Mc gender

Which gender do you prefer for the main character (MC)?

• Male

Votes: 17 27.0%
  • Female

Votes: 20 31.7%
  • Gender Bender Female

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Gender Bender Male

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • I don't care

Votes: 22 34.9%

• Total voters

Peter3135566

debating betwheen prefering a mc that freely changes gender, a mc that is both, or a mc whos gender is YES.

in questions of what one of several or how much is enough, the anser tends to be YES.

ACertainPassingUser

If a male is sumonned to medieval-like fantasy dnd otherworld with OverPowered ability, force-genderbend the male to be female to prevent them building up generation of Harem kids.

If a female is sumonned to fantasy and otherworld with no OverPowered ability, not being born as Noble, no Plot armor, and no Fated ML encounter, then give them choice to be born as male. The male-female inequality of medieval-like dnd otherworld is insanely harsh, female discirimination is the norm, female respect is nearly non-existent, and opportunity is always closed because "you're just female" Culture mentality.

Last edited:

Daitengu

I've read 3/4 of the types listed. The only reason it ain't 4/4 is because female to male gb is very rare.

I really don't care so long as the story is good. Cause unless there's smut, it really doesn't matter to me. Hell I even read futa, rock, slime, and Eldritch tentacle being.

I skip stubs, drama, harem, xianxia, wuxia, grimdark, slavery, villain lead, tragedy, torture, furry, anthro, ntr, and rape. And smut is a minus but not a always skip, because that requires a mood. That's like 3/4th of the novels here and on RRL.

LilRora

Mostly formless
Frankly, I say female but it's all because of social and cultural baggage, as well as the common tropes and cliches, not the gender itself.

I've nothing inherently against either, but I noticed that I empathize with female characters much more often than with male characters, as well as find them generally more likeable. There are of course many exceptions to that, but I've walked into multiple landmines already searching through male protagonists and I'm not that keen on searching for more.

Jemini

I'm in the "I don't care" camp primarily. However, I do have to add a note about MTF genderbenders. If there is any smut of the "hard-core" variety at all, smut + MTF gender bender are the single worst combination in existence. I absolutely loathe it with great intensity.

MTF genderbenders that actually explore male and female roles in a non-sexual way, or if they cross into some soft stuff (max threshold is the level that Ranma 1/2 went to) for the purpose of facilitating this exploration of the gender roles, then it can actually be VERY very good. But, way too many writers these days tend to just do it for the smut, and that's gag inducing. I don't want to read about your auto-gynophilia fetish.

Even if you don't want to explore gender roles, just don't put smut in there. It can still be good if you just want a female character but you say they were a male in their previous life.

As for FTM genderbenders, well... those are always bad. Smut or gender-role exploration, they always turn out bad. I think the main reason for this is that our society really is very in touch with what male gender roles actually are. There has been a lot of exploration about female gender roles, but whenever someone SAYS they want to "explore" male gender-roles, it always winds up heavily steeped in feminist propaganda messages of male-bashing of the worst kind. Interestingly, there's much better exploration of male gender-roles in MTF genderbender stories. I've not really seen any FTM genderbender stories other than pure 100% smut, but even then it makes me cringe to think about what would be done outside of it.

I guess it could be interesting if someone actually was quite honest with the exploration of male gender roles, but even if that was done I don't see it being very successful. A very honest FTM genderbender story would likely just look no different from a teen male coming-of-age story.

-------------

EDIT: Actually, that's an interesting hypothesis on male Vs. female gender roles and why they are and are not interesting in writing. If you think about it from the coming-of-age angle, if you think about the teen years of either gender, female coming-of-age has a lot of turbulent emotions, and male coming-of-age has a lot to do with learning how to treat girls right and navigating around the turbulent emotions of girls. In other words, the girls are the center of the story. When it's viewed that way, it really is no wonder the exploration of gender roles is always more compelling from the female perspective.

Of course, that's just my thoughts on the matter. People are free to disagree and offer an alternative hypothesis.

TotallyHuman

But, way too many writers these days tend to just do it for the smut, and that's gag inducing. I don't want to read about your auto-gynophilia fetish.
...so, don't? Nobody's forcing you

Simple_Russian_Boi

Maybe an alcoholic | Occasionally a cat
As long as I can care for what happens to the MC, I don't care about their gender. The same goes for the BBEG.

Hasu_Riri

Whether the lead's a dude or a dudette, I'm kind of leaning toward the dudettes. Just got a soft spot for 'em, you know?

Lodur

Eight virgin
I've read 3/4 of the types listed. The only reason it ain't 4/4 is because female to male gb is very rare.
The only one I can remember with decent writing (for my tastes) is A Practical Guide to Sorcery by Azalea Ellis. Still, it's not the permanent GB, just convenient disguise, forced by circumstances. Any other recommendations? (I'm mostly interested with psychological side, coping with situation, when GB is forced on character.)