Looking for a story with heavy animism vibes.

Graceful_Ghost

I don't have any particular preferences when it comes to the setup or plot progression of a novel. I'm open to various themes, including harem, inhumanely vile elements, or a focus on unconventional beliefs. However, I am particularly interested in reading a 'web' novel that delves into a protagonist's journey in an animism environment, where the protagonist lives within this setting. It doesn't have to be the central focus, but I am interested reading stories about how the natural surroundings influence the plot progression, whether they hinder, support, or change the protagonist's journey.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading 'Unquenchable Fire', the 'Winternight trilogy', and 'The Amaranthine Saga'. I highly recommend them if you're looking for similar themes. Additionally, I'm open to anime, manga, manhwa, manhua, comic, and toon recommendations, although I have already seen many, especially those from Studio Ghibli, and popular mangas.
Thank you!

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
I can only think of Nowhere Star where magical creatures are avatars of certain memes that influence their vicinity (somewhat) as memes do but in a genetic sense

Graceful_Ghost

I can only think of Nowhere Star where magical creatures are avatars of certain memes that influence their vicinity (somewhat) as memes do but in a genetic sense
Read upto 3 chapter. Auto-bookmarked! Wonderful suggestion! Loving it so far! Thanks! (⁠っ⁠.⁠❛⁠ ⁠ᴗ⁠ ⁠❛⁠.⁠)⁠っ(⁠っ⁠.⁠❛⁠ ⁠ᴗ⁠ ⁠❛⁠.⁠)⁠っ(⁠つ⁠✧⁠ω⁠✧⁠)⁠つ

dummycake

Already daydreamed about this interaction
there's a Chinese Marvel fanfic where the MC is a druid but the pollution of Earth doesn't make him as strong as he could be, so he studied to become a biologist and started a big nonprofit in New York
there's a bit of politics too, with politicians helping/hindering him for their own interests, it's really interesting and there's more deep in that part than you would expect

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
It would help if you defined what this term means to you.

Going by the google definition,
1. the attribution of a soul to plants, inanimate objects, and natural phenomena.
2. the belief in a supernatural power that organizes and animates the material universe.
my setting qualifies, but I'm not sure my story does. It's on indefinite hiatus anyways, so I wouldn't recommend reading it.

If you're just looking for Druid stuff, I can mostly recommend Hunting and Herbalism. Possibly Ryn of Avonside. Maybe The Dryad. I know there's a lot more, but I can't find them at the moment.

So_Indecisive

Primordial sin of Sloth
there's a Chinese Marvel fanfic where the MC is a druid but the pollution of Earth doesn't make him as strong as he could be, so he studied to become a biologist and started a big nonprofit in New York
there's a bit of politics too, with politicians helping/hindering him for their own interests, it's really interesting and there's more deep in that part than you would expect
Sauce

fluffypie374

Does animalism literally mean nonhuman protagonist evolving or does it mean animal kingdom plot (closer to Tarzan) or does animalism also include human society with law of jungle (like demonic sect or apocalyptic setting) or does animalism mean the very nature of humans in their journey to expand their population like animals (ahem ahem)? :blob_sir:

NIXEXS

Bro Sauce? Or maybe hints to that sauce?

Graceful_Ghost

Does animalism literally mean nonhuman protagonist evolving or does it mean animal kingdom plot (closer to Tarzan) or does animalism also include human society with law of jungle (like demonic sect or apocalyptic setting) or does animalism mean the very nature of humans in their journey to expand their population like animals (ahem ahem)? :blob_sir:

Animalism is different from animism.
Animism is a belief system that attributes spiritual or supernatural qualities to animals, plants, and other natural elements. But in the context of stories and novels, animism can refer to a narrative that explores the relationship between humans and the natural world(usually the case), where the natural surroundings are portrayed as having consciousness, character/personality, or a spiritual presence.

In an animism-based story, the protagonist's journey often involves interacting with and navigating the intricacies of the natural environment. The natural surroundings can play a significant role in shaping the plot and character development. They may hinder the protagonist's progress, present challenges to overcome, or provide support and guidance along their journey.

Well, the ones that I find interesting the most are the environment-focused, rather than as a character. Environment that is more or less alive, could see, hear, and probably act. Well, objects that comes to alive is another form of animism and I won't deny that.
Examples would be My Neighborhood Totoro, Howl's moving castle, Toy's story, Pocahontas, and Avatar
In "My Neighbor Totoro," the forest spirits are depicted as friendly and benevolent creatures that interact with the human characters. In "Howl's Moving Castle," the castle itself is portrayed as a living entity with its own personality. In "Toy Story," the toys come to life when humans are not around. In "Pocahontas," nature is personified through the character of Grandmother Willow. And in "Avatar," the Na'vi people have a deep spiritual connection with their natural environment, treating it with reverence and respect.
In the examples given, I am leaning on reading Howl's moving castle (as an environment) and Avatar (as to how people continue living in said environment), but that's only a preference, I still read whatever recommendations you give.
or does animalism also include human society with law of jungle (like demonic sect or apocalyptic setting)
Kinda, but the society is shaped around the animism environment; societies create rules based on the things they are currently living. One of the examples, I can probably give is, Arknights' Sami Society(also the main reason why I'm trying to find other stories with animism. it's a game but I'll include it anyways, aha). There are many rules that foreigners always to put in mind while exploring, otherwise the environment just kills you(Ori and the blind forest or ori and the will or wisp).

Last edited:

fluffypie374

Oh, so like Beauty and the Beast objects... I don't really think any of these matches, but just gonna throw it out there. What if... am I right?

Does the spirits in Spirited Away count (or maybe the House of Horrors with spirits possessing objects)?

Or like the creatures in Narnia (but that's more fantasy right?)?

What about the characters of a book? Does it apply there? Like if protagonist enters book, or if the story comes to life like in Inkheart?

Or something more geared off mystery, such as SCP series (and all of its fanfiction, etc.)?

Or Doomsday: I Have One More Keyword Than Others (MTL novel), episodic, but each one is kinda based on rules (keyword) and trying to survive? Not so much environment-related though, more on quirky rules...

Does No Game no Life count? Lots of rules but... not so much animism, or at least what I think I understood it meant...

Games with simple rules like Little Nightmares? Er... maybe this one's just a typical horror game that tries to kill you...

Or literally focused on human vs forest, such as Princess Mononoke (old stuff of human vs forest god?)

Okay, sorry for the bad recommendations. :blob_hide:

Graceful_Ghost

Oh, so like Beauty and the Beast objects... I don't really think any of these matches, but just gonna throw it out there. What if... am I right?

Does the spirits in Spirited Away count (or maybe the House of Horrors with spirits possessing objects)?

Or like the creatures in Narnia (but that's more fantasy right?)?

What about the characters of a book? Does it apply there? Like if protagonist enters book, or if the story comes to life like in Inkheart?

Or something more geared off mystery, such as SCP series (and all of its fanfiction, etc.)?

Or Doomsday: I Have One More Keyword Than Others (MTL novel), episodic, but each one is kinda based on rules (keyword) and trying to survive? Not so much environment-related though, more on quirky rules...

Does No Game no Life count? Lots of rules but... not so much animism, or at least what I think I understood it meant...

Games with simple rules like Little Nightmares? Er... maybe this one's just a typical horror game that tries to kill you...

Or literally focused on human vs forest, such as Princess Mononoke (old stuff of human vs forest god?)

Okay, sorry for the bad recommendations. :blob_hide:
Yep, you are correct with the beauty and the beast, and other examples.
Beauty and the Beast, Inkheart, and Narnia all contain elements of animism, but compared to films like Spirited Away, Spirited Away heavily leans on the animism spectrum.
No Game No Life focuses more on the gaming aspect, where most things can be explained through gaming reasoning. I also enjoy SCP, although it is not directly related to spirits or beings, it leans on supernatural~esque. House of Horrors also has supernatural vibes rather than spiritual ones.
Similarly, Little Nightmares, both the first and second games, were very enjoyable for me. While they may not have strong animism vibes, they align more with horror aspects.
Princess Mononoke, which I have already finished, is a film that I also like, but it rather focuses on the relation between human and the environment.
So, while not all of these recommendations may fit the traditional definition of animism, they each explore the concept and elements in their own ways.
though important to note, one of the core aspects of animism(or what makes them animism) is the belief that supernatural phenomena are directly linked to the spiritual reasoning. It’s not just about the presence of spirits in the environment, but also about the beliefs and practices(rituals) of the people who live within it. They often perceive these supernatural elements as manifestations of the spirits or as having spiritual significance, which can deeply influence their culture, traditions, and interactions with the world around them.
In stories that explore animism, this connection can be a driving force for the narrative, shaping the characters’ experiences and the world’s response to their actions.
╰⁠(⁠⸝⁠⸝⁠⸝⁠´⁠꒳⁠`⁠⸝⁠⸝⁠⸝⁠)⁠╯ლ⁠(⁠・⁠﹏⁠・⁠ლ⁠) i like to recommendations, but too bad. I already finished them (⁠~⁠ ̄⁠³⁠ ̄⁠)⁠~

Last edited: