I've written a small sex scene and not sure if i need to put a warning over it

BOWIESENSEI

Okay so the last thing i wanna do is get in trouble. So I've written a sex scene, it's not very graphic. It's more written in a way of feeling rather than doing (if you get what i mean) This question probably doesn't belong here but im kinda new. So I'm wondering, does all sexual content need a warning, even if its vague?

Owl

Nervous writer
To be safe, yes, but I'd write a warning like "Mild sexual content ahead in this chapter" at the beginning, maybe?

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
To be safe, yes, but I'd write a warning like "Mild sexual content ahead in this chapter" at the beginning, maybe?
Don't see why that's needed at all, really. Authors and readers get worked up about that a lot I've noticed. Like you don't see professional works always going "careful, there's lewd stuff up ahead!" Right? Why should we? I mean we arent kids. Well. Probably. But hell there isnt a way to verify that and we can't pander to everyone

Usually tags like mature or adult aren't put down until the content requiring that kinda tag is put down anyway.

Now of you at work, tho, then for people like that I say just mark certain chapters as NSFW up top for them if it really bugs you. Still, it's their responsibility, not ours

Pistachio

I think tags and warnings are already enough. I mean, if folks are aware there’s going to be mature/adult content on it then they should be prepared for it regardless if you announced it beforehand.

mrsimple

Writer
Just to be courteous, I'd warn others. It's cool to be looking out for your fellow readers. :blob_shade:

Owl

Nervous writer
Don't see why that's needed at all, really. Authors and readers get worked up about that a lot I've noticed. Like you don't see professional works always going "careful, there's lewd stuff up ahead!" Right? Why should we? I mean we arent kids. Well. Probably. But hell there isnt a way to verify that and we can't pander to everyone

Usually tags like mature or adult aren't put down until the content requiring that kinda tag is put down anyway.

Now of you at work, tho, then for people like that I say just mark certain chapters as NSFW up top for them if it really bugs you. Still, it's their responsibility, not ours
I don't really see a reason to do it unless it's very explicit, tbh, but there are lots of people that complain when theres no warning and considering it isnt hard to put one...

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I don't really see a reason to do it unless it's very explicit, tbh, but there are lots of people that complain when theres no warning and considering it isnt hard to put one...
True. It's not a real effort but seeing the requests and complaints do get to be a bit of an eyesore. All imma say there

Ninetailed_Furball

The content warning you set when you make your series IS the warning though. Yes, it doesn't differentiate sex with sexy things, but if you really think about it, it's not much different.

I'd say as long as it doesn't seem like it came out of nowhere and it was clear that content like that would show up eventually (eg. content warning tag, maybe a mention in the description if it's a lot) and you're fine.

You'll always find people who tell you about warning before certain things happen, or whatever sort of backlash. That's really caused by a dissonance between expectation and reality, and often because the reader had an unrealistic expectation.

Though sometimes that dissonance is what's desired. In that case, you WILL get a lot of backlash, but power to you.