My thoughts about feeling lost because of the perfectionism

TheJudger

So, i was doing the usual, reading some manhwas or novels/og histories, when all of a sudden, popped up on my mind.

I usually am too perfectionst, like, too much, on my own work. Usually i think "wow, now i have to do all the reactions, is there something i'm missing? Is there something that i have to mention of the world? How is the other characters doing in the main time when my MC is working hard?"

And because this, i feel, pretty usually, stuck on my own story, stuck thinking what i have to do to it be better, to the point where i stop writing, stop enjoying, just to think, and then i give up.

And then, i realized. Why i have to do all of this, like NOW? Why i have to see only the things that "lack"? The story is only in the beginning.

So, DON'T BE TOO MUCH perfectionist. I know that its a pretty damn good thing to recognize that you lack of skills, it opens a path where you can be better.

But, when you think you "know" that something is lacking on your story, when its just the beginning, ignore it! You can cover this hole more after the story.

When you are much focused on what you think that is missing, you stop in the mid, you find yourself surrounded with walls, and it will continue until you give up.

So, DON'T GIVE UP, go on your own time. Obviously, don't jump on the reactions, they are important, but you DON'T have to focus too much on this, specially when you are newbie at it and don't have much experience on the dialogue rythm and things like that.

You will catch your own rythm with the time.

And the most important thing, ENJOY THE PROCESS! Your mental health its the most important thing. You have to have fun.

--

I'm sorry for my bad english, but i think that the idea that i wanted to pass, was catched. I'm not personally a good writer, and i procrastinate a lot, but i hope that what i wrote on this topic helps someone.

If you have some tips like that, that is most for the people that is stuck on their own history, please leave bellow. Everyone experience, at least once, this feeling. I'm excited to see what you guys did to surpass this.

LilRora

Mostly formless
I'm fairly certain what you are talking about is what I experienced myself about a month ago. That enlightening moment when you realize that all the little things that were ruining your story in your mind are things that you don't really have to care about.:blob_melt:

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Perfectionism is countered by deadlines and reductionism. Set a deadline so you learn to pace yourself and always ask, what can I remove? Less is more. Brevity is the soul of wit. How to say more with less.

The reader pays you in time. Time you cannot refund. Do not waste their time. Remove everything that is not worth their time.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Perfectionism is countered by deadlines and reductionism. Set a deadline so you learn to pace yourself and always ask, what can I remove? Less is more. Brevity is the soul of wit. How to say more with less.

The reader pays you in time. Time you cannot refund. Do not waste their time. Remove everything that is not worth their time.
yeah chinese authors need to see this. I dont need four fucking paragraphs dedicated solely to describing one bitch's jade tits.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
what can I remove? Less is more. Brevity is the soul of wit. How to say more with less.

This is why I write in a paper notebook first. It helps me get stuff out of my fingers, and I can go back and edit later.

Premier

All your writing is perfect.

If you have to correct some mistakes, you're just making it more perfect.

yeah chinese authors need to see this. I dont need four fucking paragraphs dedicated solely to describing one bitch's jade tits.

Gotta pad that wordcount somehow.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
pad it with sex scenes, then
Long Dong saw her jade-like breasts ... And then they fucked for six chapter. Her eyes were like the demonic divinity of booty flatness... And then they fucked for six chapters.

This really could word, hurry up and get this patented, Cuppers.

MajorKerina

It’s never going to be perfect. The approach to perfection comes from practice. You write you write you write you write you write you write and then for a change you write a little bit more. I have been doing this for almost 30 years straight and I’m not even that old. Most of the stuff from the first 10 years of writing is terrible unless you’re some kind of absolute genius. All you can really do is keep doing it. If you try to make everything you make perfect, then it won’t be… especially for your own standards. Lower the bar. Lower the tension level and just do stuff.