My idea thread: isekai, dungeon fantasy, martial arts, sports and more

LuceLucky

What it says on the tin, this is a thread where I'll post the general premise of my original novels. Constructive feedback is hella appreciated! None of these are up for adoption, but if they inspire you go ahead and write! I'd appreciate a headsup though, and a link to your work so I can read it too;)

First idea:

Would anyone be interested in a hockey novel? Premise would be:

A figure skater dies and reincarnates in world where shapeshifters exist. Shifters are treated like the mutants from xmen, and are only now being allowed to do things with humans (professional sports, jobs in medical fields, become actors, etc). So MC is a shifter and since he's not allowed to become a figure skater, he tries out hockey. Then it's just a story of his progress as the first/second wolf shifter in the NHL.

Why the shifter thing? I'd like to write the daily struggles a wolf would face in modern society, especially one who's constantly put in the spotlight. Imagine playing a highly aggressive sport and having another wolf as an opponent. What about the full moon? Does a wolf play better during it, or worse because he's focused on NOT shifting out of his human skin.

The law would probably state that shifters have to be drugged during competition (so no 'accidental' shifting occurs, and also to even the playing field since shifters are physically better than humans). Also it'd be nice to write the differing relationships he would have: teammates who are wary of him, others who trust him, shifter opponents who understand him better but with who he can't fraternize with, the media that's either 100% on his side or tearing him to shreds, etc.

The novel would literally be about the Underdog 😆 His struggle from unappreciated bum to a champion of his sport, and someone his community can look up to.

Synopsis:

"A wolf who plays hockey," Drews snorted, crossing his arms over his massive chest, "Now, I've seen everything."

I deliberately let my eyes fall to his throat, something I knew made Humans uncomfortable. Something about predators eyeing a vulnerable part of your body. I might look human, but the beast inside me lurked just beneath my skin, and human instincts picked up on that.

"The way I see it," I began after he started shifting his weight from foot to foot, "I'm a hockey player who happens to be a wolf."

OR: In a world hell-bent on seeing him lose, Romeo Kaiba knows the chances of him making it to the top are low. But never zero. Rebirth. Shapeshifters. Ice. He's got dog teeth and he's gonna use them.

Genres: Urban fantasy (lowkey: shapeshifters only), Sports, Drama

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
Sports aren't exactly my thing, but that doesn't mean I skip all stuff related to it. The premise gives a vibe of struggle, perhaps discrimination or stereotypes, alongside the sports aspect and daily life. And inserting all the possible new variables connected to the MC being a shifter and taking part in sports can lead to many interesting scenes.

Wouldn't be on the top of my list, but definitely going into bookmarks to check some day.

NirShrall

Well, the idea sounds nice enough, but you should think of something that makes the sport more interesting. Add something special that will keep the readers interested to see how the mc is dealing with it.
Not just normal hockey, but maybe something more... brutal? Like an actual fight for life and death. The old Aztecs had some sport like basketball where people actually died because of the brutality of the game :D yay!
You will need a lot of drama and tension to keep most readers interested. The mc will also need a good reason why he wants to do hockey.

It's just my honest answer since I am rather not interested about anything with sports ^^ however, I watched an anime about basketball once and the mc had a good reason to become the best, so I kept watching because I wanted to see how he climbed to the top while crushing the arrogant brats around him ;P