MC69's Recommendations / Reviews

MatchaChocolate69

What happens when the mirror breaks?
I want to share my opinions on what I watch, read, listen to, and play.
I've decided to become that critic everyone loves to hate.

This is the typical path taken by failed writers: becoming critics.
But the reviews of failed artists are pompous, long, in which they have to show why they feel better than someone who has actually done something.

And they bore me. Don't expect those endless rants from a literary café intellectual, no no.
I want to be a ninja-style critic: fast, deadly, and straight to the point.
No frills, no beating around the bush, because in the world of reviews/recommendations, less is more.
And as for the ratings? Ah, let's forget the old systems with numbers, percentages, letters, grades... increasingly precise to the hundredth, because obviously there's a difference between 87/100 and 85/100, right?

We're going semi-binary. A bit more of Smash or Pass, like it or not, a very simple rating system.

Here's my scale:

- Three stars: "Good" - Recommended. Good stuff that will turn your evening around.
- Two stars: "Meh, it's okay" - Recommended but with reservations. It's not the best, but if you have time to kill or know what you're doing it might be worth it.
- One star: "I've lost X hours of my life" - Not recommended. It's not the worst of the worst, but close. Maybe there's one good thing or a redeemable scene. Maybe.
- Zero Stars: "Trash" - Not recommended. No need to explain.

I don't accept review requests, preferring to choose what to review on my own, based on my personal interests.

COPYCAT KILLER

"Copycat Killer" is a Taiwanese crime thriller drama on Netflix.
Set in Taipei during the 1990s, it features a prosecutor attempting to track down a serial killer.
The series is adapted from the 2001 novel "The Copycat" by Japanese author Miyuki Miyabe, which I probably should catch up on to determine if the issues I encountered are with the book or the screenplay.
The plot focuses on a series of gruesome murders that plunge the city into chaos, forcing the prosecutor into a cat-and-mouse game against a dangerous manipulator.

Plus:
+Set in the 90s
+Decently acted
+Good soundtrack
+Interesting idea
+Excellent cinematography, with some very evocative scenes
+Decent villain
+Characters mostly behave in believable ways, except towards the end
+Some noteworthy scenes

Minus:
- The beginning is quite slow and only picks up towards the end
- The final resolution is unconvincing
- Overall slow pacing
- The killers are revealed too early
- The MC has a chance to kill the killer but spares him
- Unsatisfying confrontation between the MC and the antagonist
- Despite attempts, it fails to evoke tears
- MC is likeble, but it's hard to side with him because he's kind of boring
- Forgettable Female Leads. Both of them, although the psychologist is better

⭐⭐
Recommended but with reservations. In the end, it's enjoyable, especially if you have nothing better to do.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Review Review:

I like my reviews full of piss and vinegar. This reviewer seems somewhat level-headed, calm, and reasonable. I was bored from the first line of his review. It's people like this that prove the need to raise the federal minimum rage. How will we ever turn the children of today into the ranting blowhards of tomorrow with pathetic reviewers like this?

Where is the outrage? Where is the HATE?

On a scale of Roger Ebert to Sam Kinison, I rate this reviewer a highly concussed Silence Dogood.

MatchaChocolate69

Review Review:

I like my reviews full of piss and vinegar. This reviewer seems somewhat level-headed, calm, and reasonable. I was bored from the first line of his review. It's people like this that prove the need to raise the federal minimum rage. How will we ever turn the children of today into the ranting blowhards of tomorrow with pathetic reviewers like this?

Where is the outrage? Where is the HATE?

On a scale of Roger Ebert to Sam Kinison, I rate this reviewer a highly concussed Silence Dogood.

The Eldritch God
A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes that tries its best to be gruff, but deep down has a tender heart.
A constant presence on the forum, and a decent writer.

PLUS
+ Eldritch horror
+ Often speaks the truth
+ Sad backstory
+ Interesting personal lore
+ I often agree with his opinions
+ Tsundere

MINUS
- The truth hurts
- The current profile picture doesn't match the lore and nickname
- His posts are too long, and the meaning escapes inattentive readers
- Tax collector (you can't get a worse villain)

⭐⭐⭐
Recommended, the truth hurts but I would always want a friend like this by my side.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Wait, so do we post something like this link https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/74886/tmp1-the-red-marionette and pray that you will criticize it or what? But you explicitly said not that, right?

Or do we respond to the reviews?
Like, crime thriller sounds like a waste of time since it has zero payoff, and the main leads aren’t enough to draw me in. Will not get Netflix to watch.

Or do we make our own reviews?
JJK is the best shonen around today, standing on the shoulders of giants like Bleach and Hunter x Hunter, and improving on the issues of Naruto and Black Clover. It has a complex storyline and generally superior side characters to most other mangas, and the animation of the fight scenes are groundbreaking. 3 Stars

In other words, what is the participation of Scribble Hub meant to be?

MatchaChocolate69

Wait, so do we post something like this link https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/74886/tmp1-the-red-marionette and pray that you will criticize it or what? But you explicitly said not that, right?

Or do we respond to the reviews?
Like, crime thriller sounds like a waste of time since it has zero payoff, and the main leads aren’t enough to draw me in. Will not get Netflix to watch.

Or do we make our own reviews?
JJK is the best shonen around today, standing on the shoulders of giants like Bleach and Hunter x Hunter, and improving on the issues of Naruto and Black Clover. It has a complex storyline and generally superior side characters to most other mangas, and the animation of the fight scenes are groundbreaking. 3 Stars

In other words, what is the participation of Scribble Hub meant to be?
It is my intention to use this thread for my reviews and recommendations, including novels I read here on Scribble Hub.
What do you suggest I do? Don't you think I have the right to write my opinions in a thread? Am I violating any forum rules?
If so, I apologize.
Perhaps I am misinterpreting, but your post seems a bit rude.

Here is my review for you, to show you my goodwill.

THE MONOTONE PUPPET
A Critique Connoisseur or a Jaded Jester?
"The Monotone Puppet" emerges as a paradoxical figure in the realm of reviews, blending sharp insight with a touch of enigmatic skepticism. Renowned for their discerning taste in shonen anime, praising JJK for its innovation while casting a critical eye on mainstream crime thrillers and Netflix's offerings, they navigate the digital world with a mix of candid critiques and selective engagement.

PLUS
+ Unsettling but cool forum persona
+ 50% Charisma
+ Mysterious personal lore, all to be discovered
+ It seems interesting to talk to them together
+ Expert in anime, particularly praising JJK for its excellence.
+ Candid and unapologetic opinions, especially against mainstream content.
+ Questions the participation dynamics in online communities, adding a layer of philosophical inquiry.

MINUS
- 50% Controversy
- They come from RR
- The Enigmatic Engagement: One might find themselves pondering at a crossroads—do we engage in review duels, or bask in the glory of their solitary critiques? The path remains shrouded in mystery, much like the Puppet's own narrative arc.
- Their selective focus might overlook hidden gems outside their preferred genres.
- The ambiguity in how they engage or want others to engage with their critiques creates a sense of mystery.

⭐⭐⭐
Recommended.
Despite potential misses, "The Monotone Puppet" stands out for their unique blend of critique and charisma, making them a fascinating, if sometimes perplexing, voice in the chorus of online opinions.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
It is my intention to use this thread for my reviews and recommendations, including novels I read here on Scribble Hub.
I think my sleep-addled brain just couldn't comprehend a thread with no pathway to participation for the rest of Scribble Hub.:blob_sweat:
What do you suggest I do?
I don't think I was suggesting anything... but I might have been? Uhhh... just keep doing what you are doing!:blobthumbsup::blobthumbsup::sweat_smile:
Don't you think I have the right to write my opinions in a thread?
You totally have the right to!
Am I violating any forum rules?
If so, I apologize.
You aren't! I think you are already aware that you don't need to, but you definitely do not need to apologize!
Perhaps I am misinterpreting, but your post seems a bit rude.
You know... I'm thinking that post was a bit rude too... I wrote it in a rising-tone kind of voice without meaning to. And the later post was rude too, being a gut feeling that did not need to be verbalized. I messed up .:oops::blob_shock: Sorry.😓
Here is my review for you, to show you my goodwill.

THE MONOTONE PUPPET
A Critique Connoisseur or a Jaded Jester?
I like the alliteration....😍 I think what may be more accurate is a Sleepy Stupidhead.:blob_facepalm:
"The Monotone Puppet" emerges as a paradoxical figure in the realm of reviews, blending sharp insight with a touch of enigmatic skepticism. Renowned for their discerning taste in shonen anime, praising JJK for its innovation while casting a critical eye on mainstream crime thrillers and Netflix's offerings, they navigate the digital world with a mix of candid critiques and selective engagement.
Very kind... not quite what I wish to be known as, especially as it was born from a lack... everything really... but I can appreciate the pizzazz and positive spin you put on it. Intentionally or unintentionally, roasting me with kindness.
PLUS
+ Unsettling but cool forum persona
+ 50% Charisma
+ Mysterious personal lore, all to be discovered
+ It seems interesting to talk to them together
:love::love::love::love::love:
+ Expert in anime, particularly praising JJK for its excellence.
+ Candid and unapologetic opinions, especially against mainstream content.
+ Questions the participation dynamics in online communities, adding a layer of philosophical inquiry.
Ok, ok, ok! I get it! GAH! You got me! HAHAHAHA! I really am sorry! Merciless, you are, merciless!
MINUS
- 50% Controversy
Am I that controversial? *chin-stroking* Hmmm...
- They come from RR
LOL!:blob_joy:
- The Enigmatic Engagement: One might find themselves pondering at a crossroads—do we engage in review duels, or bask in the glory of their solitary critiques? The path remains shrouded in mystery, much like the Puppet's own narrative arc.
- Their selective focus might overlook hidden gems outside their preferred genres.
- The ambiguity in how they engage or want others to engage with their critiques creates a sense of mystery.

⭐⭐⭐
Recommended.
Despite potential misses, "The Monotone Puppet" stands out for their unique blend of critique and charisma, making them a fascinating, if sometimes perplexing, voice in the chorus of online opinions.
I believe this was definitely a miss on my part.
My apologies for my rudeness and poor phrasing. I was too befuddled, too blunt, and exercised too little care in managing my digital print while tired and online. Not a stellar show on my part.