I would like to receive feedback on my first novel ever

amarylais

Hello everyone. I'm seeking feedback on my debut novel. It's my first attempt at writing a book, and I would appreciate any constructive criticism or thoughts on how I can improve.

Note: English is not my native language, feel free to point out anything that sounds unnatural.

Last edited:

Datal0g

While I was waiting for the train, I quickly read chapter 1 and actually finished it. This rarely happens - mostly because the formatting on Scribble Hub drives me crazy. I'm generally not a fan of those one-liner/two-liner paragraphs, but since I was reading your first chapter on my phone, it wasn't so noticeable & the moderate amount of dialogue kept all the one-liners to a minimum (I know...there's a lot of personal preference involved).

Other than that, I think it's okay - so I'd keep reading, at least for now. Unfortunately, I can't give you much constructive advice at the moment. But nothing destructive either, and I think that's a very good sign.

amarylais

While I was waiting for the train, I quickly read chapter 1 and actually finished it. This rarely happens - mostly because the formatting on Scribble Hub drives me crazy. I'm generally not a fan of those one-liner/two-liner paragraphs, but since I was reading your first chapter on my phone, it wasn't so noticeable & the moderate amount of dialogue kept all the one-liners to a minimum (I know...there's a lot of personal preference involved).

Other than that, I think it's okay - so I'd keep reading, at least for now. Unfortunately, I can't give you much constructive advice at the moment. But nothing destructive either, and I think that's a very good sign.
Thank you for taking the time to read it and for sharing your thoughts with me. While I don't expect this to be perfect, I hope it's at least entertaining enough and readable. After all, it wouldn't make sense to keep writing if it were plain boring.

I have this novel posted on RR as well, and the same chapters I posted here are publicly available on my Patreon, in case you prefer any of those formats. Your feedback is truly appreciated!

Datal0g

Your feedback is truly appreciated!
You're welcome.

I will continue reading it here as I'm done with all three chapters now. In general - I had fun reading it, nice story so far and especially the passive skill catched me - even though I had to think about the naming three times as I think "Enchanted Food" would be a better fit. But again - personal preference. I also had 1-2 other sections, where I thought, that your wording was a little bit complex. But overall - I'm curious, what's next and what you plan to do with this passive skill.
After all, it wouldn't make sense to keep writing if it were plain boring.
I'm definitely biased as I like stories/animes about cooking/cooking skills. Food wars, campfire cooking in another world, reborn as a vending machine
(don't blame me for that, I love trash from time to time)
- I've seen them all. :D

Last edited:

amarylais

I left a review.
Good work for a first novel. Keep it up. :)
Hey, thanks for that awesome review! I totally get what you said there, isekai wasn't really my thing either. But, oddly enough, after spending the past few years translating nothing but isekai, I kinda got inspired to create one that includes the elements I actually do like.

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
Not bad. I can see plenty of room for improvement, but you've got a decent foundation as a writer going here.

amarylais

Not bad. I can see plenty of room for improvement, but you've got a decent foundation as a writer going here.
Hey! Absolutely, starting with room to grow was expected and only makes it more fun, right? Really appreciate your thoughts, thanks for taking the time!

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
A vampire tag? I will add it to my reading list.
8llpf9.jpg