Writing Just for fun, let's talk about message.

BlackKnightX

Does your story have a message? Sometimes it's called theme. But theme isn't a message. The word theme was derived from the Greek word that means "the main subject of bla-bla-bla." So, love can be a subject. So is war or sex or a unicorn's penis (also known formally as dick). And yes, theme can be a message, because a message can be a subject, and in turn makes it legitimate for a subject to be a message, got my drift?

And now, my question is this: does your story have a message? Or a better question: do you think about a message before you write your story? Or an even better question: do you even care, bro?

I ask this question here because this place is full of passionate people who just wanna write whatever the F they wanna write. It's the furthest place from those literary analyses. So it would be fun to hear what you do and don't do and do do and do don't...

Grant me your insight, O wise one~

Rhaps

Xenophobia Incarnate
I do have a message, s reoccuring theme in my story, not sure if my readers are able to pick it up.

Its to embrace yourself, what makes you good and what make you terrible. Don't reject yourself, it will only hurt you in the end.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Does your story have a message? Sometimes it's called theme. But theme isn't a message. The word theme was derived from the Greek word that means "the main subject of bla-bla-bla." So, love can be a subject. So is war or sex or a unicorn's penis (also known formally as dick). And yes, theme can be a message, because a message can be a subject, and in turn makes it legitimate for a subject to be a message, got my drift?

And now, my question is this: does your story have a message? Or a better question: do you think about a message before you write your story? Or an even better question: do you even care, bro?

I ask this question here because this place is full of passionate people who just wanna write whatever the F they wanna write. It's the furthest place from those literary analyses. So it would be fun to hear what you do and don't do and do do and do don't...

Grant me your insight, O wise one~
As of right now? The only message right now is that the character's messages and beliefs, and Stars know that is NOT healthy messages to take away. Eventually... hopefully... maybe?... I'll have a better message that I have planned for it.

At this very moment, the messages are as follows:
To be a hero, as our society would believe it, is to die. And it will be a death ignoble under our law.
Weight of prejudice breaks backs.
Organized religion is not evil.
Central Message: Lies and masks are often far better than the truth, and in a fervent search for the truth, you merely expose the rot underneath, poisoning society.

I did actually plan to have these messages from the very beginning of the novel. I always think of a message, and whether I want to include one or not, before I start writing, even for the most basic of story ideas.

Last edited:

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
A paradise for those in power but a living hell for the powerless. Survival of the fittest sounds like fun when you're the one in power.
Actually it was only hell for the powerless for about a fortnight, when the tyrant was brutally suppressing riots that occurred after he killed off the aristocracy and senate. During the rest of his reign, it was only hell if you dared dissent, if you didn't, your life would be decently good.

J_Chemist

The world isn't gentle. Especially when you're chasing your dreams.

You'll lose friends. You'll lose battles. You'll get kicked in the face a lot. But, through grit and plenty of effort, you can become more than a random rat from some nowhere place.

Jerynboe

Definitely not on purpose. Smut heavily focused around mind control does not lend itself well to teaching moral lessons for whatever reason.
Closest thing to a message I have is that no matter how good your intentions are or how nice you try to be, if you don’t respect other people as individuals and surround yourself with yes-men, you will become a self deluded monster that people will rightfully fear.

EternalSunset0

With many arcs, there's a lot of individual themes per character. Most of which I talk about in the afterword per volume. Some conflicts include "leaving the world as is vs changing it drastically by any means" or the conflict between what makes a person happy vs what adults think is "for the best" for said person.

The series never gets too preachy (I hope) but there's a conflict/theme in almost every volume.

The overarching big plot is basically one of those "the world is awful and unfair, but it's also the reason why we meet people and learn/bond with them, and that experience is better than perfection" things you've seen in anime. A rejection of utopia and a "perfect world" imposed by someone if you will.