Writing Is it normal to change pov too frequenly in one chapter??

MasFaqih

I want to write a Chapter for my movel but in this one chapter i have 3 pov simultaneously to add details to an important character is it normal?

Insomniologist

Nemurenu Kyōfu
While you probably shouldn’t do it too often, what you’re describing is normal. Just don’t switch like, seven times in one chapter.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
I may be an outliner, but when there are POV switches in a chapter, I get confused, and it makes me not want to read it. The only time it works for me is when 1st person's view zooms out into a 3rd person narration because the MC can't be physically there. But that also needs to happen with a break in the story/flow, etc., so as not to make it sudden and jarring.

MasFaqih

I may be an outliner, but when there are POV switches in a chapter, I get confused, and it makes me not want to read it. The only time it works for me is when 1st person's view zooms out into a 3rd person narration because the MC can't be physically there. But that also needs to happen with a break in the story/flow, etc., so as not to make it sudden and jarring.
So i write it at the beginning of a chapter will the reader be confused??

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
So i write it at the beginning of a chapter will the reader be confused??
It is reader dependent, but I think switching POV multiple times in one chapter is to be avoided. But that's my opinion, you can experiment with it of course or wait for others' answers.

Instead of showing three POVs, can you convey them through their reactions or even their words?

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Depends on your writing style. If you're writing in 3rd person it's a neat tool to 'circle' a scene, but if it's 1st person it just gets confusing. Even if you tell the reader whose POV you're currently following they tend to get confused.

FatElf

I want to write a Chapter for my movel but in this one chapter i have 3 pov simultaneously to add details to an important character is it normal?
I wouldn't head hop between paragraphs, that kills the immersion.
Also add some sort of indicator, a break line, or something so the reader knows the pov changed.

The issue I find with switching povs is that most of the time, the reader is not invested in the other characters apart from the MC, and changing povs doesn't help.

NineHeadHeavenDevouringSerpent

Pov change is a great writing tool, but has to be properly done. Three pov in one chapter sounds too cramped, you might want to do it in two or three chapters.

Also don't extend the period of others' pov overly, readers want to quickly get back to what the protagonist is doing. If you end up tens of chapter just side character povs then they'll quickly lose interest. (Not that it isn't done, but it's necessary to note it isn't recommended)

If there isn't one specific protagonist then yeah frequent pov changes make sense a lot more, and you can keep 3 pov in one chapter...like for a climax scene when all the pov are clashing finally.

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
What you're describing sounds like head-hopping. Which you shouldn't do. But there is a lot of missing context here.

Piisfun

Playful Spacetime Dragon
As a general rule:
  • Only use well-established characters with previous point-of-view chapters when doing this
  • No more than 2 points of view per chapter
  • No more than 2 switches between them (A->B or A->B->A)
  • Change must be clearly marked with a section break marker (three dots spaced out horizontally, these can be pretty decorative, like these fox heads)
  • The new point of view should be clearly stated within the first two sentences after the break.
This should really only be done when the chapter wouldn't work without it, just like repeating an event between chapters should only be done if you need multiple viewpoints.

Last edited:

MasFaqih

Pov change is a great writing tool, but has to be properly done. Three pov in one chapter sounds too cramped, you might want to do it in two or three chapters.

Also don't extend the period of others' pov overly, readers want to quickly get back to what the protagonist is doing. If you end up tens of chapter just side character povs then they'll quickly lose interest. (Not that it isn't done, but it's necessary to note it isn't recommended)

If there isn't one specific protagonist then yeah frequent pov changes make sense a lot more, and you can keep 3 pov in one chapter...like for a climax scene when all the pov are clashing finally.
The protagonist is just one,but i wanna give my other character some depth and gave them some personality as i need it later on
What you're describing sounds like head-hopping. Which you shouldn't do. But there is a lot of missing context here.
I just want to prepare a new character that will have impact later on,but i think you are cool
Instead of showing three POVs, can you convey them through their reactions or even their words?
I use both showing their emotion in mc pov and support pov when the mc is not there and the event are important enough later on

Last edited:
No offence but I’d argue three is too much, if possible it might be worth switching the POV to the character who’s inner monologue is the ‘most valuable’ and have them check out the other two’s reactions/ expression.

Saying that idk what the context is so mb if this advice is useless.

Also I use punctuation to signify a POV swap, you could do the same.

Mine goes
=============
Like this

Last edited:

SainS

You could write 3rd Person Omniscient style. It allows you to have multiple POV shifts, though it can be quite tricky to pull off and modern internet readers may be turned off by it, since it's not very common anymore.

MasFaqih

No offence but I’d argue three is too much, if possible it might be worth switching the POV to the character who’s inner monologue is the ‘most valuable’ and have them check out the other two’s reactions/ expression.

Saying that idk what the context is so mb if this advice is useless.

Also I use punctuation to signify a POV swap, you could do the same.

Mine goes
=============
Like this
I use punctuation too and the context is i use pov 1 as different character in the past,pov 2 i use the original mc and pov 3 i use the villains group from 3rd point of view

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
like the walking dead did. I enjoyed the show, but when they'd go 2-3 episodes focusing on this character or that one, it just... bleh. Like the governor was an okay character, but I didn't want to sit there and watch him find a new family, then find a new group, then...

Just give me rick and co. and I'll be happy.

HypnoticNovels

I try to avoid POV switches, but in my recent chapters that I'm writing, it's a bit unavoidable (T.T). Like others have said, they are best when going from a 1st person point of view to a 3rd person point of view, because it is pretty clear when the change happens. I separate mine with a -+-+-+-+-+-+-+ thingy.

If you are changing points of view, I highly highly highly recommend immediately naming the person you are switching to. Literally start off with something like [ character was in the banana pile eating gummy worms when he accidentally bit his finger]

Anyway, too many switches in a single chapter can make it feel extremely messy. 2 POVs is a fine amount and three can be okay depending on the chapter length, but anything more than that is too much. Try to fluff out what happens in the switches and then use the start of the next chapter as a way to switch again

I use punctuation too and the context is i use pov 1 as different character in the past,pov 2 i use the original mc and pov 3 i use the villains group from 3rd point of view
Oh nice!

Hmm, is it possible to switch around the POV order then? Assuming that the mc's pov isn't related to anything the other character says, you could have it go: POV 2, POV 1 then finally POV 3 where POV 1 notices them. Eg: they see a group of hooded figures shrouded in darkness, character isn't able to see their faces but can tell one of them is biting their lip in anger to the point of drawing blood.

Ofc if there's some villain dialogue, you could have POV 1 pick up on it even if it's only a line.

Well that's how I would do things but at the end of the day it's your story, so feel free to write however you like

MasFaqih

I try to avoid POV switches, but in my recent chapters that I'm writing, it's a bit unavoidable (T.T). Like others have said, they are best when going from a 1st person point of view to a 3rd person point of view, because it is pretty clear when the change happens. I separate mine with a -+-+-+-+-+-+-+ thingy.

If you are changing points of view, I highly highly highly recommend immediately naming the person you are switching to. Literally start off with something like [ character was in the banana pile eating gummy worms when he accidentally bit his finger]

Anyway, too many switches in a single chapter can make it feel extremely messy. 2 POVs is a fine amount and three can be okay depending on the chapter length, but anything more than that is too much. Try to fluff out what happens in the switches and then use the start of the next chapter as a way to switch again
I use 4 pov,well i think its good enough,
Oh nice!

Hmm, is it possible to switch around the POV order then? Assuming that the mc's pov isn't related to anything the other character says, you could have it go: POV 2, POV 1 then finally POV 3 where POV 1 notices them. Eg: they see a group of hooded figures shrouded in darkness, character isn't able to see their faces but can tell one of them is biting their lip in anger to the point of drawing blood.

Ofc if there's some villain dialogue, you could have POV 1 pick up on it even if it's only a line.

Well that's how I would do things but at the end of the day it's your story, so feel free to write however you like
Its different situation all togther pov 1 tells what this character doing 10 years ago ,pov 2 tells what mc doing now ,and pov 3 tell from 3rd pov about a group of villain want to plot against some character,and i added pov 4 is tells what happen to this character after the pov 2 ends
like the walking dead did. I enjoyed the show, but when they'd go 2-3 episodes focusing on this character or that one, it just... bleh. Like the governor was an okay character, but I didn't want to sit there and watch him find a new family, then find a new group, then...

Just give me rick and co. and I'll be happy.
I think like that too so my pov for other character is minimal ,but if the plot building of this character important i describe the details of them

quagma

subatomic cephalopod
i have three main characters who i switch between the POVs of regularly, with a few chapters in each. Sometimes i switch the pov once or twice in a chapter, but i also tend to have like, at least 1.5k words for each perspective. I do try to stay on the first MCs POV more often, as first introduced MC tends to be the character most often focused on by readers. Sometimes I add an interlude from an outside character, to compare and contrast, but rarely do I just re-state the entire event again, because that gets repetitive.