Looking for both feedback and proof readers for "Life and Times of Eleanor"

Kinnikuniverse

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 45782

Hello! First time poster here.

I'm looking for both feed back for my ongoing series "The Life and Times of Eleanor" as well as proofreaders for future episodes to find out what to write, what words to use and how to come up with ways to keep the readers interested.

Thank you to anyone showing interest!

https://www.scribblehub.com/read/279690-the-life-and-times-of-eleanor/chapter/279723/
Thanks for posting the link.
you need to fix some of your grammatical errors. some sentences are overly long.
Try not to capitalize things that don't need to be capitalized.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
Hello! First time poster here.

I'm looking for both feed back for my ongoing series "The Life and Times of Eleanor" as well as proofreaders for future episodes to find out what to write, what words to use and how to come up with ways to keep the readers interested.

Thank you to anyone showing interest!

https://www.scribblehub.com/read/279690-the-life-and-times-of-eleanor/chapter/279723/
I'd be happy to help you, but I don't have much time to spare for now.

If anything, I can look at your synopsis and give you your biggest problems!

D

Deleted member 45782

Your synopsis:
A slice of life series set in 19th century england. Follows the daily life of Eleanor and her family as they work hard to stay afloat and get out of poverty in the West Midlands city of Gravenbirch. Along the way, she will meet many quirky characters and embark on various adventures!

Work on what needs to be capitalized and what doesn't. Also, "follow the daily life of..." maybe this can work, but not too sure about it. Depending how you use it, it doesn't really pull me into the synopsis. You need a sentence hooker. England also needs to be capitalized.

For your chapter(s), I'm just gonna comment on there some of the grammatical errors there.

Motsu

Your synopsis:
A slice of life series set in 19th century england. Follows the daily life of Eleanor and her family as they work hard to stay afloat and get out of poverty in the West Midlands city of Gravenbirch. Along the way, she will meet many quirky characters and embark on various adventures!
SeaHiatus, thanks for bringing the synopsis!

@Kinnikuniverse

The synopsis is pretty cliche on its own accord, maybe just because I've seen too much of the opening statement. It is also pretty short, and plainly boring. There is no way anyone is going to read it just because it said that Eleanor and her family are in trouble or because she will meet many characters with different idiosyncrasies while embarking on different entertaining adventures!

Written things like that just don't cut it.

'A slice-of-life series set in 19th century England. '

> First of all, when you're writing a name (Martha), place (England), and the 'I' personal pronouns - you have to make sure that the beginning of its alphabet is on a letter case - the same as how you wrote the Midlands City of GravenBirch, though I don't know why the C from City is not letter cased.

'Follows the daily life of Elanor'

> This starting word after the opening sentence is clearly a distaste when read, and you shouldn't do this, especially when you know what you're doing. Consider avoiding words that start at the beginning without a pronoun supporting them, but while some others do this - they actually know what they're doing!

Improvised:
'This story follows the daily life of Eleanor and her family as they struggle to persevere the poverty crisis in the West Midlands City of Gravenbirch.'

'Along the way, she will meet many quirky characters and embark on various adventures!'

> Missing Ingredients on Tempting Readers
You have to make your synopsis enticing to the readers' mouths, hooking them in the process, as they become in love with your novel!

For example,

"Along with her endeavour on a journey set-in-stone, she meets the long-lost forgotten myth - a grand pirate - named Blueblanc. Enticed by his sweet words, together, they went on an adventure to find the treasures hidden by the very world they live in. And so thus, as they travel around the world, they will encounter different allies that will support them on their grand journey and foes that will become a hindrance to their way."

Compared this to:
"Along the way, she will meet many quirky characters and embark on various adventures!"

*The readers would gladly choose my example.*

> Comparing Synopsis
Please understand that the improvised synopsis I created has nothing to do with your story! Like the pirate part, I just made them for a good reason.

My Improvised Synopsis of Yours:

"A slice-of-life set in 19th-century England. This story follows the daily life of Eleanor and her family as they struggle to persevere the poverty crisis in the West Midlands City of Gravenbirch. Along with her endeavour on a journey set-in-stone, she meets the long-lost forgotten myth - a grand pirate - named Blueblanc. Enticed by his sweet words, together, they went on an adventure to find the treasures hidden by the very world they live in. And so thus, as they travel around the world, they will encounter different allies that will support them on their grand journey and foes that will become a hindrance to their way."

Your Synopsis:
"A slice of life series set in 19th century england. Follows the daily life of Eleanor and her family as they work hard to stay afloat and get out of poverty in the West Midlands city of Gravenbirch. Along the way, she will meet many quirky characters and embark on various adventures!"

3/10! It is disgusting!!

But don't be discouraged by my very harsh words, they are merely words that tries to strengthen your resolve and if it doesn't, then you're free to give up. A writer is like a warrior, once you've set up on what you want, giving up is not an option. If you ever feel like you can't do it anymore, know that we are here to help you and guide you! You have potential, remember that.

> Grammatical Errors - There are no dire or critical grammatical errors, yet it has em/en dash and pronoun incorrect usages or rather, unused!

> Em dash - An em dash is used to emphasize the thought, to abrupt the dialogue, and indicate a pause in a sentence.
For example,

'I—no, we will defeat you!'

> En dash - An en dash is a mid-sized dash (longer than a hyphen but shorter than an em dash) that is mostly used to show ranges in numbers and dates.
For example,

'19th-century... 2020-2021'

Use them well!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 45782

The synopsis is pretty cliche on its own accord, maybe just because I've seen too much of the opening statement. It is also pretty short, and plainly boring. There is no way anyone is going to read it just because it said that Eleanor and her family are in trouble or because she will meet many characters with different idiosyncrasies while embarking on different entertaining adventures!

Written things like that just don't cut it.

'A slice-of-life series set in 19th century England. '

> First of all, when you're writing a name (Martha), place (England), and the 'I' personal pronouns - you have to make sure that the beginning of its alphabet is on a letter case - the same as how you wrote the Midlands City of GravenBirch, though I don't know why the C from City is not letter cased.

'Follows the daily life of Elanor'

> This starting word after the opening sentence is clearly a distaste when read, and you shouldn't do this, especially when you know what you're doing. Consider avoiding words that start at the beginning without a pronoun supporting them, but while some others do this - they actually know what they're doing!

Improvised:
'This story follows the daily life of Eleanor and her family as they struggle to persevere the poverty crisis in the West Midlands City of Gravenbirch.'

'Along the way, she will meet many quirky characters and embark on various adventures!'

> Missing Ingredients on Tempting Readers
You have to make your synopsis enticing to the readers' mouth, hooking them in the process, as they become in love with your novel!

For example,

"Along with her endeavour on a journey set-in-stone, she met the long lost forgotten myth - a grand pirate - named Blueblanc. Enticed by his sweet words, together, they went on an adventure to find the treasures hidden by the very world they live in. And so thus, as they travel around the world, they will encounter different allies that will support them on their grand journey and foes that will become a hindrance to their way."

Compared this to:
"Along the way, she will meet many quirky characters and embark on various adventures!"

*The readers would gladly choose my example.*

> Comparing Synopsis
Please understand that the improvised synopsis I created has nothing to do with your story! Like the pirate part, I just made them for a good reason.

My Improvised Synopsis of Yours:

"A slice-of-life set in 19th-century England. This story follows the daily life of Eleanor and her family as they struggle to persevere the poverty crisis in the West Midlands City of Gravenbirch. Along with her endeavour on a journey set-in-stone, she met the long lost forgotten myth - a grand pirate - named Blueblanc. Enticed by his sweet words, together, they went on an adventure to find the treasures hidden by the very world they live in. And so thus, as they travel around the world, they will encounter different allies that will support them on their grand journey and foes that will become a hindrance to their way."
"Along with her endeavour on a journey set-in-stone, she met the long lost forgotten myth - a grand pirate - named Blueblanc."
shouldn't it be meets? The beginning of the sentence is in present tense?
Your Synopsis:
"A slice of life series set in 19th century england. Follows the daily life of Eleanor and her family as they work hard to stay afloat and get out of poverty in the West Midlands city of Gravenbirch. Along the way, she will meet many quirky characters and embark on various adventures!"

3/10! It is disgusting!!
Wow this is a pretty in-depth mode :blob_blank:
stares at wall of text

agree on the synopsis is needs serious improvement, but...damn that kinda harsh dude.

anyhow g'luck on your writing @Kinnikuniverse . baby steps first. you're still new, so to more experienced writers, it may be really obvious with the grammar errors, but you'll eventually get there. trust me. i am horrible too haha even thu i've been here on SH since jan. :blob_sweat:

Motsu

"Along with her endeavour on a journey set-in-stone, she met the long lost forgotten myth - a grand pirate - named Blueblanc."
shouldn't it be meets? The beginning of the sentence is in present tense?
Oh, I didn't actually take that into account.

agree on the synopsis is needs serious improvement, but...damn that kinda harsh dude.
Sorry - I just had to do it. May he might forgive me for those harsh words!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 45782

Alright @Kinnikuniverse , I think I'm just gonna point out the first chapter grammar errors in the chapter comment. There's quite a bit so I'm going to stop there for now, since I probably should refocus on some other stuff.

But despite all the things I note, please do know that your story is interesting. It just needs better punctuation.
Please don't give up right away, you did had a good start at the writing. So please don't feel too discouraged from the feedback. I hope it helps you with your writing. Good luck. :)

Kinnikuniverse

Thank you guys. I gotta admit, i didn't really knew what to do or what to write or what words to use when writing my story. I realised that this whole writing thing just isn't for me. I'm not mad at the criticism i got. I think it's fair. I'm just gonna try something else instead, like youtube vids or just writing random bullshit about everything on the internet instead. I dunno, something other than my boring life of working and doing chores.

Anyways, thank you all.

D

Deleted member 45782

Thank you guys. I gotta admit, i didn't really knew what to do or what to write or what words to use when writing my story. I realised that this whole writing thing just isn't for me. I'm not mad at the criticism i got. I think it's fair. I'm just gonna try something else instead, like youtube vids or just writing random bullshit about everything on the internet instead. I dunno, something other than my boring life of working and doing chores.

Anyways, thank you all.
So...are you just doing it to chase a dream of bring famous? You found out you there's too many things to work on in writing so you decide to suddenly switch to YouTube content creating? There are many, millions of YouTube content creators, many are not the million subscribers you see.

Everything takes practice. You won't reach famous and your works (be it youtube content, writing, etc.) won't be an instant hit over night.

You got potential in your story. 2nd ch seems a bit better from just a glance. But you need practice.

Its alright to have dreams. But don't think you'll suddenly land in success by one shot hit. I think there are some on here that believe maybe their work will one day become a really good hit to be adapted into some other media, but some of them are new and still need lot, lot practice before they even reach that route.

Practice.

Motsu

So...are you just doing it to chase a dream of bring famous? You found out you there's too many things to work on in writing so you decide to suddenly switch to YouTube content creating? There are many, millions of YouTube content creators, many are not the million subscribers you see.

Everything takes practice. You won't reach famous and your works (be it youtube content, writing, etc.) won't be an instant hit over night.

You got potential in your story. 2nd ch seems a bit better from just a glance. But you need practice.

Its alright to have dreams. But don't think you'll suddenly land in success by one shot hit. I think there are some on here that velieve maybe their work will one day become a really good hit to be adapted into some other media, but some of them are new and still need lot, lot practice before they even reach that route.

Practice.
That's enough! A lot has spoken for him - telling him not to give up. It's alright, let him walk where he is supposed to and let him eat what he deserves.