Writing LitRPG story starring "bugged save file" villain.

Southdog

Caustic, handle with caution
Had an idea for a LitRPG story while drinking. Consider the Mass Effect series which allowed for your saves to be imported from game-to-game. Decisions you made in ME1 carried over to ME2,. ME2 to ME3, so on, so forth. However, people starting anew in ME2 got the option of watching a comic and making decisions that basically summarized the events and major choices of the forst game.

Consider the ramifications of this in the context of the popular LitRPG genre. Imagine a player getting the next entry in his favorite hyper-simulationist RPG, and his old save file is corrupted on importation to the new game. Daunted, he restarts and just fills out a questionnaire. All is well.

However, that corrupted save file still exists, specifically the character data. Events conspire that dump this character data onto an NPC and bug it right out. This in effect creates two "Player Character"-class entities inside a single player open-world sandbox, instead of one. The "game memory" tells this entity that it is responsible for all kinds of things, but the effects of his actions are nonexistent.

Unfortunately, for our gamer, he picked maximum asshattery on his first playthrough. Thus, the bugged NPC is a reprehensible villain who declares his good counterpart with a suspiciously similar description his nemesis. Violence thus ensues with questions being asked of morality, self-awareness and general intrigue.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Had an idea for a LitRPG story while drinking. Consider the Mass Effect series which allowed for your saves to be imported from game-to-game. Decisions you made in ME1 carried over to ME2,. ME2 to ME3, so on, so forth. However, people starting anew in ME2 got the option of watching a comic and making decisions that basically summarized the events and major choices of the forst game.

Consider the ramifications of this in the context of the popular LitRPG genre. Imagine a player getting the next entry in his favorite hyper-simulationist RPG, and his old save file is corrupted on importation to the new game. Daunted, he restarts and just fills out a questionnaire. All is well.

However, that corrupted save file still exists, specifically the character data. Events conspire that dump this character data onto an NPC and bug it right out. This in effect creates two "Player Character"-class entities inside a single player open-world sandbox, instead of one. The "game memory" tells this entity that it is responsible for all kinds of things, but the effects of his actions are nonexistent.

Unfortunately, for our gamer, he picked maximum asshattery on his first playthrough. Thus, the bugged NPC is a reprehensible villain who declares his good counterpart with a suspiciously similar description his nemesis. Violence thus ensues with questions being asked of morality, self-awareness and general intrigue.

Thoughts?
Do it

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller

Thoughts?
Maximum asshattery for corrupted savefile? Come on, everyone plays goody-two-shoes as the first run (to play the "correct" plotline) and then goes for the asshat run after.

No, your protagonist isn't being chased by a corrupted villain. but a noble paladin with a two-metre stick up his ass. all for the sake of "saving" you from your own evil deeds!

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Maximum asshattery for corrupted savefile? Come on, everyone plays goody-two-shoes as the first run (to play the "correct" plotline) and then goes for the asshat run after.

No, your protagonist isn't being chased by a corrupted villain. but a noble paladin with a two-metre stick up his ass. all for the sake of "saving" you from your own evil deeds!
I don't

rain-090

That would actually be interesting

ModernGold7ne

That fly you can't swat.

Thoughts?
Interesting premise.

Southdog

Caustic, handle with caution

I always go for the evil route first.