Looking for feedback to continue or not

D

Deleted member 113259

@ControversialOpinion Doing that will simply end with people saying you are blatantly copying and you should’ve written a fanfic.

I get that one can’t please everyone at once. The main point is I am not looking to set up another original world to just exercise my idea of exploring a what-if scenario. I have a shared universe planned out already, in the middle of writing my second story in it, with plans for more.

Sometimes people just want to write something that needs less preparation. And as I said, I wanted to do a what-if scenario. Not a what-if I write my own what what could’ve happened in said universe if this and this happened and go from there.

I just don’t see the dislike towards that thought process besides everyone’s basic thought of; fanfics are bad because they require less work and planning than an original story.

If your original story is good enough, it will have success even if there are 10:1 fanfics posted along with it. (I mean this in great overall not specifically saying you personally).
I suppose the next question going from there is what's the point? Why even write a story if there's no intention to fully flesh it out eventually? If the reason is that you already have a world built, why wouldn't you just write it as a side story in the setting you've already created? Especially considering it's a shared universe, this very much could be a unique series that runs on your initial idea but relies on what you've already written, instead of information from another author.

I also don't think anyone would think it's blatantly copying considering a "what if Voldemort won" scenario is unrecognizable from Harry Potter.
For example; you're not focusing on a school setting, house-elves, and goblins can be replaced with entirely different species, and quidditch/ magic trains are irrelevant. So it wouldn't be hard to make people think it's its own independent series. It's not exactly like blood cultists are an original concept Rowling invented. Edit To this part: Nevermind, I thought it would be focusing on Voldemort's reign of terror but you are in fact doing a Harry Potter-like story, so I can see why you'd think people would call it a ripoff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Why even write a story if there's no intention to fully flesh it out eventually?
I don't know where this idea came from that I wouldn't fully flesh it out; maybe I did write something that could be misinterpreted. Since making the first post, a few things did change anyway, and I will do my best to write it to the best of my abilities as I already started it.

Edit To this part: Nevermind, I thought it would be focusing on Voldemort's reign of terror but you are in fact doing a Harry Potter-like story, so I can see why you'd think people would call it a ripoff.
Yeah, I guess some people did not really read what I wrote in the first post. I appreciate going over it again, though.

D

Deleted member 113259

I don't know where this idea came from that I wouldn't fully flesh it out; maybe I did write something that could be misinterpreted. Since making the first post, a few things did change anyway, and I will do my best to write it to the best of my abilities as I already started it.

Yeah, I guess some people did not really read what I wrote in the first post. I appreciate going over it again, though.
The weird thing is I did read that entire summary, just not the sample. I somehow missed the one line where you said the mc was an 11-year-old boy going to school for the first time.

Anyway, the not-fleshed-out thing comes from you saying you didn't want to build a world over a what-if scenario, which implies you're not fully committed. If that's changed good for you. I'm not the biggest Harry Potter fan myself, nor am I a fan of fanfics so it goes without saying that I won't be reading it but I'm sure those that give it a chance will enjoy it if you're committed to telling a story.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
@ControversialOpinion yeah that can be misinterpreted, my bad. I meant I don’t want to build a full world up by myself with rules, established lore and backstory. But borrow one.