Is the Word Count Slightly Off For Anyone Else?

LessThanSavory

It's not like it's a big deal or anything, but I noticed today that my word count on Google Docs is ~460 higher than what my story shows here. None of the words are missing as far as I can tell, so I'm not worried something's gone horribly wrong or anything, just kind of wondering if it's a quirk of how words are counted or what.

suzerin_xantanox

It's not like it's a big deal or anything, but I noticed today that my word count on Google Docs is ~460 higher than what my story shows here. None of the words are missing as far as I can tell, so I'm not worried something's gone horribly wrong or anything, just kind of wondering if it's a quirk of how words are counted or what.
I can answer this with 99% certainty it's just how words are counted in Google doc versus other programs

Amok

grblbrbl
i find some programs counts gob-slob one-punch in-out etc. as single words while other as double.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
I know that Wattpad doesn’t count the first word in a sentence

halfBlooming

Yes, I've changed from M. Soft to Gdocs a few weeks since, and I also found Gdocs sometimes has weird words counting. Still don't understand how they do it though. But I usually use other websites if I really need to see mine story's most accurate words count. Too lazy for a M. Soft nowadays.

D

Deleted member 54065

Some sites (including writing sites) count words with hyphens (like art-style, for example) as a single word, while there are those who count this as two words. There's also that time when I noticed some sites not counting ellipsis (...) as word, while MS Word counts a separate ellipsis as a word too.

So yes, it really depends on the rules of the site.

KrisVFX

God of Creation
I've also noticed that after I copy my chapters from google docs to any other websites, words don't paste with the same format.
Especially, the center align...
If anyone has any quick fixes about pasting format as it is, let me know.