Writing I need guides and tips for writing a Battle Academy novel

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
Hello everyone and anyone, a fellow writer here.

I want to write a Battle Academy novel, but I tried before and failed, like oh my God, I don't even want to remember it.

Then I decided that I should look for guides and tips about writing one, but as you can guess, that didn't work. I failed and didn't find anything.

So do you people know any guides for writing one or any tips or ideas? I am open to anything at this point.

LordJoyde

It depends on what kind of battle academy novel you want to write.

1. What is the era? (medieval, special, industrial, sci-fi)
2. What is the academy's premier superpower? (a weapon? a suit? espers? magic? all of them?)
3. What is the reason for its existence? (supernatural threat, demonkin war, apocalypse?)

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
It depends on what kind of battle academy novel you want to write.

1. What is the era? (medieval, special, industrial, sci-fi)
2. What is the academy's premier superpower? (a weapon? a suit? espers? magic? all of them?)
3. What is the reason for its existence? (supernatural threat, demonkin war, apocalypse?)
Well, it is a good question,
I should have probably answered it before.

1: It is slightly past the current era, with the world has enough tech to build mechas similar to the pacific rim or robots with ai that can fight against enemies by itself.

2: All of them.

3: Thereat is alien invaders coming from portals.

SerikoLee

Chaos Realm Creator/ Chaos God
First, think of a world within an era of your story and explore why it exists.
1. Demon hunting
2. Spirit summoning
3. Controlling one's own power
4. Isuues's within a nation or world like fallen angels invading the world.
Depending on your story, a ranking system will be important and testing events.

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
First, think of a world within an era of your story and explore why it exists.
1. Demon hunting
2. Spirit summoning
3. Controlling one's own power
4. Isuues's within a nation or world like fallen angels invading the world.

Factions and the world is ready, and the current era exists because of a bitter-sweet world alliance against outside threat.

Amok

grblbrbl
Not too familiar with the genre but here's my take...

I like it when there's a big cast at the beginning, like a whole lot of folk that go through vigorous tests until only a few prove capable of following the curriculum. This adds a sense of weight to their training and is also a great way for char intros imo.

I'm also thinking about events and tests outside of the academy, with them flying over lakes, going for training in jungles, deserts, icefields etc. See how they face off with mosquito bites and frostbite and the like, how they function as squads(or don't.)

LordJoyde

Well, it is a good question,
I should have probably answered it before.

1: It is slightly past the current era, with the world has enough tech to build mechas similar to the pacific rim or robots with ai that can fight against enemies by itself.

2: All of them.

3: Thereat is alien invaders coming from portals.
So, my recommendation is a special academy built on a hidden island which is protected by a super scifi shield projector built from stolen alien technology. Above the academy is a giant metropolis city where people chosen from all over the world for their specific traits and powers (espers, good athletics, etc your choice but basically skills over everything else) are allowed to live in order to save humanity. The academy is part of this city.

Underground could be the experimental, more evil parts of it, like alien autopsy or illegal cybernetics.

Anyway, the point of this academy is to create soldiers to fight the aliens by using any and all means at humanity's disposal, so to that end, you can have student duels between people who prefer different types of combat.

I-e a cyber enhanced wizard.
A genetically modified living weapon.
A mecha rider versus natural born magic god.

Or the like.
Naturally, you will need to introduce the enemy of humanity somehow to the students. Field trip gone wrong? Maybe captured aliens are made to fight against the students.

One of the more important choices you need to make is how depressive do you want this story to be? Is it a "humanity, fuck yeah" type of story where the aliens attacked but the humans are winning due to 'insert classic human xenophobe reasoning here' or perhaps its a losing war and the expectations of the students are high? Maybe the academy is secretly funded by secret aliens, to fight the different invading aliens?

Reborn_Cat

A lazy cat pretending to be human
A big part of battle academy are the interpersonal relationships, how well does the MC get along with their friends and teammates, rivalries that are both with people who they get along with and who they don't. Also well made deuteragonists will also make the story better

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
So, my recommendation is a special academy built on a hidden island which is protected by a super scifi shield projector built from stolen alien technology. Above the academy is a giant metropolis city where people chosen from all over the world for their specific traits and powers (espers, good athletics, etc your choice but basically skills over everything else) are allowed to live in order to save humanity. The academy is part of this city.

Underground could be the experimental, more evil parts of it, like alien autopsy or illegal cybernetics.

Anyway, the point of this academy is to create soldiers to fight the aliens by using any and all means at humanity's disposal, so to that end, you can have student duels between people who prefer different types of combat.

Or the like.
Naturally, you will need to introduce the enemy of humanity somehow to the students. Field trip gone wrong? Maybe captured aliens are made to fight against the students.

One of the more important choices you need to make is how depressive do you want this story to be? Is it a "humanity, fuck yeah" type of story where the aliens attacked but the humans are winning due to 'insert classic human xenophobe reasoning here' or perhaps its a losing war and the expectations of the students are high? Maybe the academy is secretly funded by secret aliens, to fight the different invading aliens?
So, let me tell you about the current planned world a little.

While the academies are open to the public (for propaganda purposes of course) fights between students are planned to happen and yeah the world is kind of in a bad situation.

Cold War is still going even though both sides claim it ended (there are two new factions out there even) Drug cartels and people who abuse their powers lead powerful paramilitary groups, and they have great power because the world is already busy enough with aliens.

There are secretly government-funded labs that work on orphans to create artificial super clone soldiers.

And about students learning about the enemy. Well, humanity is fighting against them for hundreds of year's and that enemy is ironically the reason why humanity has supernatural abilities.

Korean Peninsula, some parts of Japan and China, more than half the South America turned into a wasteland after a war against aliens and usage of nuclear weaponry.

And there are many more like companies controlling whole countries, many little factions protecting the world sometimes fighting with each other, etc.

But I liked some of the ideas, and I will twist some of mine. Thanks!
A big part of battle academy are the interpersonal relationships, how well does the MC get along with their friends and teammates, rivalries that are both with people who they get along with and who they don't. Also well made deuteragonists will also make the story better

Not too familiar with the genre but here's my take...

I like it when there's a big cast at the beginning, like a whole lot of folk that go through vigorous tests until only a few prove capable of following the curriculum. This adds a sense of weight to their training and is also a great way for char intros imo.

I'm also thinking about events and tests outside of the academy, with them flying over lakes, going for training in jungles, deserts, icefields etc. See how they face off with mosquito bites and frostbite and the like, how they function as squads(or don't.)

I am happy to find that writing a team rather than a single main character is a good idea, and I am even happier that I chose that route on predesign.

LordJoyde

So, let me tell you about the current planned world a little.

While the academies are open to the public (for propaganda purposes of course) fights between students are planned to happen and yeah the world is kind of in a bad situation.

Cold War is still going even though both sides claim it ended (there are two new factions out there even) Drug cartels and people who abuse their powers lead powerful paramilitary groups, and they have great power because the world is already busy enough with aliens.

There are secretly government-funded labs that work on orphans to create artificial super clone soldiers.

And about students learning about the enemy. Well, humanity is fighting against them for hundreds of year's and that enemy is ironically the reason why humanity has supernatural abilities.

Korean Peninsula, some parts of Japan and China, more than half the South America turned into a wasteland after a war against aliens and usage of nuclear weaponry.

And there are many more like companies controlling whole countries, many little factions protecting the world sometimes fighting with each other, etc.

But I liked some of the ideas, and I will twist some of mine. Thanks!

I am happy to find that writing a team rather than a single main character is a good idea, and I am even happier that I chose that route on predesign.
I'm not sure how realistic a corporate government is during a war, but suit yourself.

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
I'm not sure how realistic a corporate government is during a war, but suit yourself.

It is not like the corporate government is an actual corporate government but rather corporation's got super rich uses their money to "help" smaller countries by funding them. Of course, this funding has some consequences such as every aspect of the country being controlled by the mega-corporation groups and they being easily manipulating the politics using the corruption.

LordJoyde

It is not like the corporate government is an actual corporate government but rather corporation's got super rich uses their money to "help" smaller countries by funding them. Of course, this funding has some consequences such as every aspect of the country being controlled by the mega-corporation groups and they being easily manipulating the politics using the corruption.
That's exactly what I'm saying.

I just don't see a megacorporation ever getting that much power in a world fighting a defensive war. People would just take what they need to defend themselves, money be damned.

Layenlml

Or the like.

Dont forget the mysterious hot girl that ends up being part alien due to some experiment, there is always one of those.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Looks like this, about 1 chapter each for web novels, ish.

1. Establish your character outside of the school. (Establish interpersonal problems that will be addressed by their adventure)

1.5 Entrance exam or some other rite of passage if the premise doesn't cover it. (Wholly dependent on the set up. E.g. all wizards go to Hogwarts. It's public school.)

2. Meet and greet with fellow students. (Give us at least one other character to latch on to. Normally two friends and a rival. But this is super flexible and can be organically plugged in to any other chapter).

3. Establishment of the magic system if not previously covered and otherwise the Rules of the competition.

4. Set Back. (Something goes wrong and creates tension)

5. 1st major conflict. (Trial by Fire)

6. Set back and conflict payoff based on dynamic interplay between the two. (Ideally changes the dynamic of your MC to other characters, the setting, or some other major facet of your story in some way.

End of act 1.

And remember, structure is subserviently to the needs of plot.

Last edited:

Lloyd

Professional Writer
Just look at a piece of paper and start writing. Kek