Recommendations looking for something interesting to read...

Mitsuha

I like how we are struggling to reply to you lmfao.

You should probably tell us what type of novels you like to read so we get the idea.

I'd like to shamelessly suggest my story: The Odyssey of Dalis if you wish for character development for most of the characters that revolve around the protagonist (being a story that is heavily focused on that). But unfortunately, it is quite tropey despite having a very serious overarching plot (since it very comedy focused early) and thus has a lot of the stuff you don't wish to have >_<.

Thus, I will suggest Koto's Story: The 7th Demon Lord
I haven't read much of it, but I know he's put a lot of effort into its making. :blob_uwu:
I think his story fits all the stuff you want except the part about having a partner at the end.
Well... Akuyaku Tensei Dakedo Doushite Kou Natta in novelupdates, if you want to check my preference. I like reading the character suffer (more suffering is better), strong (or weak to strong) protagonist is preferable, but not those OP ones. When the protagonist get broken/or endure the suffering, that is the most satisfying part for me. The struggle to overcome the problem is just that delicious to read.

Romance is... iffy. If I like it, I continue, but if it is not, I often drop it. Most often because the ML/FL is not that satisfying. For harem, I don't have problem with harem, but I often have problem in their characterization. That's why if it is harem, please, they have lives beyond following MC. They have their own circle of relationship. Don't just make one character arc of their own story with the MC solving their problem, and they follow the MC like a puppy starved for attention. Anyway, partner is not necessary actually. No romance is necessary at all.

For the protagonist is always right/succeed one, it is most glaring in xianxia/xuanhuan novel. Like the first, I like suffering. Not just external suffering inflicted by others' action, but something that gnaw at them continuously. I like when the protagonist cannot overcome their trauma. When they try and fail again and again against that. When they continuously get the problem resolved by deus ex machina, it is when they get boring. That's why I don't like Toycar/Toica series in NU after the early chapter. Give me a believable reason for that luck, and I continue. How often have I read something like the protagonist experiment with the mana, and succeed again and again in their experiment? Why don't they suffer setbacks? Like, at all? There is just a lack of tension.

anyway. Some of what I like is Mother of Learning, and... I don't really have others I can say I like right now?

I would recommend myself, but I dont think my novels fulfil your stringent criteria. :blob_cookie: So good luck on your search for the oasis!
Well... how about just the first post? My second post is more of my preference, but they are not really a must.
Your list, is more strict than any parent looking for best man for marrying her daughter. Perhaps you can lower the flavor
Just the first post, then?

Moctemma

Learning about this writing stuff
Have you read "Do you think someone like you can defeat the demon king?"

Mitsuha

It's doomed. Only two things you can say you like. And one of them is Mother of Learning.

Uhh maybe this? https://www.novelupdates.com/series/monster-no-goshujin-sama/

I quite like this one.
Well... if it is novel that is available on the net. I didn't really read novel beyond my country's local novel when it came to physical book, and saying Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings is just... most of us knows about them, anyway.

Of course I like and read novels outside of those two. But those two gives me lasting impression in the web novel scene, that I bothered to reread it multiple times. Hmm... if it is novel that I reread, I have a few more, I think. Tensei Shitara Ken Deshita/I was a sword when I reincarnated for one. For CN novel, My house of horrors was fun to read. KR novel... I like most of the showbiz genre (outside of those yaoi ones, because I haven't read anything tagged yaoi/boy's love), but I can't say I have any that gives me impression on the scale of Akuyaku Tensei.

Fuyutsuki_Kaori

Good day! I am not too sure if it will fill your request. but I would like to recommend my own stories (shameless, I know.)

1. Kings of the Midnight Congregations: 8 Kings Arc Volume 1: Dragons of the East (completed)
2. Kings of the Midnight Congregations: 8 Kings Arc Volume 2: The White Tigres, the Brilliant Tortoise and the Lost Princesses (completed)

both completed works, and not getting any love. you are welcome to critique it to your hearts content, a one star is also welcomed.

Thank you and have a nice read.

Last edited:

skillet

a frying pan
this is late, but if you're looking for straight plot with a side of romance, I'd like to recommend Fantasia! Somebody else recommended it to me before for clean romance so give it a try :)

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/15439/fantasia/

also, sorta shameless but in case you ever want to give it a try: I have a novel here called They Were All Nobles which is within the realms of reincarnated otome game kind of genre, but it fits most of your criteria in your first post perhaps except for the part about character growth and struggle. It did sound like you're looking for rather seinen stuff (e.g. male protags and adventuring or whatnot), but I daresay it might be interesting as a sort of poking-fun-at-isekai kind of way. It's also (kind of ironically) not centered on romance. Worth a try (says the author, lol) :)

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/84249/they-were-all-nobles/

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
I may have a series that fits your criteria, but the thing is, I only have it vaguely planned out since I’m currently writing a novel that doesn’t fit your criteria (it’s Boys Love). I can still reveal to you a tidbit as a way to shamelessly advertise it before I publish it, which will be some time in the near future:

Zen is a twenty-five year old man who has lost everything. Everything.

He was born with a very useless ability: the ability to control fragile, transparent strings. Seriously, Zen can’t even choke or trip anyone with it. Thus, his Family ostracized him, as they do to all weak members.

When his scheme to humiliate a certain someone from one of the Great Families fails, Zen is disowned by his Family. As payback for scheming against their person, Zen was tortured, crippled, and left to hopelessly roam the streets of the city.

Even then, his bad luck continues to plague him: He was constantly scammed and bullied by his fellow homeless wanderers.

At the end of all his lines, Zen finally falls prey to one of the greatest scammers in the city. In exchange for the power to take revenge, Zen trades away ten years of his life.

With his new-found powers, Zen takes revenge on the homeless bums who bullied him. Finally! Good luck is on my side, he thought.

However, he rejoiced too soon. His body suddenly falls to the cold, concrete ground. Zen could feel himself dying. How...? He thought bitterly, My luck is so fucking bad... I can’t even live to be 35? Curse you, fate!

Samuel Dockes stared down at the body of the man struggling to live even on his dying breath.

“You and I... are similar. We have been forsaken by the Families. But whereas I chose to give up, you choose to live.
Very well, I will give you a second chance.”

When Zen opens his eyes, he realizes he has returned to the incident 10 years ago—the incident before everything turned worse.

Follow Zen on his journey, filled with tons of bad luck, as he forms his Family and takes revenge against the Families who once brought him down to his lowest—all while knowing he won’t live to pass the age of 35.

Tags: Mystery, Action, Fantasy, Romance, Adopted Family Members, Family, Revenge
*MC: Becomes overpowered, but mainly chooses to lay low for the most part. Also, his biggest hater is his bad luck.
*NO HAREM. MC sticks with one girl. She’d rip off his balls if he brings home another girl.
*FANTASY: No mythical creatures or magic. People are just born with different abilities.
*NOTE: I may change some things as I continue planning out my story. But this is the general premise.

If you want to check out a sneak peek of Zen, hehehe, he will appear in Chapter 6 of my current series, To Love A Moura, since they share the same universe.

YES. I AM SHAMELESSLY ADVERTISING A BL STORY AND ANOTHER NOVEL THAT HAS NOT YET EXISTED.
Pretty sure he said no BL. Straight sexual orientation kinda negates this whole thing you got posted here.

DDTStudios

Heir de Winter. I am the author. There is no Harem, No Sex, No OP protagonist, No Isekai, No truck-kun. Weak to strong. MC is not OP!!

CautiousTitan

Tentacle, Merchant, and Telekinesis Expert
Gonna be honest. That list of novels is close to non-existent

zaetheiu

Have you tried this novel?

Story so far is good. If you like it you might like Trash of the counts family translated by wuxiaworld. Enjoy.