Looking for Insights? (Closed, Thank you!)

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Kharkov? Kharkiv? Charkov? Charkiv? Tscharkow? Tscharkiw? :blob_cookie: Which is the right one?
I was referring to the deity.

But interesting indeed! It seems I require to revise good ol' IPA again!
To expand, the letter chi (x in Greek) is the same that is used in Chemistry, Chiron, dichotomy, etc. So kh is certainly a strange transliteration.

Alseki.

Laurant Writing Romans.
@Assurbanipal_II

1685366762516.png

Assurbanipal_II

Right one? Right one for what? You lost me way before, I don't understand a thing you or aleksi is saying.
:sweating_profusely: Sorry, this is mostly a translation thing. If you translate or incorporate foreign terms, you must adapt them to the incorporating language and its alphabet. We create thus approximations of the original. These approximations can be more or less faithful because every language has different phonems, which means different vowel and consonant combinations, and pronunciations.

So you easily get different results depending on which language you choose.

Charkov if Russian. Charkiv if Ukrainian.

Charkiw and Charkow if you take the German transliteration. :blob_cookie:
Believe me, I don't either.
I lost it at cyrellic.
:sweating_profusely: And that is my fear, that I lose my readers at times.

Alseki.

Laurant Writing Romans.
:sweating_profusely: Sorry, this is mostly a translation thing. If you translate or incorporate foreign terms, you must adapt them to the incorporating language and its alphabet. We create thus approximations of the original. These approximations can be more or less faithful because every language has different phonems, which means different vowel and consonant combinations, and pronunciations.

Charkov if Russian. Charkiv is Ukrainian.

Charkiw and Charkow if you take German transliteration. :blob_cookie:

*Nods and pretends he understood everything*

1685367449498.png

SailusGebel

Charkov if Russian. Charkiv if Ukrainian.

Charkiw and Charkow if you take German transliteration. :blob_cookie:

I will be honest, I didn't understand a single thing. It's not on you, it's on me. Are you talking about city, or what? What is Charkov?

Assurbanipal_II

I will be honest, I didn't understand a single thing. It's not on you, it's on me. Are you talking about city, or what? What is Charkov?
:blob_neutral: It is a city ... In eastern Ukraine ... I honestly expected you to know it ... *takes notes*

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
I would like to accept your offer and steal your precious time. :blob_evil_two: