Is Realistic Novels specifically school setting Romance not your thing?

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Romance in general isn't my cup of tea
well going back and going further, I will still read it provided it provokes my interest, but I just dont find those as often. The genre doesnt really matter to me so much as the writing when I am rating a book, I just tend to not spend as much time in the romance section of a Barnes and Noble as I do in the science fiction section

ReadLight

Are there any other authors who write this kind of story?
Tried at one point back in high school days.
Based it on my own experience.
Realized that it sucked.
Stopped.
And never looked back.

I now write about video games.

BlackKnightX

Have you read my story or just the synopsis? I mean because some of what you pointed out is already in the story, fyi
Also my story despite being romance and school setting, attack on titan highly influence it, so yeah some stuff in my story resembles aot writing
Just the synopsis. It's good that you already have some of the things I've mentioned, but my points still stand. Why don't you try changing the synopsis a bit? Find a way to put those elements out there. People look at the cover, the title, the genres, the tags, and the synopsis before they decide if they should read your story or not, so that's where you should sell all the appeal (hint at them).

If I may suggest some changes again.

The cover is not very appealing. A guy, a girl, and a title. Looks like your typical romance. If the story is about the girl who asks the MC out, why not just put her in the cover alone? This is the first point I made in my last comment. You've gotta sell the waifu appeal.

The genres are good, but you can add a lot more tags. Tags are a good way for people to find your story. Surely you can add more relevant tags. The MC is cunning, alright, but is he handsome? Charismatic? Charming? Ruthless? Kind? Cold? Those are the tags I usually search related to the MC alone.

Also, you might wanna change the title. The Story about Me and the Girl who asked me out sounds like a self-indulgent wish-fulfillment about... well, having a girl asking you out. That's my impression anyway, and it doesn't appeal to me at all. Even if that's only me, what the title really tells you is that the story is about a girl who asks the MC out, and that's it. Nothing else.

Why don't you try something like The Girl Who Asks Me Out Turns Out to be... or something like that? Now, it suggests more conflict. Don't believe me? Look at this: The Girl Who Asks Me Out Turns Out to be My Stepsister? That kind of gives me Domestic Girlfriend vibe. Not really my thing, but it paints a good picture. Or you can focus on the revenge angle.

You don't have to do this exactly, but you get the idea.

Put simply, tell me more about the juicy stuff in the title. Knowing that the girl asks the MC out is not appealing enough. The avid readers and authors might know there is some implicit conflict there, but average readers might not see it.

Last edited:

sm_yesa

Just the synopsis. It's good that you already have some of the things I've mentioned, but my points still stand. Why don't you try changing the synopsis a bit? Find a way to put those elements out there. People look at the cover, the title, the genres, the tags, and the synopsis before they decide if they should read your story or not, so that's where you should sell all the appeal (hint at them).

If I may suggest some changes again.

The cover is not very appealing. A guy, a girl, and a title. Looks like your typical romance. If the story is about the girl who asks the MC out, why not just put her in the cover alone? This is the first point I made in my last comment. You've gotta sell the waifu appeal.

The genres are good, but you can add a lot more tags. Tags are a good way for people to find your story. Surely you can add more relevant tags. The MC is cunning, alright, but is he handsome? Charismatic? Charming? Ruthless? Kind? Cold? Those are the tags I usually search related to the MC alone.

Also, you might wanna change the title. The Story about Me and the Girl who asked me out sounds like a self-indulgent wish-fulfillment about... well, having a girl asking you out. That's my impression anyway, and it doesn't appeal to me at all. Even if that's only me, what the title really tells you is that the story is about a girl who asks the MC out, and that's it. Nothing else.

Why don't you try something like The Girl Who Asks Me Out Turns Out to be... or something like that? Now, it suggests more conflict. Don't believe me? Look at this: The Girl Who Asks Me Out Turns Out to be My Stepsister? That kind of gives me Domestic Girlfriend vibe. Not really my thing, but it paints a good picture. Or you can focus on the revenge angle.

You don't have to do this exactly, but you get the idea.

Put simply, tell me more about the juicy stuff in the title. Knowing that the girl asks the MC out is not appealing enough. The avid readers and authors might know there is some implicit conflict there, but average readers might not see it.
Wow thanks a lot, you're a good guy, I'll keep your advice and implement them but as you can see I'm still learning to draw and I'm currently working on novel cover.
In synopsis I don't know how to create one that would make my story still hidden, because it is a mystery, making the synopsis have the surprise event is not gonna do it. And also the title "the story about me and the girl who asked me out" have a meaning in the story, as you can see, it was not referring to the girl on the first chapter but to the girl who made him today. And because the main story basically will shift to that girl in later chapters. My genre also change in volume two.
It's because it is highly influence by attack on titan. Hehehe.
I'll try changing the title that would suit it more once I came up with something more better

SurfAngel_1031

I stopped reading high school stories after I read the book "13 Reasons Why". It wasn't the content that bothered me, so much as that I just didn't relate to the high school genre anymore. The over reaching drama, which I know is the point, just bothers me now days.