Is juggling different projects a good idea?

doravg

105/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
Is it? I feel that internal feeling to write, but I simply don't have any ideas for my current project. What are your experiences when it comes to writing more than one book at a time? Can you give me some advice, please?

Thanks!

KuruKinaar

I recently have been bouncing between two projects. Honestly, have your outline and notes for each story separate and available so you don't forget what ideas you have for where you're going for each project. You could also make a schedule for what story you focus on for each day so you evenly work on each project. That's all I can honestly think of.

doravg

I recently have been bouncing between two projects. Honestly, have your outline and notes for each story separate and available so you don't forget what ideas you have for where you're going for each project. You could also make a schedule for what story you focus on for each day so you evenly work on each project. That's all I can honestly think of.
Thank you!

AYM

Average cilantro enjoyer
Writing two books is like following two paths, with your left leg on one path and your right leg on the other. The more similar the books are, the easier it will be to not lose yourself. The more different the books are, you are able to see the sights of two different paths, but the easier you can lose your way and the more difficult it is to continue.

Temple

I have four ongoing series. Is it a good idea in terms of productivity? Nope. I have work and other commitments, and cycling to 4 series to update them is insane. It's also difficult to get into the "flow" when switching from one project to the next, compared to churning out chapters in just one series. Managing the characters, world, plotlines is also very hard.

But I want to write these four, so.... here I am with this problem.

My advice is spend time in one project before swithing to the next. If you have two books. Don't alternate one chapter. Make like five chapters for A then five for B. It's hard to get into the flow for each book, so take advantage of it before switching. Also have notes about plotlines and plans before switching, so that you don't forget where you are when you return.

doravg

I have four ongoing series. Is it a good idea in terms of productivity? Nope. I have work and other commitments, and cycling to 4 series to update them is insane. It's also difficult to get into the "flow" when switching from one project to the next, compared to churning out chapters in just one series. Managing the characters, world, plotlines is also very hard.

But I want to write these four, so.... here I am with this problem.

My advice is spend time in one project before swithing to the next. If you have two books. Don't alternate one chapter. Make like five chapters for A then five for B. It's hard to get into the flow for each book, so take advantage of it before switching. Also have notes about plotlines and plans before switching, so that you don't forget where you are when you return.
Do you take the notes on paper or online?

Bobple

Ummmm depends? I think for a person doing this causally, 2 projects should be the limit. Saying that, I'm not following my own advice, cause I'm working on 2~4.

I currently have two, but they have different upload rates, so I'm I have time to work on one before touching the other. I pause one of them after each arc to further plan future ones while the second story has shorter chapters and requires less brain power for me to write. I keep notes of both and organise the chapters so I can always remember what I have/will write.

But yeah, the basics advice I have is.
- Keep notes (I do them online cause it's easier for me to keep track of them) (They don't need to be extensive, just what ever works for you).
- Keep upload rates different (If you have a schedule), dealing with two deadlines that are happening at the same time is much harder than just one.
- Some people can do 1 chapter of one then switch to one chapter of the other, others do them in batches, others just write whatever they are motivated to write at the moment. I can't really say what will work for you, cause everyone's different.
- Don't keeping making new stories each time you reach a block for all your current stories. This becomes easy to do once you start the first step and make a second story. But this is a terrible idea (Making a short stories is fine, but doing longer stories is a big no no.)

Yeah, hope this helps.

Shyuurin

I'm working on four at the same time, and learnt over these past few weeks that trying to put out a chapter a day, even when bouncing between the different projects, was too hard for me. I'm most comfortable at putting out one chapter per story every week (so four chapters a week).
The stories are all set in the same universe, following different sets of protagonists, so I actually do get mixed up sometimes, forgetting which character knows what, who they've met, what they've experienced. I have to keep reading over the stories.
That said, I know my brain will eat itself if I only work on one project at a time, so I just have to be very organised and keep track of where each story and set of characters is up to. Even with four stories on the go, my brain is still churning out more new story ideas...

BlackKnightX

Never done it myself, but I heard it was a good way to prevent boredom, avoid procrastination, and keep you productive overall.

Temple

Do you take the notes on paper or online?
With sticky notes program in my laptop. Different colors for each series. I have list of ongoing/planned plot lines, stuff in the next batch of chapters, and list of things I want to include in the story but have still no plans how.

Kalliel

Grind, Future, A Beautiful Star
Depends on your work efficiency.
If you can get out at least two or three chapters a week in total, then it will be fine in my opinion. Might even be beneficial.
But if you are only able to write three or four chapters a month, then your readers will turn into skeletons before your novels are complete.

doravg

Depends on your work efficiency.
If you can get out at least two or three chapters a week in total, then it will be fine in my opinion. Might even be beneficial.
But if you are only able to write three or four chapters a month, then your readers will turn into skeletons before your novels are complete.
Writing every day is not a problem for me. I just want to get more writing practice in per day.

QuercusMalus

A bad apple...
Write short stories placed in the world of your main story. Doesn't have to feature the main characters or even the minor characters but can allow you to expand and flesh out your world building. Gives you a break from your main.

doravg

Write short stories placed in the world of your main story. Doesn't have to feature the main characters or even the minor characters but can allow you to expand and flesh out your world building. Gives you a break from your main.
Hey, that is pretty neat! Thank you!