Writing If it doesn't have perfect logic, there isn't even subpar reality.

prognastat

LOGIC is the art of anticontradictory identification; causal fluency.

You don't even stick to the actual meaning of words and just use the stereotype "logic = boring unending formulas".

a LOGICAL NARRATIVE is a telling of events with a fully functional theme and plot

Who can talk to a bastard like you who doesn't dare or bother looking deeply at the real meaning behind words? The true principle underlying a concept?

Sigh...

It is pretty offputting how many scumbag shamartists there are around here.

Hey, @prognastat ---Mr Nihilist--- why don't you give me the honor of offering the Last Word like a good lil evil nobody?

Because I can't bear to suffer all this nonsense anymore.

I promise I won't respond to you again; isn't this the perfect opportunity to flex your socially superior bullshit in a fashionable flair of virtue-signalling?
And this is why no one reads your shit. You are incapable of reading comprehension and have no willingness to learn. Rather than using big words because they make you feel good about yourself try actually understanding what I said.

Sola-sama

Retired Old Man
Well, you and quite a few others don't seem to comprehend that if your story doesn't fucking make sense you can't possibly enjoy it.

Of course, you don't need to write a bunch of useless details that are uninteresting and get in the way of experiencing the plot. I never said you had to give explanations behind every phenomena; "perfect logic" means syllogistically your conception works against reality.

As for saying 'my novel is for escaping reality' do you even understand how fucking stupid that requires you to be, to even believe that is possible?
Forget about being stupid, it can only be dishonest of you regarding your own mind----to consider anything but reality as what can be imagined; any thought in your head you could ever have only has the reference of reality----past present future----to take as the subject.

The only thing other than reality is NIH, which just means annihilating yourself. Goodbye, reality!

°~°

(Also, a fic is the reflection of what could be if things were different: the rule is that when you are generating the setting\context, it cannot have factual events within it. This doesn't suggest evading reality, but eschewing-out the possibilities therein by showing how extremely different your choices make them.)
Dude, your own argument doesn't have perfect logic. Why do someone need to be 'fucking stupid' for saying someone's novel is for escaping reality? What is even 'perfect logic'? Explain to me like am a 5 year old, I dare you.

I enjoy deep scientific discussion or reading complex science articles, but that does not invalidate the fact that I enjoy reading shit isekai manga while turning my brain off. Why do I have to read something with perfect logic? Most popular media, e.g Harry Potter, Overlord, Naruto, Martial World, Solo Leveling or any other things that you've probably read doesn't have perfect logic. That's why they don't have 10/10 rating.

But Sola-sama, they are internally and logically consistent...

No they do not. I doubt you even write. Perfect is the enemy of good, if you keep trying to write a novel with 'perfect' logic or 'perfect' plot or whatever 'perfect', you won't produce anything at all. The world run on 'good enough', not 'perfect'.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Title: "Embracing the Ethereal: A Theoretical Discourse on the Irrelevance of Logic in Fantasy Writing"

Abstract:

In the enchanting realm of fantasy writing, where dragons soar through mystical skies and wizards conjure spells with a mere wave of their wands, the very essence of the genre lies in the liberation from the shackles of logic. This discourse aims to illuminate the fantastical landscape, arguing that logic, with its grounding in the mundane, has no rightful place in the tapestry of imaginative worlds.

Introduction:

Fantasy, as a genre, invites readers to escape the boundaries of reality and delve into the extraordinary. Attempting to impose the rigid constraints of logic upon the ethereal realms of fantasy is akin to caging a phoenix and expecting it to sing mathematical equations. This discourse contends that the charm and allure of fantasy writing lie precisely in its ability to transcend the confines of reason and embrace the fantastical.

The Illogical Beauty of Fantasy:

Fantasy thrives on the paradoxical, the irrational, and the whimsical. In realms where unicorns graze upon moonlit meadows and sentient trees engage in philosophical discussions, logic becomes an unwelcome guest. It is the lack of adherence to rationality that allows fantasy to flourish and transport readers to realms unbounded by the limitations of the real world.

The Power of Imagination:

Logic, rooted in the empirical and the provable, stifles the boundless potential of imagination. In the absence of logic, authors are free to weave intricate tales that defy the very laws of nature. Embracing the illogical encourages writers to explore new dimensions, concocting magical systems and fantastical creatures that exist beyond the comprehension of the rational mind.

Reader's Suspension of Disbelief:

Logic, by its nature, demands consistency and adherence to established rules. However, in the fantastical realms of magic and wonder, readers willingly suspend their disbelief to embark on an otherworldly journey. Attempting to inject logic into these worlds disrupts the delicate balance between disbelief and enchantment, jeopardizing the reader's immersive experience.

Conclusion:

In the hallowed halls of fantasy writing, logic is an intruder seeking to impose order on chaos, to impose reason upon the unreasonable. To fully appreciate the wonders of fantasy, one must embrace the irrational, the fantastical, and the whimsical. In allowing the imagination to roam unfettered, authors can craft tales that transport readers beyond the boundaries of reality, into the uncharted territories where logic has no dominion. So, let us raise our quills in celebration of the illogical beauty that defines the very essence of fantasy writing.

Ran-Ron

Ashen-haired waifu enthusiast
Writing Tip: Just Do It

DO IT, just DO IT! Don’t let your dreams be dreams. Yesterday, you said tomorrow. So just. DO IT! Make. your dreams. COME TRUE! Just… do it! Some people dream of success, while you’re gonna wake up and work HARD at it! NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!You should get to the point where anyone else would quit, and you’re not gonna stop there. NO! What are you waiting for? … DO IT! Just… DO IT! Yes you can! Just do it! If you’re tired of starting over, stop. giving. up.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Writing Tip: Just Do It

DO IT, just DO IT! Don’t let your dreams be dreams. Yesterday, you said tomorrow. So just. DO IT! Make. your dreams. COME TRUE! Just… do it! Some people dream of success, while you’re gonna wake up and work HARD at it! NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!You should get to the point where anyone else would quit, and you’re not gonna stop there. NO! What are you waiting for? … DO IT! Just… DO IT! Yes you can! Just do it! If you’re tired of starting over, stop. giving. up.

Mortrexo

Oh, wow. I usually refrain from commenting. However, this is ridiculous. Logic is the base of a good story? Right, because all of the Marvel plots, one of the most successful worldwide, make sense, right? At one moment, Captain America is blocking a meteor, and at the next, he is being held back by normal people.

A good story actually uses a basis of logic and standards for the world the author created and then breaks it. A MC that shouldn't be able to fight level 20 people at level 10, suddenly he is able to do it because of a sudden awakening. THAT, is what makes people's blood boil. The subversion of expectations. The fact that someone thinks that something will happen, and then the author twists something to hit the reader from a blind spot.

Since ancient times, the stories that have captivated the public's attention are stories like that one. It doesn't make sense? So what? Does it make sense that Goku started as someone who couldn't move a car to someone who could destroy galaxies? Does it make sense that Luffy from One Piece suddenly awakens Gear 5 and destroys the previously publicly recognized strongest pirate? Does it make sense that someone that supposedly has infinite strength is suddenly defeated because of a bs power that the MC awakened? No. It isn't logical. The people they are defeating have trained far longer and harder and have far better foundations in MOST situations, but they are the MC, so they can surpass the "logic" of the book to give the readers a surprise and make them excited.

One Punch Man is the perfect example. Why would One Punch Man be a global hit otherwise? In two years, a man is punching Gods to oblivion, and he has just trained for 3 years.

TLRD: An author should create a world with basic rules and work for the story to subvert everything they've laid out previously in an orderly way to give the reader a good surprise and maybe a hidden punch in the gut by creating an unexpected struggle.

StarrGaze

Who can talk to a bastard like you who doesn't dare or bother looking deeply at the real meaning behind words? The true principle underlying a concept?

I promise I won't respond to you again; isn't this the perfect opportunity to flex your socially superior bullshit in a fashionable flair of virtue-signalling?
The irony. I'm going to use "virtue-signaling" against anybody who disagrees with my opinion in the future:LOL:

MintiLime

Unofficial Class President, Author
The illusion of logic is often a physiological affect caused by the status of existence upon the unwilling. In certain stories a complete lack of logic is the basis of the story’s internal logic, meaning that any cohesive narrative would thereby break the logic contained within, and yet the pattern often is found out by audiences like a truffle dug out by a pig. Meaningless in the story of the chaos, the theme ought to be nonexistent. However, the author’s guiding hand makes true incomprehensibility impossible. That said, the over interpretation, oft illustrated by that illustrious red door scenery, is also true. The supposed work of the author’s guiding hand is likely to be the overimposition of an interpretation of falsehood based on truth, thereby creating a half truth that means less than the nothing it was created from. The insistence that what is good is logical is actually a fallacy unless scientifically proven otherwise. I seem, however, to predict that one cannot define what logic truly is in the course of a story, at least not in a philosophically expressive and honorable way. The basis of a proof of logic is that no steps are skipped and not a single assumption goes overlooked. The very often quoted butterfly effect, in which one small action causes a large result elsewhere, would stay true in any story for which society and logic both exists. Which is to say, that one small interaction existing in the novel’s existing world ought to have an effect upon the characters. The story can never follow a logical proof unless each action happening to any existing personage within the novel world is outlined. Of course, the author bears an omniscient viewpoint, a deity of the fantastical land that the personage created. However, a human unlike a true god lacks the neurological capacity to imagine and summarize all of existence, except perhaps if the novel world was actually taking place in a creation story. At that point, it would be required to name the number of grass stalks on the plains. In any case, the point to be made is that any exclusion of existence, no matter how small, renders the novel too reductionist to be logical.

Avakrael

Perfect Logic = all the pieces fit together correctly |_ therefore, it works.

"Excessive Logic' is when you already have Perfect Logic, but you pile on extra to make sure.
This is like grime in the gears, not healthy; you'll need to clean it out eventually.

Last edited: