnected eventually. I will see where it ends up thanks.