Is it worth it to begin writing a story that somebody else has already written?

TotallyHuman

As probably most casual authors here, I started committing stories here because of an over-saturated taste that demanded more and more specific stories as time went on. A liking for stories with certain clichés developed to liking stories with particular ways of implementation of said clichés and then developed to tastes so specific that no novel already written could actually provide what I wanted and left me no choice but to actually try to write what I envisioned.
For me, there's no argument of whether or not to start writing a story that has satisfied the conditions I wanted out of it, since one of the primary goals of writing anything initially, at least, for me is the satisfaction of described cravings, which are already dealt with by the already written story.
Now, you who reads this post, may very well have different motivations for writing a story. Still, if you want to write a story but you also already know that this story that has basically been written already, would you still start writing it?
I'll tune out for a few hours and only reply much later.

Akivien

I wouldn't write a copy of another story that isn't fun, however if somethings are similaires idontmind

SailusGebel

If it's 100% exactly the same, I won't write it. I would read such a story. But it's unrealistic. There are no two identical stories; the only way to achieve such similarities is to copy-paste.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
I'd say the chances of finding something you can read without at any point thinking "huh, that could have been done better" are next to zero.
The result of adjusting something to your personal preferences most likely won't be a work of unmatched novelty and literary genius, but would it have to be?

The over-saturated genres, especially in webnovels, are those that live from the fact that their largely unchanged core premise can be read many times over.