Is the amount of readers supposed to increase when someone drops a story?

Vitou

ok so, this is something I've always wondered and I'm not even entirely sure how to explain it, but it happened to me a few times and now again recently. Reader number went from 81 to 82, user stats are all the same as before, except there's now one more "Dropped" than before. And there's also no one new in Recent Readers. What is this supposed to mean?

Degenerate_Stephen

What if someone just started reading your story, and then immediately realized he didn't want to read it anymore, before marking it as dropped. Does that make sense?

Xcalibur_Xc

Dropped means the readers dropped your story. It got nothing to do with reader numbers.

Zinless

How do I anatomy
What if someone just started reading your story, and then immediately realized he didn't want to read it anymore, before marking it as dropped. Does that make sense?
Dropped means the readers dropped your story. It got nothing to do with reader numbers.
Nope. That ain't it.

Anyone on the user stat list will be counted as readers. (Reading, plan to read, completed, paused, and even dropped.)
1715874864043.png
1715874871551.png

(1423+372+41+82+71 = 1989)

So yeah, if someone dropped your story—by which I mean they place your story into their "dropped" list—it will be counted as a "reader" on the "total readers"

Last edited:

Xcalibur_Xc

A
Nope. That ain't it.

Anyone on the user stat list will be counted as readers. (Reading, plan to read, completed, paused, and even dropped.)
View attachment 28958View attachment 28959

So yeah, if someone dropped your story—by which I mean they place your story into their "dropped" list—it will be counted as a "reader" on the "total readers"
That's what I just said. Dropped has nothing to do with readers numbers. Why quote me lol?

Vitou

Nope. That ain't it.

View attachment 28958View attachment 28959

Ignoring the fact that that doesn't really make sense, the part that confuses me is the fact that I don't see anyone new in the "Recent Readers" section. Do they have to be reading it for a certain amount of time for them to appear there or something?

Cipiteca396

🐉🪽🍂🌑🍀🪶🌺🌈
Ignoring the fact that that doesn't really make sense, the part that confuses me is the fact that I don't see anyone new in the "Recent Readers" section. Do they have to be reading it for a certain amount of time for them to appear there or something?
Might be that 'readers' who drop your story aren't listed for the sake of privacy. If so, it's a feature I wasn't aware of.

As for why that might be the case, let me first ask... Were you planning on going to that 'reader' and asking them (politely, of course) why they dropped your story? :blob_hmm_two:
That's what I just said. Dropped has nothing to do with readers numbers. Why quote me lol?
Dropped DOES have to do with reader numbers. That's why you were quoted.
The reader number goes up when someone adds a story to their dropped list.

Missivist

I think the number of readers is just the number of people who have your story in one of their reading lists. List types include "Reading", "Plan to read", "Completed", "Paused", and "Dropped". So, you would see that statistic if somebody put your story in a "Dropped" list, possibly after reading enough to see that it was not to their taste, even though the tags fit and they liked the cover art.
The reading lists are complicated, and are not always used in a way that supports correct statistics. You may see cases where some readers are shown as "Completed" for a story that is still ongoing. I think they dropped it by moving it to their "Completed" list; maybe they never created a "Dropped" list. On the other hand, I think the total count goes down if a reader just deletes a story from their lists. The reader has to create and use their lists just right for the statistics to work. The statistics otherwise become a bit odd.

Vitou

Might be that 'readers' who drop your story aren't listed for the sake of privacy. If so, it's a feature I wasn't aware of.
nah, I'm pretty sure they've appeared there before. As long as they start reading the story, they should be up there and dropping it doesn't remove them from the recent readers list. So yeah, this is really confusing. The only explanation would be if you need to be looking at the story for a certain amount of time in order to appear there, and this guy just went in, dropped it, and left.
As for why that might be the case, let me first ask... Were you planning on going to that 'reader' and asking them (politely, of course) why they dropped your story? :blob_hmm_two:

Yes.

Zinless

How do I anatomy
People could put your story into their dropped list at any time. Whether they have read their story days ago, just recently, or they didn't read it at all. So the "culprit" could be anyone. On your recent readers list or otherwise.

Don't.

Vitou

People could put your story into their dropped list at any time. Whether they have read their story days ago, just recently, or they didn't read it at all. So the "culprit" could be anyone. On your recent readers list or otherwise.
Doesn't really explain anything. The total amount of readers increased, but there's no one new in "recent readers". If it was someone old, it shouldn't have increased, and if it was new, they should be in recent readers.

Missivist

there's no one new in "recent readers". If it was someone old, it shouldn't have increased, and if it was new, they should be in recent readers.
Logical
The only explanation would be if you need to be looking at the story for a certain amount of time in order to appear there, and this guy just went in, dropped it, and left.
Also logical. I will test this by adding your story directly to my "Dropped" list without even looking at it. Just as a test; no insult intended,

greyliliy

Reader counts include dropped lists.

Someone was probably reading your story in a browser or something--not using the reading list-- and then added it to their Dropped list when they stopped reading.

Zinless

How do I anatomy
Doesn't really explain anything. The total amount of readers increased, but there's no one new in "recent readers". If it was someone old, it shouldn't have increased, and if it was new, they should be in recent readers.
You are way too worried about this; random people will drop your story all the time, you can't please everyone, so at least please those who stayed. Just continue writing as you always had and don't overthink about stuff like this. Otherwise, you'll end up like me with my 7 months of hiatus.

If you need an explanation, I'll try my best to convey how the library/reading list works.

As I said before, just because someone put your story on their dropped list, they won't always appear in "recent readers". The reason being, they can just put it on the list without ever opening a single chapter. And "recent readers" only count people who open a chapter, not your story page.

1716001154100.png

They only need to press this button on your front page and add it to their "dropped" library without ever pressing any of your chapter links. This also applies to other library tags.

But, that doesn't mean they don't read your story. Someone probably read your story a long time ago and decided to drop it after not reading it for a while (meaning they could be buried under new recent readers or could still be on the list.)

Last edited:

Vitou

You are way too worried about this; random people will drop your story all the time, you can't please everyone, so at least please those who stayed. Just continue writing as you always had and don't overthink about stuff like this. Otherwise, you'll end up like me with my 7 months of hiatus.
I am not overly worried about this. This just happened a few times in the past, and I was always confused about it and I've never really gotten a reasonable explanation. Since it happened again recently, I thought I should ask. It's not like I'm trying to find out who did it, I can tell that's impossible now. I was just confused, that's all.
But, that doesn't mean they don't read your story. Someone probably read your story a long time ago and decided to drop it after not reading it for a while (meaning they could be buried under new recent readers or could still be on the list.)
Did you forget the part where the total amount of readers increased by one? Meaning it can't be an old reader.
But since you said someone needs to open a chapter in order to be in recent readers, I guess it must be someone who hates me and just wanted to fuck with me. Makes sense now.
Logical

Also logical. I will test this by adding your story directly to my "Dropped" list without even looking at it. Just as a test; no insult intended,
ok, I appreciate the test, it looks like that's what happened. Can you undo that now?

Zinless

How do I anatomy
Did you forget the part where the total amount of readers increased by one? Meaning it can't be an old reader.
But since you said someone needs to open a chapter in order to be in recent readers, I guess it must be someone who hates me and just wanted to fuck with me. Makes sense now.
Someone could read your story without ever putting it in their library/reading list. You have tons of readers who are not counted as "total readers" due to that, mostly because people are often a bit too lazy to put stuff into their list (despite it being only 2 clicks).

I assume this was from someone who read your story and decided to drop it, never putting it in any of their other reading lists (meaning, it can be an old reader or even a new reader). Of course, it could just be someone who wants to piss you off, but it's not 100% sure.

If you ever have any other questions about the site and how it works, feel free to ask. You could also visit these threads:

or

Last edited: