Merging prologue and synopsis

Yorth

Swordman
For the longest time, I have been thinking what is the purpose of a synopsis? Of course, the obvious answer is to let the reader know what the story is about and whether it's something they would like to read or not. However, if you think about it, that's really not the most effective way of making the reader interested. If you want to have your friend watch code geass, you wouldn't give him a synopsis. You would tell him "this show has the biggest brain battles you'll ever watch in your life!", or something of the sort.

As a writer, you don't really have that luxury. If you tell people that your story is big brain, most would be off-put by your arrogance and snobbishness. They would think ur just an edgy teen who thinks he is smarter than he actually is and that the story is a cringefest. However, there is a better way of conveying that same meaning, without telling it immediately. Rather than saying "OMG, my story is best mastapeace eva! Your brain will be blown BOAHHH!!!", you could show a moment that perfectly describes that in one or two paragraphs.

My thoughts are still scrambled about the subject and I don't really know in which cases would it work best as compared to a normal synopsis, but I suspect stories with slow starts might be the ones that benefit the most. Tell me your thoughts, I would love to hear them.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
I'm not entirely sure if I understand what you mean. If you mean that you think it would be a good idea to put the prologue of a story where the synopsis is supposed to be, I'd personally disagree. In fact, if I stumbled upon that as a reader, I would immediately click away.
I rather think that authors should just learn to write a decent synopsis instead that has the relevant info but is still interesting to read and is able to sell the key points of the story. And I want to emphasize 'sell' here because that's what it IMO boils down to: The synopsis isn't the same as the story. It's a different type of text which (often) needs a different type of skill set than writing the prologue or first chapter.

Yorth

Swordman
I'm not entirely sure if I understand what you mean. If you mean that you think it would be a good idea to put the prologue of a story where the synopsis is supposed to be, I'd personally disagree. In fact, if I stumbled upon that as a reader, I would immediately click away.
I rather think that authors should just learn to write a decent synopsis instead that has the relevant info but is still interesting to read and is able to sell the key points of the story. And I want to emphasize 'sell' here because that's what it IMO boils down to: The synopsis isn't the same as the story. It's a different type of text which (often) needs a different type of skill set than writing the prologue or first chapter.

I'm not saying that its a simple prologue. Of course, if I just take the start of my story and put it as a synopsis, that's not gonna make you wanna read. However, if I make a poem that talks about my MC, or an excerpt of the lore or anything of the sort, would you still immediately click away?

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/27904/the-nothing-mage The readers of this story didn't, and many more.

My thoughts with this thread are to know exactly how far can you push the hook. Are you really limited to the same old "When MC woke up this fateful day, he didn't plan to be the main course of cannibalistic cultist and rogue eldrich gods...", or can you push it further?

yansusustories

I'm not saying that its a simple prologue. Of course, if I just take the start of my story and put it as a synopsis, that's not gonna make you wanna read. However, if I make a poem that talks about my MC, or an excerpt of the lore or anything of the sort, would you still immediately click away?
Ah, I see now! Yeah, that's something different from what I originally thought you might have meant 😄 I think in that case, it really depends on how it's done and, well, it's also a thing that might be very specific depending on the reader.

Personally, if I only had a poem to go off, I wouldn't be likely to click but it wouldn't be impossible. That would depend on how good I deem it to be and how much I can imagine what the story is about. Like in your example, there is an actual synopsis below the poem that will tell me what I need to know. If I want to, I can skip the poem (which I actually did after the first verses :blob_sweat:) and read the synopsis to know what is on.
If I get presented with some hermetic lines that don't make sense to me ... yeah, no, you'd be lucky if I thought your title/cover was interesting enough for me to check the tags. I don't have that amount of time to read a couple of chapters of everything I stumble upon to decide whether it goes in a direction I'd like.
I think this is the main point for me: As a reader, I want to know from the synopsis whether I might like this novel. Something creative can be nice but then your novel better be something that fits with that synopsis and not a trope-feast in the dullest language possible.
But I do think that you can push further with a synopsis than it's often done right now. I actually think that a lot of them are just carbon-copies of each other that would do well getting a major make-over. IMO you can actually write an interesting synopsis without drifting off into the obscure. Something that strikes the sweet balance between both ends, I'd say.

Yorth

Swordman
@yansusustories My vision blurred. Blood. Blood everywhere. My legs wobble, my head turns as I almost fall to the ground. I latch with my hand to catch anything so as to regain my balance, and there I felt it. The fleshy texture, the dampness, and the smell. I look around and everything I see is but red and white. The red of blood, the white of flesh.

What do you think of a synopsis like this? As you're browsing through the stories, do you think that it would catch your attention?

DaoFox

『Silkmaid』『Queen Sylvia Glasscrest of Arya』
the synopsis is a simplified generalisation of the focus of your story.

It's a chance to tell your reader what to expect in a way that you consider appealing. No matter how you write it, you will never appeal to everyone. There are also many now who just look at the tags and ignore the synopsis as they start to all look alike for similar themes and genre's (some are blatant ripoffs of more popular stories).

my question in return is while your synopsis is necessary, regardless of whether it's simple or complex, long or short... do you really need that prologue?

the biggest overlooked fact of storytelling is that the prologue is part of the content that can be considered "extra" to the story. its purpose is usually to set the scene or scale of the story and perhaps give an intro to the world the story takes place in, or give readers a glimpse of who are to become the important key figures of the tale.

chances are your prologue is just the start of the story and should really only be called "Chapter 1"

yansusustories

@yansusustories My vision blurred. Blood. Blood everywhere. My legs wobble, my head turns as I almost fall to the ground. I latch with my hand to catch anything so as to regain my balance, and there I felt it. The fleshy texture, the dampness, and the smell. I look around and everything I see is but red and white. The red of blood, the white of flesh.

What do you think of a synopsis like this? As you're browsing through the stories, do you think that it would catch your attention?
It might catch my attention in so far that it's different from most. But would I check the story out? No. Not if there isn't anything else in your synopsis because after reading this, I simply have no idea what the actual story is about and that is the crucial point for me. I do not go into a novel without knowing what it's about because, in 99% of the cases, it would be a total waste of my time. Now, it might be different if this was a short story with maybe 5k words at most because the waste of time wouldn't be as huge and the synopsis can be vaguer for me in that case.

Please remember that this is just my personal opinion and I'm even more of a picky reader than I'm a picky eater. And I dislike a lot of food.

Yorth

Swordman
@yansusustories interesting. What if I go from that paragraph to a more general overview. Something like:

As I walked through the road of corpses, I couldn't help but look up. The sky was beautiful. Blue, blue like her eyes that glistered like a thousand sun. Those same eyes with which she looked at me on that fateful day. I grit my teeth and clench my fist at the thought of her.

"Sophie..." I barely manage to whisper. My voice hoarse and my throat sore.

A single tear drops down my cheek as I stand. "I swear- I swear on this life of mine. I will avenge you."

I think with this, there is more purpose to the story. It's clear that it's a tale of revenge

Arexio

Coffee Addict
I think a synopsis can help give readers an expectation of your writing style/a first impression of sorts. A prologue...prologues tend to be outdated nowadays unless you're planning on creating a behemoth of a world like Tolkien or something.

But don't look at me for advice, I put a quote as my synopsis for my last story.

:blob_popcorn:

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
I don't think it's smart to rely on an excerpt kind of synopsis. However, if you are going that route, you need to give more information. There are so many tips online and from those, I could honestly say that your samples of excerpts don't have good 'hooks.' Here's a random tip about a book synopsis, or, most properly called a blurb (thanks @flucket. Was about to mention that.)
  • Reference the genre and central theme
  • Create intrigue around the main conflict
  • Dive right in and introduce your protagonist
  • Keep it short and punchy
  • Reference your book-writing or professional status, if it relates to your book
Here's a good example of an effective excerpt used as a blurb:

“Ann went directly to her grandmother's grave and stooped down to clear away the debris that covered the inscription on the tombstone. She heard a noise behind her that sounded like light footsteps making their way through the dried leaves and twigs... But there was no one there.
It's probably your imagination, she said out loud but, when the sun went behind a cloud, she shivered. Then, she heard the noise again... All of a sudden, a black cat sprang from the woods...

As she turned back toward her grandmother's grave, she noticed a mound of freshly dug earth a few feet away. Curious, she went over and looked down. Her eyes opened wide and her hands flew to her mouth to stifle a scream. There, printed in bold black paint on a large rock were the words, "FUTURE HOME OF ANN KERN."

That gives a bit of intrigue doesn't it? Here's the blurb for said book:

It’s estimated that there are at least twenty to thirty active serial killers in the United States at any given time. There’s one on the loose on the west side of Cincinnati.

It’s the week of Halloween and Ann Kern struggles with several issues. Her primary concern is her marriage which, like her west side neighborhood, is in jeopardy. Her husband is drinking heavily and his behavior toward her is erratic. One minute, he’s the kind, loving man she married and, the next minute, he’s cold and cruel.

Ann dismisses a psychic’s warning that she is in danger. But, when she receives a series of ominous biblical quotes, she grows nervous and suspicious of everyone, including her own husband.

As the bizarre and frightening events unfold, Ann discovers a handmade tombstone marked with her name, pushing her close to the edge. Will she be the Westwood Strangler’s next victim?

At this point, it's a toss-up for the reader. However, both have an effective hook. It makes the reader curious. If anything else, curiosity is a nice enough incentive for someone to at least check out the first chapter.

If you had to go for the excerpt, at least you know the writer is an effective narrator. The reason why excerpt style blurbs might fall flat is that it might make the reader feel discouraged about the author's writing style. Also, an excerpt styled blurb still has to have the characteristics of an effective blurb. Setting, main character(s), plot, hints to an end goal.

Above all, you have to remember that you're essentially 'selling' your book to passers-by. If you can't hook them with your blurb, then you're in trouble.

Last edited:

Scribbler

I don't think it's smart to rely on an excerpt kind of synopsis. However, if you are going that route, you need to give more information. There are so many tips online and from those, I could honestly say that your samples of excerpts don't have good 'hooks.' Here's a random tip about a book synopsis, or, most properly called a blurb (thanks @flucket. Was about to mention that.)
  • Reference the genre and central theme
  • Create intrigue around the main conflict
  • Dive right in and introduce your protagonist
  • Keep it short and punchy
  • Reference your book-writing or professional status, if it relates to your book
Here's a good example of an effective excerpt used as a blurb:

That gives a bit of intrigue doesn't it? Here's the blurb for said book:

At this point, it's a toss for the reader. However, both have an effective hook. It makes the reader curious. If anything else, curiosity is a nice enough incentive for someone to at least check out the first chapter.

If you had to go for the excerpt, at least you know the writer is an effective narrator. The reason why excerpt style blurbs might fall flat is that it might make the reader feel discouraged about the author's writing style. Also, an excerpt styled blurb still has to have the characteristics of an effective blurb. Setting, main character(s), plot, hints to an end goal.

Above all, you have to remember that you're essentially 'selling' your book to passers-by. If you can't hook them with your blurb, then you're in trouble.
Ahem, what do you think of mine?

yansusustories

@yansusustories interesting. What if I go from that paragraph to a more general overview. Something like:

As I walked through the road of corpses, I couldn't help but look up. The sky was beautiful. Blue, blue like her eyes that glistered like a thousand sun. Those same eyes with which she looked at me on that fateful day. I grit my teeth and clench my fist at the thought of her.

"Sophie..." I barely manage to whisper. My voice hoarse and my throat sore.

A single tear drops down my cheek as I stand. "I swear- I swear on this life of mine. I will avenge you."

I think with this, there is more purpose to the story. It's clear that it's a tale of revenge
I do agree that there is a bit more information about the story but overall, I'd still not really be inclined to check. Like, you could say the same in just a sentence or two. It feels unnecessarily complicated without telling me much. On the other hand, I would check the story @flucket described in that synopsis (hypothetically, in practice I don't touch anything with major female characters right now). I think their explanation was pretty spot on in regards to what I think as well.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Your synopsis (or blurb, whatever) really needs to sell your story to me in order to make me read it.

Like... I barely read anything these days, I'm caught up to a few mangas I read weekly/monthly and the rest of the time I'm doing something else, I haven't read a book in like... 1/2 an year or something (Actually, I read the 3 volumes of Digimon Adventure's Novelization a few weeks back, but aside from that, I spent a few months without reading anything.). And that's not because I dislike reading, I just have tons of things I want to do and not enough time to do it all, so my novel reading keeps getting pushed back.

Which makes me pretty darn picky about what I'm reading. I need to be sure your story is talking about something that actively interests me and that I'll have a good chance of enjoying it... If your synopsis doesn't hook me, then I won't bother with reading it at all... And I have a hard time believing an excerpt from your novel will hook me.

Yorth

Swordman
From all the answers that everyone so generously provided, I think I have an idea about why this approach might not work. At least, in my opinion, I think that the readers don't want to be intimate with a character from a story they might not enjoy. They want to make sure that it's a story they're interested in before opening up to the character.

I did some digging of my own and found that there are instances of first-person blurbs. The style of narration is very much different from what I have presented in this thread but it's much more intimate than your average one. Here is an excerpt from the blurb of The Sea of Tranquility

I live in a world without magic or miracles. A place where there are no clairvoyants or shapeshifters, no angels or superhuman boys to save you. A place where people die and music disintegrates and things suck. I am pressed so hard against the earth by the weight of reality that some days I wonder how I am still able to lift my feet to walk.

You should note that the paragraphs that come after are in the third person though, so this might go back to the example of The Nothing Mage, but it's a step forward. If there is anything I learned throughout this life is that you should always, always, learn from the fringe. That doesn't mean that you should run with every wild idea your mind conjures and think that you hold the keys to heaven. It means that you should test it and see what works and what doesn't.

Arexio

Coffee Addict
1600 chapter long exploration of how sexy women's legs are and how big dick the protagonist is
This is so accurate that it has me deceased. :blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl:

1576513646527.png

But yes, blurb is probably a much better term than synopsis in SH's case. Basically a hook², so make it extra catchy~ :blob_reach:

yansusustories

I live in a world without magic or miracles. A place where there are no clairvoyants or shapeshifters, no angels or superhuman boys to save you. A place where people die and music disintegrates and things suck. I am pressed so hard against the earth by the weight of reality that some days I wonder how I am still able to lift my feet to walk.

You should note that the paragraphs that come after are in the third person though, so this might go back to the example of The Nothing Mage, but it's a step forward. If there is anything I learned throughout this life is that you should always, always, learn from the fringe. That doesn't mean that you should run with every wild idea your mind conjures and think that you hold the keys to heaven. It means that you should test it and see what works and what doesn't.
I don't know the novel but very often, the blurb starts off with a quote from the story before the actual synopsis. So I could imagine that this might be such a case? Anyway, this excerpt at least tells something (though not everything I'd want to know) about the world and the character which is the important point for me. And IMO a synopsis totally can be written in first person POV.

I just checked some old YA novels I thought might have been written that way and found one although it was harder than I imagined. It's from a part of the Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa. Funnily enough, this is the third volume of the series. For the two before that, the synopsis was written in third person even though all volumes are in first person.

My name is Meghan Chase.

I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.

This time, there will be no turning back.

I'm personally not a huge fan of that 'My name is ...' style but it's a recurring line from the series so I see where it's coming from. Anyway, by the end of this synopsis, the reader knows about the main character, the world of the series, and the plot. It has nothing to do with whether it's written in first or third person. It only has to do with the information put in there. And I'd argue that, in this case, even without the first line you would know these things. You might not know her name but you'd know something about her (e.g. her backstory in this case since it's a part of a series). I'm sure this would work equally well for the first part of a series. A name could just be replaced with some descriptor which would give information then.