If a bad review gets to be the most upvoted one, will you consider abandoning/restarting the story?

ForestDweller

Forest, I think you have talked about it again and again. If you think you want to write the way you wanna write, then ignore the reviews and comments. Or, you can take a look and take some of those feedback parts that are good and improve your story. Either way its up to you.

Lamenting about it on the forums isn't gonna help much. There's potential readers on here too, so sometimes when we comment or post on a thread, how and what we comment on things can determine whether others feel deterred from reading those authors' stories. Especially if we sound like we're blaming the readers a lot of times when not all readers all in the bad bunch.

Also somewhere in a different thread you once mentioned that you ask the readers what they wanna see in the story. Ask them how they feel about the story but don't ask it like you're open to suggestions what to put in your story and then feel bummed about it when they demand too much from you.

Constructive feedback is good to differentiate from the really rude, negative comments though.
Constructive feedback is good and can be helpful for improving. Rude, negative and unhelpful comments are not and they don't count as feedback.

Reviews are for the readers. We can't change it. Its like how we find reviews on things on Amazon. Do you really just only want to hear how good it is? Or also what to be cautious of before you try it? It just sucks, because the review happens to be on the thing you created, but that is how it is.

Like it or not, there'll be bad reviews and there'll be good reviews. How you move forward with it - whether to accept some feedback and improve or grow thicker skin and ignore it - is up to you ultimately.

Haven't you read my post above? There's nothing I can do short of starting over with another story or rebooting the story.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
I mean, it can't be good for newcomers to see it on the top of the list whenever they want to know whether your story is good or not.
You should check my RR reviews. All the "bad" ones are pushed to be as visible as possible while the "good" ones are getting downvoted. No, I would never even have a speck of doubt seeing them. Most of them are just pointless noise anyway. And if they aren't, I just get as much feedback from them as possible and that's all. It's truly worthless to worry so much. Go with your idea or die trying. Change it if YOU feel it went wrong or not good enough. Learning experience is learning experience.

D

Deleted member 45782

Haven't you read my post above? There's nothing I can do short of starting over with another story or rebooting the story.
Yes I have. There's always ways to go about it. Or you can take a break and return and see how you wanna go with your story.

Either you continue moving forward writing and ignoring the comments that drain you or you do something about it. That is what I meant.

DubstheDuke

I think that if I was my old self say a year and a half ago, yes. I would. But myself now? Nah. See now, people are pretty insensitive. They don't really care about the feelings of people, and will just blatantly spit off insults without considering the consequences of this (Such as discouraging new authors). When I received my first criticism, I was already well into writing the series. Criticism (And not the constructive kind) was some of the first comments I got, and I didn't take it lightly. I considered quitting. I rethought everything I had written, and all the time I spent, and had a small crisis. However at the end of the day, I was in too deep. So I kept going. If I was earlier on in the series, I probably would have gotten discouraged and actually quit. But I had already written so much that I just said 'screw it. I don't care what this person says or thinks. I've already come this far, I might as well finish.'

And boy am I glad I did.

From then on, there was more criticism. But there was also the occasional praise. And the fact that SOME people enjoyed it meant that it was worth continuing.

My point here? Well, I guess there are some things you can only get through experience. Don't quit just because one person dislikes your stuff. How can you get better if you quit all the time?

Darkwood

I don't think I have had a review after the first two months of writing and it has been nearly a year now. I don't even bother to check which ones are upvoted. They are not in a particularly prominent place on the site and since I don't look at them, I doubt many others do too.

Star rating however? That is another thing entirely as people actually look at that. And almost certainly not a problem so long as you have one of: a tenuous grasp on the english language, r18, bl or isekai. You'll likely get 90% 5 starts.

LuxInTenebris

Star rating however? That is another thing entirely as people actually look at that. And almost certainly not a problem so long as you have one of: a tenuous grasp on the english language, r18, bl or isekai. You'll likely get 90% 5 starts.
You forgot smut gb gl adult litrpg

CL

@ForestDweller Have you heard of the term "swimming upstream"? I Googled the term just now and I want to showcase the result here:
"To opt for a difficult course of action when a simpler or safer alternative is available; to make an unwise decision against sound advice. I told my daughter to get her hair dyed at a salon, but she had to swim upstream and do it herself. Now it's a mess."
Google's example was a good one. The daughter now knows that she can either listen to her mother or try doing a better job of her hair next time. I'm sure she learned something from that fiasco.

Like her, I learned a good deal from making plenty of mistakes.

Just for the right to brag, I would love to claim that I've taken the path less traveled. I believe there are real reasons as to why that path isn't taken. Many have and still will point out my errors. If I can't fix it to suit them then I'll ask and listen if they have a better way in mind. You've done that here. We listened and responded. Although I'll shut them out if their answers are nothing more than: "that's wrong".

We all make mistakes. That is a good thing. If we were perfect, we could never have another opportunity to become better. That is why writing stories is never a mistake. We're learning how to convey what only we've seen to others. It's not the best way (or easy) because we can't offer them a perfect picture of what we've experienced. Describing what we've seen is what we are doing and many still won't envision what all we had.

We can try telling them better next time.

Dreams and nightmares come naturally to everyone. Our own lives have had unique experiences too. All we are doing is writing down that which we've imagined and remembered. Those noteworthy fantasies are not quittable. We can stop writing about them, but those thoughts won't leave.

We all have stories to tell. Us authors did the hard part writing them up. I have the choice to share.

ForestDweller

*looks at my rating*

:cry:

skillet

a frying pan
I think it would depend! If the review says stuff I know is not true (i.e. 'this story has horrible grammar and I never know who's talking!!! the author should go die because dsafjdklsafjd!!!!'), then I'd be like 'whut -_-' and just ignore it. Then again, if they go 'this is boring' and that's like it, I'd be really sad... :( but I wouldn't stop writing because of it. If anything, I might pursue the reader and go 'could you tell me why' lolol and be super annoying instead xD

ehh, in the end, I would either agree with them and think of ways to better my story, or ignore them and keep writing. Either way, I guess I wouldn't stop, because I believe in my stories enough. :blob_popcorn:

D

Deleted member 45782

*looks at my rating*

:cry:
Alright. Here's the thing. I don't think anyone's advice here has really went through to you.

Just stop. Stop thinking about how others feel what your story is.

You're making yourself miserable and hating it bc the attention you get is not how well your story is liked, but how much criticism it gets.

It makes you into a bit of self pitying (as in its always wondering why your story gets negative comments, "why do people do this to my story, I've worked so hard on it" kind of comment). This leads you to being demotivated from writing and actually starting to hate it.

Its not about whether who sponsors more (you bring up Patreon all the time).

Stop thinking about what others feel since it seems to always make you feel like crap.

Write your stuff first. Finish. Edit. Sit back and watch the accomplishment of it being done instead of relying on the feel good by how others perceive your writing as.

If you take in a heavy does of negative comments, you must also look at the positive comments. I checked your story and it doesn't just have negative reviews, there's also positive ones. If you only focus on the bad, you will not get anywhere and it only makes you feel down. You'll let down actual good readers who like your story if you lump all of them as bad and keep saying you should just go to Patreon.

There's only 2 options: ignore others and continue writing or accept the feedback and improve. Since you insist that the latter option does not cater to your story, then just ignore others and write for yourself instead of how others feel.

Also if you insist on writing how you want to write, then ignore the comments and stop getting bummed about it. Ignore it completely. The more you mention about it, the more it reminds you of that and it keeps making you feel sad about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ForestDweller

There's only 2 options: ignore others and continue writing or accept the feedback and improve. Since you insist that the latter option does not cater to your story, then just ignore others and write for yourself instead of how others feel.

Accepting the feedback I got means just abandoning the story altogether since the feedback is basically "the plot sucks".

Which I would do if I had a more interesting plot idea in mind. Unfortunately, I do not.

Also if you insist on writing how you want to write, then ignore the comments and stop getting bummed about it. Ignore it completely. The more you mention about it, the more it reminds you of that and it keeps making you feel sad about it.

Then why should I bother posting it online in the first place?

You'll let down actual good readers who like your story if you lump all of them as bad and keep saying you should just go to Patreon.

The only letting down I'm doing is cutting my update speed in half because half of the updates became Patreon exclusive.

I want that money for artwork. If I can't get popular, might as well get some bucks for all my efforts.

Though both go hand to hand. 30 bucks per month is nothing compared to the more popular writers in this site.

D

Deleted member 45782

Accepting the feedback I got means just abandoning the story altogether since the feedback is basically "the plot sucks".

Which I would do if I had a more interesting plot idea in mind. Unfortunately, I do not.

Then why should I bother posting it online in the first place?

The only letting down I'm doing is cutting my update speed in half because half of the updates became Patreon exclusive.

I want that money for artwork. If I can't get popular, might as well get some bucks for all my efforts.

Though both go hand to hand. 30 bucks per month is nothing compared to the more popular writers in this site.
Forest, you're missing the point.
I told you already so let's be clear. If you don't want feedback then ignore the comments and the ratings.

All your comments. Heck all your profile posts updates is just you responding to yourself how you feel demotivated after you see a negative comment or another bad star rating.

Its great that others paid for your work on Patreon and its good that your work is getting some recognition.
But if you are feeling down in the dumps every time you see a negative comment or a 1 star rating, then ignore it. Its only making you feel crap all the time. Ignore it so you can move on and continue with whatever you're doing.

ForestDweller

All your comments. Heck all your profile posts updates is just you responding to yourself how you feel demotivated after you see a negative comment or another bad star rating.

Bullshit. I comment ideas and chapter announcements on my profile as well.

And why did you delete your comments on my page?

D

Deleted member 45782

Bullshit. I comment ideas and chapter announcements on my profile as well.
Take a look at the last two pages of your ScribbleHub Forum profile status. Maybe not all of them but most of them are about you seeing a bad review or negative comment and saying this is why you go to Patreon or demotivated to continue writing.

And why did you delete your comments on my page?
Where? I believe it should still be there. I don't delete comments on your ScribbleHub forum profile status nor am I deleting my comments here because I stand by it that you need move on from just the negativity on your stories. It's only dragging you down and making you feel miserable so it's not helping you rn.

Last edited by a moderator:

ForestDweller

Take a look at the last two pages of your profile status. Maybe not all of them but most of them are about you seeing a baf review or negative comment and saying this is why you go to Patreon or demotivated to continue writing.

Where? I believe it should still be there.

Oh, not on the front page, but on the forums.

Why would I post my ideas here? My readers are on the front page.

D

Deleted member 45782

Oh, not on the front page, but on the forums.

Why would I post my ideas here? My readers are on the front page.
Again, you are missing the point.

I'm not talking about your ideas.

I'm talking about how you always comment on how it sucks to see bad stars and comments on your story.

It is turning into something that sounds like woe, me a lot. If those reviews and comments upset you so much, then don't read them. Don't reply to them.

Continue writing without giving up. And don't think about how others think your story sucks cause then it makes you feel like suck all the time. Just ignore them for awhile and write.

ForestDweller

I'm talking about how you always comment on how it sucks to see bad stars and comments on your story.

It is turning into something that sounds like woe, me a lot.

Oh yes, it is "woe is me". But I thought it is fine to vent here. Unless it is not?

D

Deleted member 53101

gb gl adult litrpg
So this is the rule of thumb of a popular story in this platform.

I'm a new member that recently joined, but ..., can you do something like this on the review as well?
Untitled.png
I did a lot of 'cleaning' with the comment section in my story. Mostly to those who simply left after bothering to type "This is trash, dropped it".
It's quite traumatic to read them again, so I don't like seeing it in my chapters. :blob_okay:
They'd never come to my story again, anyway. :blob_sir: