I'm not sure whether to continue my story with 'I' or my character's name.

MrPopocap

First I will warn you that English is not my first language, so one of the reasons could be this.

Ok, so here is my question. If you read my story you will notice that I use ''I'' many times and other times the name Oliver, to talk about our protagonist.

The problem I am having is that I am using the word "I" too much and this is bothering me. Besides, saying the protagonist's name sounds much better than starting every sentence with I.

Do you have any advice on how to change this? I want to change it to just Oliver but some sentences can sound confusing, and this is making me doubtful.

Immortal_17

What perspective are you using? Mentioning "I" all the time is generally associated with first person perspective so there's nothing wrong with that. You should read other stories(both third and first person) to see how the authors write out their stories using perspective.

Erys

Her Highness
Using the word "I" too much is fine as long as you don't use it in the beginning of every sentence in a paragraph. It's called repetitive sentence, try to avoid it.

You can replace some words while still getting the point of the sentence across.

From this:
I slowly raised my hands and covered my face with it. I have so much on my mind and so little time to think.

To this:
I slowly raised my hands and covered my face with it. There is so much on my mind and so little time to think.

MrPopocap

What perspective are you using? Mentioning "I" all the time is generally associated with first person perspective so there's nothing wrong with that. You should read other stories(both third and first person) to see how the authors write out their stories using perspective.
That's the problem, I like both 1 and 3 person and I prefer 3 person, but some things would get confusing because I started the story in 1 person.

Should I just switch to 3 person entirely or is there a way to keep switching between 1 and 3 person?

AuntieMaysLittleCousin

Level 73 Practical Procastinator
Normally, when you're switching between 1st and 3rd, you use the former to depict all scenes where the MC is participating, and the later to introduce someone else's POV, or to improve the quality of description. I would take DanMachi (Light Novel) for a perfect example of switching between 1st and 3rd person.
I usually write in 3d person, and introduce any thoughts the MC might have via italic font, but that's just my style.

Tsukimichi's web novel is also a good example of this, since they do it more often.

Jemini

First I will warn you that English is not my first language, so one of the reasons could be this.

Ok, so here is my question. If you read my story you will notice that I use ''I'' many times and other times the name Oliver, to talk about our protagonist.

The problem I am having is that I am using the word "I" too much and this is bothering me. Besides, saying the protagonist's name sounds much better than starting every sentence with I.

Do you have any advice on how to change this? I want to change it to just Oliver but some sentences can sound confusing, and this is making me doubtful.

What you are asking here is whether you should use 1st or 3rd person perspective. As for that, you can use whichever one you like, so long as you stay consistent. In other words, the fact that you said you noticed yourself using them both is VERY BAD. Either one is good, but a mix of both is bad. I would say you need to choose one or the other, and then go back and edit your past chapters to make them all consistent.

That's the problem, I like both 1 and 3 person and I prefer 3 person, but some things would get confusing because I started the story in 1 person.

Should I just switch to 3 person entirely or is there a way to keep switching between 1 and 3 person?
If possible, just stick with 3rd person, seeing what you trying to do, maybe try '3rd person limited'.

TroubleFait

Yeah, it's a question of reading flow isn't it?
As a reader you get into a certain headspace and it doesn't work if the writing style isn't consistent.

D

Deleted member 54065

Speaking of perspectives, there's no rule regarding that you should only choose one POV throughout the novel. You can change POVs, the only important point is that you don't confuse the reader.

Best example of this in Western literature scene is the novel Dragonfly in Amber.

In East Asian pop literature, the mix of both POVs is mostly found in light novels.

Last edited by a moderator:

Immortal_17

Use I when it's your main character's monologue and use third person when someone is talking about your MC and mentioning his name and/or actions. If your MC is a person who was transmigrated into another person then it's not necessary to change anything in your story.