I want a Lit rpg with hard rules.

Sergeandgreen

Hey, I need some lit RPG recommendations where the system is solid and the rules apply to everyone. It's frustrating when you start a story and the main character can bend the rules or gets special treatment from the system. Like, they suddenly have extra skill slots or way more attributes than they should. It's like the system's playing favorites, throwing in god-like interventions just for them. Can't we have a story where the MC gets strong because they're genuinely skilled/hardworking, not because of some weird, unfair advantage?

Ideally the system is not some sort of snarky, cringe kid playing sims but a normal fucking system that does its job like it was meant to do. I want a story where i can think about what build or choices i would make instead of seeing how the system makes fun of everyone and everything.

Ps: Sorry for posting this in the wrong chanel.

Last edited:

Tsuru

Robot
Hey, I need some lit RPG recommendations where the system is solid and the rules apply to everyone. It's frustrating when you start a story and the main character can bend the rules or gets special treatment from the system. Like, they suddenly have extra skill slots or way more attributes than they should. It's like the system's playing favorites, throwing in god-like interventions just for them. Can't we have a story where the MC gets strong because they're genuinely skilled/hardworking, not because of some weird, unfair advantage?

Ideally the system is not some sort of snarky, cringe kid playing sims but a normal fucking system that does its job like it was meant to do. I want a story where i can think about what build or choices i would make instead of seeing how the system makes fun of everyone and everything.

Ps: Sorry for posting this in the wrong chanel.
So basically
you want a series like a certain royalroad "Inn" series
where the MC/FMC
is quite a nobody, that suffer like everyone else ? (the inn series isnt a recommendation and cant remember the name, but early on, she sweated to clean the inn/restaurant)

Even for me (encyclopedia of series), i dont think i remember some series like that
So, sor.........................WAIT A MINUTE

I remembered one.
Lucky you.

Not really fitting "litrpg"
but here you go, a very old series i read long ago :

Dude have, no gigantic cheat, no op powers, no betrayal shit, no "nobles gonna f him up", no "discarded from party" bullshit nowadays.
Just a body, and language. DONE
Lot and LOT of training.

Its nice series
but, you will also see the problematic FLAWS of "not having cheat" + "slow development litrpg"

Sergeandgreen

So basically
you want a series like a certain royalroad "Inn" series
where the MC/FMC
is quite a nobody, that suffer like everyone else ? (the inn series isnt a recommendation and cant remember the name, but early on, she sweated to clean the inn/restaurant)

Even for me (encyclopedia of series), i dont think i remember some series like that
So, sor.........................WAIT A MINUTE

I remembered one.
Lucky you.

Not really fitting "litrpg"
but here you go, a very old series i read long ago :

Dude have, no gigantic cheat, no op powers, no betrayal shit, no "nobles gonna f him up", no "discarded from party" bullshit nowadays.
Just a body, and language. DONE
Lot and LOT of training.

Its nice series
but, you will also see the problematic FLAWS of "not having cheat" + "slow development litrpg"
The Mc doesn't necesarrily need to suffer. I just want him to just use the tools everyone else has. Maybe level a little faster because he takes risks or something like that.
So imagine you have a system where you can get 5 statpoints a level and can take like ten skills (active or passive doesn't matter). The max level is 100. Everyone stars with 5 stat points in every stat like str, agi, dex, int, wis. You get skills offered after actually doing what the skill would do and the skill lets you do it better with maybe chances to evolve. With a system like that you would need to think about where to spent your statpoints and what kind of build you would go for.
Now comes the mc completes some weird tutorial and gets something like [because you are the first to clear the tutorial you get 2 bonus stats every time you level] Followed by [you are the first to reach level 10, +1 to all stats] or the worst kind [A god smiles upon your bravery + 1 str]

It is totally fine if the archivements are earnable by everyone. He can even get a special class as long as the requirements are something normally reachable. For example instead of the basic class warrior everyone can get when they have one physical attack skill you get something like swordmaster because you have 5 skills focused on the sword, or brute because you put all your stats into str or something like that. I mean, normally the higher powerlevels in almost all stories are a bit more specific than that but i hope you get the general gist of what i mean.

While the system i just described is completely made up and it could also be much looser as long as everyone plays with the same rules i would be fine with it, i want a story where i can think about what build i would choose in that world. And ideally you see a few side characters that have completely different builds than the mc that also have their advantages.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
So you want a LitRPG where the MC does NOT take a cheat.
Well, I got just the story for you. My Sig file. A Rules Lawyer Stuck In A Literal RPG.
The MC purposely turns down the cheat, because he is, in his own words, not a cheater.
He creates utterly broken builds, but he uses the rules to make utterly broken builds.

The world is based on d20 3.0/3.5 with the serial numbers filed off. All rules loopholes exploited were tested by my players in my campaign which lasted over a decade. The 112 handbooks referenced in the story were written by yours truly and are available upon request. While I do, "narratively compress" the rules, to make it more interesting, I assure you, I nerfed the rules to make them fit in the story, not expanded them.

Sergeandgreen

Well, I got just the story for you. My Sig file. A Rules Lawyer Stuck In A Literal RPG.
The MC purposely turns down the cheat, because he is, in his own words, not a cheater.
He creates utterly broken builds, but he uses the rules to make utterly broken builds.

The world is based on d20 3.0/3.5 with the serial numbers filed off. All rules loopholes exploited were tested by my players in my campaign which lasted over a decade. The 112 handbooks referenced in the story were written by yours truly and are available upon request. While I do, "narratively compress" the rules, to make it more interesting, I assure you, I nerfed the rules to make them fit in the story, not expanded them.
That sounds similar to what I meant. Broken builds instead of a broken system. I will definitely look it up.

Tsuru

Robot
The Mc doesn't necesarrily need to suffer. I just want him to just use the tools everyone else has. Maybe level a little faster because he takes risks or something like that.
So imagine you have a system where you can get 5 statpoints a level and can take like ten skills (active or passive doesn't matter). The max level is 100. Everyone stars with 5 stat points in every stat like str, agi, dex, int, wis. You get skills offered after actually doing what the skill would do and the skill lets you do it better with maybe chances to evolve. With a system like that you would need to think about where to spent your statpoints and what kind of build you would go for.
Now comes the mc completes some weird tutorial and gets something like [because you are the first to clear the tutorial you get 2 bonus stats every time you level] Followed by [you are the first to reach level 10, +1 to all stats] or the worst kind [A god smiles upon your bravery + 1 str]

It is totally fine if the archivements are earnable by everyone. He can even get a special class as long as the requirements are something normally reachable. For example instead of the basic class warrior everyone can get when they have one physical attack skill you get something like swordmaster because you have 5 skills focused on the sword, or brute because you put all your stats into str or something like that. I mean, normally the higher powerlevels in almost all stories are a bit more specific than that but i hope you get the general gist of what i mean.

While the system i just described is completely made up and it could also be much looser as long as everyone plays with the same rules i would be fine with it, i want a story where i can think about what build i would choose in that world. And ideally you see a few side characters that have completely different builds than the mc that also have their advantages.
Yes
I already understood what you meant

I typoed and basically meant
"MC suffer, LIKE EVERYONE ELSE" (sorry caps for importance/not angry)

And yes
the series i linked totally kinda fit what you crave

o_ob
(the healer NU link)
(MC training, getting stat points, skill points, ACHIEVEMENTS too i think, drinking weird mixture after muscle training in adventurer guild)
Later on, op. But others are also as much OP

-------------------
I also recommend (partially)

this one :

WARNING
Quite realistic take on the "MC is a nobody and is like everyone else" (get stronger logically)
+ its wuxia
+ no system, but MC basically get stronger by training with everyone
+ dark writing that MC miss his modern life (even married), where even MC soon do a "challenge" to not be near-death for at least 1year (longest is 3months) and everyone outside the "village" is basically a very shitty oldstyle wuxia world with everyone is enemies/greedy/evil

-----------------------

Go to Royalroad website forum
High chance of lot of series of what you want

You made me remember this famous english series

"Mother of learning"

Its not LitRPG
but it won loooooot of fans at that time, bc MC is stuck in timeloop (logical one), and is basically a normal mediocre talent mage getting stronger "normally" (struggling for it and stuff)

Last edited:

Sergeandgreen

Yes
I already understood what you meant

I typoed and basically meant
"MC suffer, LIKE EVERYONE ELSE" (sorry caps for importance/not angry)

And yes
the series i linked totally kinda fit what you crave

o_ob
(the healer NU link)
(MC training, getting stat points, skill points, ACHIEVEMENTS too i think, drinking weird mixture after muscle training in adventurer guild)
Later on, op. But others are also as much OP

-------------------
I also recommend (partially)

this one :

WARNING
Quite realistic take on the "MC is a nobody and is like everyone else" (get stronger logically)
+ its wuxia
+ no system, but MC basically get stronger by training with everyone
+ dark writing that MC miss his modern life (even married), where even MC soon do a "challenge" to not be near-death for at least 1year (longest is 3months) and everyone outside the "village" is basically a very shitty oldstyle wuxia world with everyone is enemies/greedy/evil

-----------------------

Go to Royalroad website forum
High chance of lot of series of what you want

You made me remember this famous english series

"Mother of learning"

Its not LitRPG
but it won loooooot of fans at that time, bc MC is stuck in timeloop (logical one), and is basically a normal mediocre talent mage getting stronger "normally" (struggling for it and stuff)
I have read Mother of learning during the time it was still released chapter by chapter. No other time loop story managed to come even close to it afterwards. At least none i read. Savage divinite sounds interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.

LuoirM

Voidiris' enthusiast feet enjoyer.
I actually have one, everyone in the world follow the same rule and the same system and a lot were gifted better than the MC, but it's in Vietnamese if you can like MTL to read it

melchi

What is a custom title?
You might like he who fights with monsters? People make all kinds of builds for characters on the discord for that one.

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
You're literally asking the stuff I've been wanting to see somewhere on these sites.

MC with just tools, experience, and super-grinding moments.

greyliliy

No joke, I was just about to recommend your work. LOL.

Lysander_Works

What about GameLit where it's evenly applied?
Not trying to be that guy, but it's no lie that I am working on exactly that. Won't be ready for a couple months though.

Sergeandgreen

What about GameLit where it's evenly applied?
Not trying to be that guy, but it's no lie that I am working on exactly that. Won't be ready for a couple months though.
While game lit would theoretically be what i described, but i always have the feeling that nothing is at stake when people battle there. Or do anything at all. In the end the only thing that is at stake is money and honor.
Also, the stats interact differently with a game character than they would with a real person. It would also influence how you choose what to invest stats or skills in. I mean, if its just a game, you don't care about everyday life.

Lysander_Works

While game lit would theoretically be what i described, but i always have the feeling that nothing is at stake when people battle there. Or do anything at all. In the end the only thing that is at stake is money and honor.
Also, the stats interact differently with a game character than they would with a real person. It would also influence how you choose what to invest stats or skills in. I mean, if its just a game, you don't care about everyday life.

Yeah, I see that. Even my own story is like that in some degree. Either have an open system where people are safe, or a hardcore system where losing could be the end of life or something else important. What if one ideal invaded the other; a protective system of magic that has its protection stripped by something or someone?
You sound like someone who would want to join the dark side of magic, where only the strong lead.
Also ~ Strong Week.

Sergeandgreen

Yeah, I see that. Even my own story is like that in some degree. Either have an open system where people are safe, or a hardcore system where losing could be the end of life or something else important. What if one ideal invaded the other; a protective system of magic that has its protection stripped by something or someone?
You sound like someone who would want to join the dark side of magic, where only the strong lead.
Also ~ Strong Week.
If the dark side means merit based then yes.
I honestly don't understand what you mean with a protective system. Do you mean a system that stops you from killing yourself with magic? Or do you mean a system that is mc's suggar daddy and suddenly leaves because it's buying cigarettes?
I mean if you have a story where the mc is in a world where he conquered everything because the system gives him everything he needs and then he gets transferred to the "real" game like world, where everyone plays by the same rules, it could be a fun read. Maybe even with multiple characters that "easily beat a world". So basically, everyone has their own tutorial (in their own dimension) without knowing its just a tutorial and then they enter a world that is like a souls game and they get fucked.

Lysander_Works

If the dark side means merit based then yes.
I honestly don't understand what you mean with a protective system. Do you mean a system that stops you from killing yourself with magic? Or do you mean a system that is mc's suggar daddy and suddenly leaves because it's buying cigarettes?
I mean if you have a story where the mc is in a world where he conquered everything because the system gives him everything he needs and then he gets transferred to the "real" game like world, where everyone plays by the same rules, it could be a fun read. Maybe even with multiple characters that "easily beat a world". So basically, everyone has their own tutorial (in their own dimension) without knowing its just a tutorial and then they enter a world that is like a souls game and they get fucked.

Lol, sounds interesting as a joke story maybe.
Nah, it depends. I was referring to a protection system where magic simply doesn't fatally wound and kill people, yet the characters are using it the fight as in a highly competitive sport. The protection being, protection from death by that same magic.
In mine the strongest MC is only strong due to training, then they get knocked around a bit, criminal elements then target the protection system cause they want the hardcore version of magic battles to the death.

Sergeandgreen

I think if done right it could be more. You could have the wake up arc where the heroes get trashed and a few killed. Then the few with the real dive can have an integration and assimililation arc, where they learn to live like a normal person with the system and in the last arc one or maybe a handful become powerful (not the most powerful). I would, as a mean suprise, kill them all off just to get the message across that just because they are reincarnated into a new world they aren't necessarily the mc of that world. Maybe they have a big fight at the end and get betrayed afterwards, by some powerhungry noble that poisons them at the feast to celebrate their victory.

The other option is to make a comedy out of it like you suggested. Or you could make a collection of short stories. 101 dumb ways for heroes to die.

But i won't write anything like that. Writing good lit rpgs is a nightmare. Depending on the system you spend as much time in excel as you spend writing. But i liked the concept of the story. Would be a bit different than most other stories. Even if you decide that it should become the classical, with hard work they will still become the strongest type of story.
I personally have problems with stories where the characters can interact to much with the system. I mean if you can destroy it, it shouldn' be some all powerful system. It also means that at the end of the story the stats and every lit rpg part will become meaningless. I think it takes a core part of the story and makes it uninteresting.