Looking for Feedback for motivation: Last Flight of the Evening Wind

TheInsolentOne

Hey, I'm looking for some feedback or constructive criticism and maybe even discussion on my story to help me maintain motivation. Also wether or not I should add Isekai as one of my tags (for more views). I may also add girls love depending on how my next chapter goes, though unsure yet.

Last Flight of the Evening Wind

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Sure! Quid pro quo, you check out the first chapter of my story and put a comment in the comment page (and if you enjoy it, feel free to go farther)?

TheMonotonePuppet

neat so far, will probably keep reading
WHOO! Awesome! Enjoy!
I'll check out your story!
I checked out the first chapter! Fabulous start!

First- Compliments and rightful praise of the enjoyable parts: the prose is great! I really appreciate the descriptors and verbs used for dialogue and action. They conjure a great image for the mind, and are not the ones that are overused either. It really makes me feel in the moment, and I think that is one of the greatest strengths of the story so far. Being able to feel the nausea and the shaking, as well as know the body language the MC and other characters go through, really serve to capture my investment.
I also find the uniqueness of fantasy creatures in space to be a great hook that will likely lead me to reading more of the story.
The rushed format is pulled off quite well, and gives it nice pacing for the action.
As I said in the comment, I absolutely adore the odd digital/anime actions brought into real-life reality, with a reasonable view on it. I want more of that strangeness inhuman-ness. Hopefully there is more and it is focused on too!
Overall, super strong first chapter and throws the reader into the action in a great way, at least to me.

Second- Feedback: "Spaceships just didn’t do that when things worked or they weren’t near a planet." This sentence is kind of awkward in terms of word choice and the obviousness of certain assumptions (for example, readers tend to be like "Duh, of course spaceships make sounds when things don't work"). I, personally, would put this part "Spaceships just didn’t do that when things worked" as one sentence as well. And for the second part of the sentence, maybe it could be rewritten to a thought of the MC in question form, like "Maybe they were near a planet? How could that happen though? Oh [bleep]!" Just suggesting though!
"Zarine shouted, realising her voice wouldn't reach the tiny fairy." Realizing is supposed to have a z, not an s. That's just me being nitpicky though! Also, I would change these to transition better "Zarine shouted, only to realize that her voice wouldn't reach the tiny fairy." Something like that.
"Even Tyna, our resident Space Fairy, was fine but still somehow asleep in a small box on one of the pilot seats." I think this is a separate thought, right? It should be put into italics, since we are changing from 3rd-person to 1st-person for this sentence.
I do want to know more about the ship and the consoles, finding out about the environment as she goes around in a frenzy trying to make sure everyone is saved.

Last edited:

TheInsolentOne

Thanks, I struggled a bunch with that first chapter and writing between 1st and 3rd person perspectives, I think my later chapters do a better job at it though. I wanted the writing to have Zarine's own brand of sass behind it, but I can probably do that more with liberal use of italics and her own inner commentaries.
Also about the spelling mistakes, google docs is kinda dumb about what it catches and what it doesn't, and I've had a few problems with American Spelling vs Canadian.

TheMonotonePuppet

Thanks, I struggled a bunch with that first chapter and writing between 1st and 3rd person perspectives, I think my later chapters do a better job at it though. I wanted the writing to have Zarine's own brand of sass behind it, but I can probably do that more with liberal use of italics and her own inner commentaries.
Also about the spelling mistakes, google docs is kinda dumb about what it catches and what it doesn't, and I've had a few problems with American Spelling vs Canadian.
That's why I use Word! Google docs sucks! Word is at least consistent, even if it doesn't catch everything.
"She’d been approached by the literal rat man while at a bar back on her home station." Minor feedback! I just wanted to mention that normally the phrase is "the rat of a man" rather than "the rat man," so the less awkward choice would be "the literal rat of a man."
Also, I expected you to make an overused reference to cats and rats, but it actually came off as delightfully fresh and witty. And my guy Rex... there is no way you can look like an upstanding citizen in a pimp suit... that, my friend, is a Sisyphean task. LMAO! I enjoyed the characterization of the sleazeball. Came off quite well, and helped differentiate him from the other cast members.

Last edited:

TheInsolentOne

He was so much fun to write. Also I run a pathfinder/starfinder game based on this setting and he hires a 2nd group(the players) to find this one. He's technically fully off screen for that game but his weak willed brother is eventually present.

TheMonotonePuppet

He was so much fun to write. Also I run a pathfinder/starfinder game based on this setting and he hires a 2nd group(the players) to find this one. He's technically fully off screen for that game but his weak willed brother is eventually present.
Ohhh! That's cool! I have never played games that - *sadness* - but that sounds awesome!
Edit: "Finally she slammed it into the ground dazing it before flinging it off into the bushes." This just needs a couple of commas. There are a few missing throughout the story, but that's all!:blobthumbsup:

TheMonotonePuppet

Woot, woot! New character!
"...she grew concerned about the atmosphere;at least until she realized she was breathing normally." Just need a couple press-space.
"The cave was dark except for the light that the pod was giving off,and Rei couldn’t see very far but the walls she could see were some sort of soft black sludge-like substance that the floor also seemed to be made of." Also needs a press-space, a few commas, and the sentence is a wee bit awkward. Though I'm not sure why... Run-on maybe?
"It was perpetual self feeding heat that if left unchecked would continue to grow stronger and stronger..." "It" being the weapon or the plasma ammo? I would presume the plasma ammo, but the subject of the sentence grammatically seems like it could be referring to the weapon itself.
I think the sentences in general seem more awkward this chapter with less gravitas, though that could just be me! I think spacing them out might help, and maybe doing a check through of them; and fix 'em as you go through the check.
Also, Reina feels kind of 1-D: the badass elder sister. More characterization please?
Rot creature sounds cool! Enjoyed its description.

TheInsolentOne

fixing some of the spacing, and the one sentence was definitely a run on.
Gonna fix "It was perpetual self feeding heat" to "Plasma was a perpetual self feeding heat" just to make it more straightforward.
Definitely need more screen time for Rei to flesh her out. She's only got two chapters so far and a reference in Ch6 (being written).

TheMonotonePuppet

fixing some of the spacing, and the one sentence was definitely a run on.
Gonna fix "It was perpetual self feeding heat" to "Plasma was a perpetual self feeding heat" just to make it more straightforward.
Definitely need more screen time for Rei to flesh her out. She's only got two chapters so far and a reference in Ch6 (being written).
Whoo! Awesome!
And if you notice anything odd in my story, just let me know!

Little-Moon

I don't know if it is helpful, not that experienced, but occasionally you have a sentence in-between where you switch from third party narrator to first party narrator.

Something akin to "their house raises from the ashes" to "our house raises from the Ashes" which breaks the otherwise comfy flow of the story a bit.

Pretty excited to read the next chapter :)

TheInsolentOne

Yeah I know I did that a lot, particularily early on. Trying to stamp those out but hard to find them lol.