Writing Prompt Morality time

NineHeadHeavenDevouringSerpent

Premise:
Everyone is Equal, some more than others. Those in power are equal to none but themselves. Your Hero or Villain as you see fit will need to upend this unspoken rule of heaven, keeping in mind they themselves would have to wade through this same system to achieve their goal.

Do you believe in Lesser and Greater evil? Is cruelty in the name of peace acceptable?

Come subject your creations to this timeless debate over Good and Evil.

Task:
Write a story about his/her/etc..:s retrospection over the moral dilemma of their actions or plans, needs to be a bit thought provoking at least. No edgy "I want it so I do it" yeah been there, read that and puked enough. Any amount of words, sky is the limit.

Jerynboe

What’s the difference between being nice and being kind? When you are willing to make sacrifices. Nice guys just want to be liked, kind people actually want other people to be better off.

It wasn’t the first time that Erich wondered if he was a terrible person. He certainly wasn’t a good person; world conquest isn’t a game for truly moral people. Neither was stealing people’s free will. The fact that he made sure the people he had in his power were happy made him nice, but the fact that he would enslave them just because it was expedient seemed like a pretty heavy black mark.

The world was safer thanks to him, but he did that to protect himself. Monsters became productive members of society, but it might have been better to kill or imprison them. His enemies were probably worse than him, but could you grade morality on a curve?

The worst part is that he didn’t know if he would have done anything differently if he could start over from the day he got here. He needed power, he needed it quickly, and his best method of getting it was to enslave powerful people. He might have been more efficient. He might have focused more on “bad people.” That was certainly easier to justify, but still arrogant as hell.

He could have been better. He could be better in the future if he tried. But he wasn’t going to, not until he was in a strong enough position where he could afford to be nice. Yeah. He was at least a bad person, probably a coward, and definitely a tyrant. Trying to justify it was pointless. He might make a decent utilitarian argument, he was protecting people and making them happy, but he sure as hell wasn’t deluded enough to think that made any of this ok.

Alfir

The Inventor of Words
There is a story since olden times when a time of strife has all but consumed the elves. It is a tale that begins with revenge when humans rule all of the earth. It is the legend of one mad elven king. With twigs as his crown and dirt as his throne, he ushers in a new era of Elven Glory...

I am Art, just an ordinary elf, and I am just too happy that it stays that way. No prophecy, great adventure, and a too-difficult life waiting for me. I will even go as far as to call myself incompetent.
In my past life, I am just like any other neet— unambitious, lazy, and often falling into daydreaming.

Suddenly, one day, the humans raided my village. They murder, rape, and loot just like every normal brigand in the medievalist era. I sure am not surprised, but I don't like what I am feeling.

These emotions of disgust, self-hate, and a budding desire for revenge slowly ferment in my heart. Then I realize how pointless that desire for revenge is… What can I do? Is this my rebirth? To only suffer a second time worse than the last, if it is fate, what use is this rebirth?

In the wake of ash, I transform.

“From henceforth, I shall declare myself the King of Fae! I am the destined child of a world beyond ours. I am Arthram Fae Zorun. My elf kin, receive me as your King and I shall point you to a path forward!”

My anger towards humanity blossoms into a very interesting lie. I might be weak alone, but not if I am with everyone. The elves are weak for one reason— it is because they lack faith.

I will become that faith.

“Fake it till you make it,” I tell myself as I adorn my head with a crown of twigs, leaves, and dirt.

(What do you think? What we have here is an MC who will lie, kill, and commit evil for the sake of his vision of justice. In his case, vengeance is justice. I wrote a rough draft of it on another platform, and when it comes to morals, he definitely is the most interesting character from my different works. You see, Art has a secret. He is not always an elf. As a human reborn into the flesh of an elf, it is quite interesting to see his choices from the perspective of race. Not species, but race. This makes it challenging for me to write, but interesting nonetheless. Moreover, he has no professional background, just a Neet, making his ascend as the fearsome mad elven king who united all of the elven kind as more than just challenging.

Art will face a lot of moral dilemmas, and the longer he will be doing it, the more proficient he will become in facing them. It doesn't mean his solution to every moral dilemma becomes less difficult. It just means he has become more decisive in making a decision. An example of the moral dilemma he faces is when coming to terms with his methods. Art is the kind of guy who will do anything to achieve his goals. The sickest thing I recall from my drafts he did is branding human babies with elven slavery brand to fake that they have elven blood of at least 6 generations, while at it, using the said babies to morally coerce a human merchant to do his bidding. When I was writing this part, I thought of a sicker method that I could brutalize the said babies by having their ears cut by Art, and brainwash them to become elves. I felt too guilty to do it, and I decided to save such brutality for a future chapter. I was on hiatus for that novel for some time since it lost its spark. I was hoping to return to writing it by rewriting it better so that I can post it in SH.)
Nice guys just want to be liked, kind people actually want other people to be better off.
Ooohh... This hits hard.

Last edited:

Plantorsomething

Premise:
Everyone is Equal, some more than others. Those in power are equal to none but themselves. Your Hero or Villain as you see fit will need to upend this unspoken rule of heaven, keeping in mind they themselves would have to wade through this same system to achieve their goal.

Do you believe in Lesser and Greater evil? Is cruelty in the name of peace acceptable?

Come subject your creations to this timeless debate over Good and Evil.

Task:
Write a story about his/her/etc..:s retrospection over the moral dilemma of their actions or plans, needs to be a bit thought provoking at least. No edgy "I want it so I do it" yeah been there, read that and puked enough. Any amount of words, sky is the limit.
Eh cruelty in the name of peace, can’t think of an irl situation where that logic didn’t just lead to oppression of something. Maybe it did, I just woke up

Succubiome

Rather than retread this subject, I will suggest you peruse my novel that @melodylastname described as "A Very Good Dog Does The Trolley Problem 100 Times".

It is, at a glance, mostly from a perspective of weakness rather than strength, but it includes many perspectives of the strong as well, as well as moments of strength from the weak.

There's also a ton of smut interwoven into the narrative, but it is narratively important smut... mostly.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
“March folks, march!”
Today was the day, the revolution begins today. Thirty years of struggle for this moment. Reforms were useless, each attempt met with a combination of a fireball and a backtracking on policy. Unions were busted, workers beaten, families destroyed. With the help of the exorcists and the binders, we have devised talismans that any person could make and use. With the help of our rifles nothing can stop our way forward.

”Forwards!”
Surprisingly, we met with little resistance, the soldiers sent to confront us broke ranks and let us through.

“Mage spotted, raise your rifles comrades!”
Ah there it was, but I trust in our work. The talisman on my chest was comforting enough. The woman to my left fired her rifle, and then a deafening chorus erupted, and just as soon the mage fell from the sky.

Hasu_Riri

As she gazed upon the "demons" that were laying waste to the village, a chilling realization crept over her. She muttered, "I've been used," her voice laced with a bitter irony as she laughed at the shroud of misinformation that had blinded her.

The so-called knights, the ones she had fought alongside, now slaughtered the villagers with wicked smiles and mocking calls for the demon king. They reveled in their actions, fully aware of the horror they were inflicting. "They are the true demons," she whispered, her faith in those she had considered heroes shattered.

Her eyes fell upon her blade, the very weapon she had dubbed the "evil slayer" after using it to kill countless demons. But now, she saw the truth staining its steel – it was the blood of the innocent that clung to its edge. Her world crumbled around her, leaving her distraught.

It broke her, but from the broken pieces emerged a new self. She erupted into laughter, a manic, unsettling sound. The knights, who had known her as the Hero, watched in shock as she unraveled the truth behind the so-called demon attacks.

"Hero... just call me a murderer," she declared, her smile sending shivers down their spines. The knights believed she endorsed their actions, but in the blink of an eye, their limbs were severed from their bodies.

"Murderer, I like it," she whispered with a cold finality. Their lives ended, and she embarked on a new crusade, one driven by her own twisted sense of justice. She hunted those she deemed unworthy, those who had deceived her.

No longer a Hero, she embraced the title of murderer, wearing it with a perverse pride. Some reviled her, others feared her, but to those she saved, she remained a hero – a hero tainted by her own sense of justice, forever walking the line between savior and executioner.

ShrimpShady

I stare at the garishly bright screen, haggard and hungry, seeking a tender morsel. As my shaking finger hovers above an image of a burger joint, my absent mind wanders to the muffled storm raging outside my bedroom window.

Is this truly the time to order food? The driver will surely be drenched to the bone. Is my hunger which could equally be satiated by instant ramen that takes 5 minutes to prepare really worth more than the comfort and perhaps even health of an innocent driver?

Perhaps not. But at the same time, the driver has no obligation to accept my order. If my desires truly were an inconvenience, the driver could simply ignore it. Perhaps another driver would be more willing, one who enjoys the rain. That is right. I am simply the proposer. I bear no moral responsibility, as the choice lies not in my hand as to whether or not someone gets drenched.

But... do they truly have the choice? Could the economic pressure on these drivers be so harsh that they do not have a choice but to participate? In that sense, I would be complicit in the mechanisms that perpetuate the oppression of these drivers. However, on the other hand, my order will result in financial gain for whichever driver "chooses" to accept it. Does the scale tip towards the good deed of helping a struggling person or does the evil of participating in a capitalistic machine of oppression weigh heavier? In the first place, am I not just another cog in this machine? If everyone is in this cruel prison, then would there not be a shared implicit understanding that self-preservation is the priority? After all, without radical change and a revolution, these systems of oppression will persist and those at the top will feed off the corpses below them. One only has the ability to play ball...

But if everyone accepts that fact, then nothing will change. As someone aware of these inconvenient truths, should I not work towards the ideal future that I envision? Must I play ball?

No. Those who allow the perpetuation of evil are evil themselves. Injustices should not be tolerated. Even before this hulking goliath, I must take up my weapons and prepare for war, even if my fate is to be a nameless and forgotten marty-

Ding

"It's your Uber Eats. Am outside."