My Approach for Creating Unique Fiction

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
This one goes a bit longer than I usually do, but it was what I needed to share what goes on in my head in as concise a way as possible. Besides, eh, I don't really try to optimize for YouTube so much as create the videos I want to make. ...Which, in a way, fits perfectly in with what this episode is about with shadow work.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this one! Especially if you've ever practiced shadow work, used it in your fiction, or ran into an example of it. I could gush and gush about the actual shadow work within Tales of Crestoria. It created some captivating character work. ...In fact, I'm thinking it might be a common thing in the Tales franchise, which is part of why I love it so much and why these are the types of stories that truly stick with me.

Anyway, hope this is of some use to you, whether it's through agreeing with me, disagreeing, or so on. If not, ah well. One of the things shadow work has helped me with is to care less and less about whether or not I succeed at anything external.

And if you want to have a say on my next video, don't forget you can vote in the YouTube community tab.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
This one goes a bit longer than I usually do, but it was what I needed to share what goes on in my head in as concise a way as possible. Besides, eh, I don't really try to optimize for YouTube so much as create the videos I want to make. ...Which, in a way, fits perfectly in with what this episode is about with shadow work.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this one! Especially if you've ever practiced shadow work, used it in your fiction, or ran into an example of it. I could gush and gush about the actual shadow work within Tales of Crestoria. It created some captivating character work. ...In fact, I'm thinking it might be a common thing in the Tales franchise, which is part of why I love it so much and why these are the types of stories that truly stick with me.

Anyway, hope this is of some use to you, whether it's through agreeing with me, disagreeing, or so on. If not, ah well. One of the things shadow work has helped me with is to care less and less about whether or not I succeed at anything external.

And if you want to have a say on my next video, don't forget you can vote in the YouTube community tab.
Just from the initial premise, I find that a lot of writers need to do shadow work. A lot of the terribly bland stuff on this site comes from people utterly failing to dredge up any of their own emotions from their shadow to create characters and scenery that are complex and interesting. Shadow work is something that makes my writing far better than it otherwise would be (I would be trash without it). It is an absolutely all-important part of writing, and for the genres of horror and psychological that I and others work with, it is even more vital to make an actually intriguing work of them.
Those who don't do shadow work, if I'm honest, suck as creators.

rain-090

Just from the initial premise, I find that a lot of writers need to do shadow work. A lot of the terribly bland stuff on this site comes from people utterly failing to dredge up any of their own emotions from their shadow to create characters and scenery that are complex and interesting. Shadow work is something that makes my writing far better than it otherwise would be (I would be trash without it). It is an absolutely all-important part of writing, and for the genres of horror and psychological that I and others work with, it is even more vital to make an actually intriguing work of them.
What is shadowwork? I can't listen to the video at the moment.

TheMonotonePuppet

What is shadowwork? I can't listen to the video at the moment.
Shadow work is essentially introspection that reveals/exposes all facets of your personality, revealing all of the deeper emotions and different perspectives/ugly thoughts, as well as the more morally grey and darker things that you say and do. Then you can press said shadow work into your writing to make your world real. Prevents stuff from being cardboard cutouts.

ManwX

Im from a Timeline where nuclear war destroyed all
Ye. Thanks for the video. I will try to implement the teachings. I started writing again. Ahaha. My previous work that I showed you called journey to Eden prime. Your videoes helped me thanks Marc.

StrongArm

Hmmm, i had never heard of shadow work as a concept, but i was already doing some of it in my work. Other things, i had no idea about. :unsure:

nice video, as always(y)

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
This is something I've thought about myself a lot. ...I mean, it's part of why I made this video and said what I did. :ROFLMAO: I wouldn't say they suck so much as just inexperienced still though. And I can fully understand if someone doesn't want to go this route. As I've thought about it, it leans a bit more to literary fiction techniques than genre/commercial fiction, which, as said, is a valid route to take even if I'm not 100% it.

To note my personal route of preference, I like to walk in between genre and literary fiction. To play with genre conventions and find depth within that. But that's just me.

For those who do want to do their commercial fiction/straightforward idea, that's how I'd recommend going about it. Like, play with the tropes and concepts you like, but do more to inject yourself into it.

Like, for instance, if I ever were to write an Isekai, I'd still inject my interests into it like a delinquent character or ex-yakuza or something who gets sent to another world and sees it as a chance for a fresh start, but stuff from past life does still impact identity and how he goes about things as he's trying to survive. So torn between operating in this new system and trying to survive and maybe thrive, but also doing his best not to fall back into old patterns.

I imagine someone has come up with something like that, but that's part of how I'd do it. This is something I have thought about since I did once consider throwing away my actual passion and voice to write something meant purely to appeal to web fiction audiences so I could make money.

As for why I don't, it deals with stuff I've found in my own shadow work. But that's a whole thing in itself. :ROFLMAO:

Ye. Thanks for the video. I will try to implement the teachings. I started writing again. Ahaha. My previous work that I showed you called journey to Eden prime. Your videoes helped me thanks Marc.
Hmmm, i had never heard of shadow work as a concept, but i was already doing some of it in my work. Other things, i had no idea about. :unsure:

nice video, as always(y)

Happy to deliver! :s_smile: I wish I could've gone more into how to practice it in this one, but... eh, you all saw how long this one already is and it was more about presenting my argument for why people should do it as opposed to how. I feel something on "how" should be a follow-up video in the future, though I'll note there are many paths for it. I might blend examples in fiction with the techniques.

Huh... I just realized, my favorite story of all time, the one that made me truly want to become a writer, has shadow work in it... Like, it's not outright said, but it's 100% what goes on when the protagonist has to be rescued after the 6 month time skip... And the shadow work is literally key to accessing the higher levels of power...

Anyway, as supplement, I want to share a great example of how amazing shadow work in fiction can work, using my love of Tales of Crestoria.. Chapter 8, The Power of Sin, is 3 of the leads forced to do shadow work after a lot of what was built. Misella's example is especially beautiful given that it hits deep at things like why she openly loves Kanata, yet wouldn't progress their relationship. I timestamp the video below right to the moment where it has it in action.

Oh and for those wanting context for what the crimes mentioned in this are, the story's conflict starts because Kanata murdered his father to stop him from selling Misella. His father was the head of their village and took care of the orphanage. Kanata didn't know his dad was a child trafficker and, when he learned and saw his best friend/crush was going to be sold, one thing lead to another and he stabbed his father in a fit of rage. After that, he stayed behind when arrested for the murder and told Misella to get out of there. She left... though only to get what she needed. She gathered up all these flowers that are combustible, evacuated the other orphans, and set the building on fire to get the adults to leave, so she could go in and rescue Kanata. She succeeded, but what she later learned is that one of the orphans went back inside to try and get a toy and they suffocated. At any rate, Misella... well, I'll let the scene when it reveals her shadow spell it out on what she's kept locked inside.

theartofwar901

Me personally in many instances, I don't want complex characters or an utterly realistic story. I was reading a book called War by T. Styles and in one of the scenes, well I won't say what happened, but it was a very disgusting, depressing, and realistic scene. The reason I didn't like it was because often when I read fiction I read it to escape reality. In some instances I want a realistic book so I can learn something new about life I didn't know before, but not in this case. The book was a crime fiction, and I come from an urban inner city crime infested neighborhood growing up. So, when I read a book that's African American crime fiction I don't really read those to face reality or learn anything new. If I read a book like that then it's for action and entertainment purposes. Also as an escape from reality, which is how I wrote my first Crime Fiction book when I wrote it a couple years ago.
So, I think there can be many purposes for writing a book and the characters don't always need to be so complex, and the story doesn't have to always be so based in reality. IT just depends on what your goal is for your audience of for the readers. If I read an african american crime fiction book its strictly for entertainment. I don't want all the depressing rape scenes, weird scenes, and the harsh realities in it. I just want to feel good, and be at the edge of my seat from the suspense and action. Just my opinion, Im sure not everyone agrees, but that's how I see it. Now, if I read a different type of fiction about an environment I'm completely ignorant about, then Id much rather face reality and learn something new. That's just me. Thats how I roll. lol. But what makes a story good is subjective and Im sure not everyone will agree with me. @TheMonotonePuppet
However, if I read a book by Iceberg Slim or Donald Goines, I do kind of like the realism. This is because it's histrorical and based on the past not the present. Much to learn about. Things were different back then, and it requires more details, expmanations, and realism. It's like African American Crime Fiction and Historical Fiction all in one. Just some additional thoughts.

Last edited:

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
Me personally in many instances, I don't want complex characters or an utterly realistic story. I was reading a book called War by T. Styles and in one of the scenes, well I won't say what happened, but it was a very disgusting, depressing, and realistic scene. The reason I didn't like it was because often when I read fiction I read it to escape reality. In some instances I want a realistic book so I can learn something new about life I didn't know before, but not in this case. The book was a crime fiction, and I come from an urban inner city crime infested neighborhood growing up. So, when I read a book that's African American crime fiction I don't really read those to face reality or learn anything new. If I read a book like that then it's for action and entertainment purposes. Also as an escape from reality, which is how I wrote my first Crime Fiction book when I wrote it a couple years ago.
So, I think there can be many purposes for writing a book and the characters don't always need to be so complex, and the story doesn't have to always be so based in reality. IT just depends on what your goal is for your audience of for the readers. If I read an african american crime fiction book its strictly for entertainment. I don't want all the depressing rape scenes, weird scenes, and the harsh realities in it. I just want to feel good, and be at the edge of my seat from the suspense and action. Just my opinion, Im sure not everyone agrees, but that's how I see it. Now, if I read a different type of fiction about an environment I'm completely ignorant about, then Id much rather face reality and learn something new. That's just me. Thats how I roll. lol. But what makes a story good is subjective and Im sure not everyone will agree with me. @TheMonotonePuppet
However, if I read a book by Iceberg Slim or Donald Goines, I do kind of like the realism. This is because it's histrorical and based on the past not the present. Much to learn about. Things were different back then, and it requires more details, expmanations, and realism. It's like African American Crime Fiction and Historical Fiction all in one. Just some additional thoughts.
This is why I feel genre as a concept is so important; it sets clear expectations and all that. Actually, I linked this elsewhere before, but this captures my feelings well on why I say genre should be prioritized first and foremost:

TheMonotonePuppet

LOL!