• Yes

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 14 87.5%

• Total voters

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
Hello everyone

In today's program, I present my tips or guide (I hope) on how to write about comedy.

I will start with a very important clarification, as you already know, humor is subjective, it is not the same for everyone.

What makes one person laugh, to another may just cause indifference, or maybe even anger him or her.

That is why it is said that one of the most difficult things to write is comedy because you need to be incredibly creative.

Before jokes or funny sentences, there are a couple of preparations to be made first.

The first thing to keep in mind:

When to use comedy?

The first thing to consider is it a good idea to make a joke, and what is the intention of the joke?

Is the intention to make the reader laugh?

Or to use it as an instrument with another intention?

A character making a joke, which in the process reveals a bit of relevant information makes it easier to remember than an exposition.

Then, it also depends on the overall tone of the story and the moment within the story.

In a day-to-day story, a romance story, or a school plot, readers expect a light and pleasant atmosphere with the characters, and a greater amount of humor is within the tolerable range.

In a serious, dark story, perhaps even a horror story, readers are not likely to be interested in laughter. But it also doesn't mean that one or two can't slip into the story.

Even in a story where humor is recurrent, readers want the characters to take the situations around them seriously.
Even the funniest person in the world would be mostly serious during his mother's funeral or in the middle of a fight with an almost certain death.

And even in the most serious and cruel story possible, if the characters have a moment of rest, it's normal for them to try to improve the atmosphere in some way... Have you ever seen those jokes that soldiers make when they have free time? well, they are people too, and the idea is that your characters are too.

Comedy can also reveal a character's way of thinking depending on how he or she interacts with it. That character doesn't get angry after his friend plays a joke on him? he's probably patient.

That leader of the soldiers makes a joke just before a dangerous battle? he's probably trying to be a good leader and an optimist.

That beautiful girl gets angry after being told something about her mating? short fuse.

Okay, after stating the obvious, I think we can now move on to the real first step to humor.

Preparing the comedy

There are many ways to do funny things, but an important part of it is being interesting as well as the information, or lack of it, that can make the difference between humor.

The secret is to play with Expectations, both those of the characters and those of the readers.

Changing the outcome they expect is what changes something mundane to something comical.

It can be in any way, whether it is something that people know but readers do not or vice versa.

An example of this is the elevator in the series "The Big Bang Theory". Where the characters know what happened with the elevator and how it stopped working, but the readers don't, and the fact that the characters are constantly refusing to tell the truth, or to tell a different story to what happened, is what makes it funny, that lack of information and unresolved curiosity.

Or when in "Tom and Jerry" the cat eagerly prepares to eat his favorite dish, already imagining the tasty flavor of his food, completely unaware that there is a bomb inside about to explode, which the audience can clearly see.

For a story like a novel, my recommendation is to work on a little "Lore" specifically created for the jokes.

It doesn't have to be complex or super extraordinary, but it should arouse curiosity to know more about it, but be consistent with it, Do something that is recurrently mentioned, don't change the story too much, but don't tell the readers about it for anything in the world!

This can do wonders for creating a kind of wink and a nod with readers every time the subject is mentioned, a little nod from the author.

To create a completely random example, " The bite of '87". where the enormous number of times it is mentioned is in itself a joke.

But let's say it's an anecdote told by a family member, and that every time something bad happens, related to bad luck. Every time someone mentions "The bite of '87", a chandelier falls, a car crashes, the gas stove explodes. Eventually, readers will embrace that anecdote even if they don't know what really happened.

So important to humor are its victims, or in this case the characters.

Another important part regarding expectations is that readers have a preconceived idea about how a character might react, and for that to happen they have to know the character at least a little bit.

Characters with quite a strong character are ideal for this, someone grumpy who we know will get angry when that joke that wasn't directed at him hits him.

But it's also fun when these same characters step out of their own norm (as long as it's a big exception!).

Readers will have their expectations sky high if that character known for being grumpy has been laughing all afternoon at a prank he's set up in revenge, whether it fails or succeeds.

Okay, let's say we already have the location and the characters, now we just need the joke, so what to do?

Well, maybe choose what you want to do, what would work best with what you have.

Types of jokes

The Lack of context or how information is given:

Let's start with my favorite, the lack of context, where something unexplained happens, either to the characters or to the readers. As I've explained before, it's a good way to play with the expectations you have about that particular situation, no matter how serious or relaxed the moment may be.

"I got this at a store for jokers while I was doing research"
"Venus H-0-Terminus fireball, Mexican grandma's special recipe, private infernal reserve chili sauce"
"Prohibited on hospital worlds and space stations"
"Comes with a cooler"

"Is it the one with the rumors?"

"The one who made DeMarco the mute talk and pissed off Gandhi?"
"Yes, the same one!"

"Damn, how did you get that?"
"The waiting list for its purchase was supposed to be exclusively for the best warriors of the angels! is mainly used at the Celestial Security Section summer party for pranks."
"I heard one time a guy was researching making a nuclear reactor using that as fuel and was arrested for terrorism"

Puns and double meanings:

I'll be honest with you, English is not my native language, so I'm not good with English and puns, if you haven't noticed already.

So for this section I want to tell you about things a little bit different, the choice of words and when they are used.

The idea is simple, use words or sentences that have special relevance to the context of what happened, play with the double meaning of things and expectations.

I think that in this case it is better to use an example.

The context:

The protagonist, is a spy, 008, who has just taken a high-speed train, by chance he bumps into his brother in one of the seats and they start talking about trivial matters, their children.

But suddenly the protagonist finds himself with a watch bomb, he doesn't want to unleash panic on his brother, so he decides to hide it while he disarms it.

The humor:

In this case, the protagonist is so nervous about the bomb that he keeps talking about the bomb, which his brother doesn't know exists.

After opening the suitcase I see its contents, It is not good. A motherboard, batteries, batteries, stabilizer, timer, wires, lots of gray mass, firing mechanism, and detonator. This shit was a bomb, a military-grade one. I immediately get to work to disassemble.

"What are you doing, arts and crafts?"
"That suitcase doesn't belong to you, put it back."

"No nothing, just taking apart a thing I came across"
"....."
"Tell me more about your daughter Holly."
"Do you plan to introduce her to your mother?"

"Oh well yes, obviously, of course."
"I just didn't imagine I'd be meeting my mother here."
"This whole thing took me by surprise."

"Well, everyone always gets caught by surprise in something."
"The important part is what do you do when you run into it?"
"You don't want things to blow up and get out of control do you?"
"...."
"Tell me, do you have a favorite color? Red or blue? Maybe green?"

"The blue one, but why do you ask?"

"Not for nothing, just creating conversation"

In this case, the fact that the protagonist mentions things that have two meanings: "a normal conversation"/ "defusing a bomb" and the fact that his brother only sees part of what is happening is what makes this conversation, if not funny, at least amusing.

Overkill Exaggeration:

Another pretty good one, the faster and more violent the situation derails the better, instead of putting on the brakes, just accelerate more with unforeseen things.

The absurdity and the joke will come on its own.

shows how a mundane situation ends up not being so because of unforeseen events, or because of the people who handled it.

After learning my lesson about what not to do with these ex-convicts who call themselves family, I decided to try something simpler. A sack race is a simple activity for kids. Surely there's no way to mess something like that up, is there? The idea is simple, you put yourself inside a bag and start running jumping to the finish line. Since not everyone can participate because legs are needed or at least be taller than the sack, I try to combine it with the traffic light game. Levia has her eyes closed and will sing when she finishes counting she will look at the race and no one has to move, otherwise, she will be disqualified, Tifa will help her to see who moves. And Lisa is completely ordered to lie down on the floor and not to move until the activity is finished. There is a certain Korean series that she loves to watch and she wanted to implement an idea from there.

The simple idea turned into tragedy when my sister tripped and threw a pot of dirt into the living room. I'm sure if she had been paid to do that incredible stunt she would never have gotten away with it. The thunder that was heard in the sky afterward was the roar of the Chancla collecting a soul. The sack race did turn out to be a deadly game in the end.

At this point I'd rather play Jumanji, if there's going to be violence at least I'd like to see animals in the middle of it too.

Conflict:

Sometimes a conflict can be eaten depending on how it is conducted, a battle that is fought in an unconventional way, two people with very marked personalities arguing, a battle that is fought in an unconventional way, two people with very marked personalities arguing.

It can also cause extreme situations at times that are not extreme depending on what kind of expectations you may have about what is going on.

"And for the external debt, I will pay with 2 wood units in the next turns"

"Maria, you owe me gold not wood!"
"Pay the damn money! I need the money too"
"My capital will not be able to complete the seaport before winter because of you!"

"Lisa, your kingdom is in an active volcano!
"What do you want ships for? Where will they sail?"

"Maria, if you do not pay half of your debt before next year I am afraid I will have to sanction your kingdom"

"Mom!"
"You can't do this to me!"
"I'm almost done planting my candy trees!"
"Do you know how much I've spent on research and development?"
"What will my inhabitants eat?!"
"I demand a referendum with all the other kingdoms!"

"The Kingdom of the Fox is in favor of sanctions"

"Atlantis is in favor of sanctions"

"Wonderland is in favor of tougher sanctions"

"The Mermaid Kingdom is in favor of tougher sanctions"

"The Hive Mind is in favor of tougher sanctions"

"The Demon kingdom is in favor of tougher sanctions"

"Traitors!"
"Your citizens eat sugar thanks to me!"

"That's good and all"
"But the help in public infrastructure that Union offers is much more appreciated"

"If this continues your kingdom will soon have to declare bankruptcy."
"As the principal mortgage your land will be mine"

The game, unfortunately, did not last long after that, as the candy kingdom decided to nuke their own territory, twice, before handing over a single gold coin to anyone.

Finally, what are some things not to do in comedy?

To close the topic, my only advice when it comes to not making comedy and jokes is to try not to offend anyone.

It is impossible, there will always be someone bitter who with some strange neurological process will find it offensive and will get upset.

Just ignore him, the humor will not be for him, and probably never will be.

Many funny situations are due to someone suffering in some way, it's natural, don't be afraid to say something that you think will upset someone, it will happen anyway even if you try to be the best person in the world.

You can be Jesus 2 on earth, people will still find a way to get upset with you for something. So why complicate your life?

Better to take things with humor right?

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Hello everyone

In today's program, I present my tips or guide (I hope) on how to write about comedy.

I will start with a very important clarification, as you already know, humor is subjective, it is not the same for everyone.

What makes one person laugh, to another may just cause indifference, or maybe even anger him or her.

That is why it is said that one of the most difficult things to write is comedy because you need to be incredibly creative.

Before jokes or funny sentences, there are a couple of preparations to be made first.

The first thing to keep in mind:

When to use comedy?

The first thing to consider is it a good idea to make a joke, and what is the intention of the joke?

Is the intention to make the reader laugh?

Or to use it as an instrument with another intention?

A character making a joke, which in the process reveals a bit of relevant information makes it easier to remember than an exposition.

Then, it also depends on the overall tone of the story and the moment within the story.

In a day-to-day story, a romance story, or a school plot, readers expect a light and pleasant atmosphere with the characters, and a greater amount of humor is within the tolerable range.

In a serious, dark story, perhaps even a horror story, readers are not likely to be interested in laughter. But it also doesn't mean that one or two can't slip into the story.

Even in a story where humor is recurrent, readers want the characters to take the situations around them seriously.
Even the funniest person in the world would be mostly serious during his mother's funeral or in the middle of a fight with an almost certain death.

And even in the most serious and cruel story possible, if the characters have a moment of rest, it's normal for them to try to improve the atmosphere in some way... Have you ever seen those jokes that soldiers make when they have free time? well, they are people too, and the idea is that your characters are too.

Comedy can also reveal a character's way of thinking depending on how he or she interacts with it. That character doesn't get angry after his friend plays a joke on him? he's probably patient.

That leader of the soldiers makes a joke just before a dangerous battle? he's probably trying to be a good leader and an optimist.

That beautiful girl gets angry after being told something about her mating? short fuse.

Okay, after stating the obvious, I think we can now move on to the real first step to humor.

Preparing the comedy

There are many ways to do funny things, but an important part of it is being interesting as well as the information, or lack of it, that can make the difference between humor.

The secret is to play with Expectations, both those of the characters and those of the readers.

Changing the outcome they expect is what changes something mundane to something comical.

It can be in any way, whether it is something that people know but readers do not or vice versa.

An example of this is the elevator in the series "The Big Bang Theory". Where the characters know what happened with the elevator and how it stopped working, but the readers don't, and the fact that the characters are constantly refusing to tell the truth, or to tell a different story to what happened, is what makes it funny, that lack of information and unresolved curiosity.

Or when in "Tom and Jerry" the cat eagerly prepares to eat his favorite dish, already imagining the tasty flavor of his food, completely unaware that there is a bomb inside about to explode, which the audience can clearly see.

For a story like a novel, my recommendation is to work on a little "Lore" specifically created for the jokes.

It doesn't have to be complex or super extraordinary, but it should arouse curiosity to know more about it, but be consistent with it, Do something that is recurrently mentioned, don't change the story too much, but don't tell the readers about it for anything in the world!

This can do wonders for creating a kind of wink and a nod with readers every time the subject is mentioned, a little nod from the author.

To create a completely random example, " The bite of '87". where the enormous number of times it is mentioned is in itself a joke.

But let's say it's an anecdote told by a family member, and that every time something bad happens, related to bad luck. Every time someone mentions "The bite of '87", a chandelier falls, a car crashes, the gas stove explodes. Eventually, readers will embrace that anecdote even if they don't know what really happened.

So important to humor are its victims, or in this case the characters.

Another important part regarding expectations is that readers have a preconceived idea about how a character might react, and for that to happen they have to know the character at least a little bit.

Characters with quite a strong character are ideal for this, someone grumpy who we know will get angry when that joke that wasn't directed at him hits him.

But it's also fun when these same characters step out of their own norm (as long as it's a big exception!).

Readers will have their expectations sky high if that character known for being grumpy has been laughing all afternoon at a prank he's set up in revenge, whether it fails or succeeds.

Okay, let's say we already have the location and the characters, now we just need the joke, so what to do?

Well, maybe choose what you want to do, what would work best with what you have.

Types of jokes

The Lack of context or how information is given:

Let's start with my favorite, the lack of context, where something unexplained happens, either to the characters or to the readers. As I've explained before, it's a good way to play with the expectations you have about that particular situation, no matter how serious or relaxed the moment may be.

"I got this at a store for jokers while I was doing research"
"Venus H-0-Terminus fireball, Mexican grandma's special recipe, private infernal reserve chili sauce"
"Prohibited on hospital worlds and space stations"
"Comes with a cooler"

"Is it the one with the rumors?"

"The one who made DeMarco the mute talk and pissed off Gandhi?"
"Yes, the same one!"

"Damn, how did you get that?"
"The waiting list for its purchase was supposed to be exclusively for the best warriors of the angels! is mainly used at the Celestial Security Section summer party for pranks."
"I heard one time a guy was researching making a nuclear reactor using that as fuel and was arrested for terrorism"

Puns and double meanings:

I'll be honest with you, English is not my native language, so I'm not good with English and puns, if you haven't noticed already.

So for this section I want to tell you about things a little bit different, the choice of words and when they are used.

The idea is simple, use words or sentences that have special relevance to the context of what happened, play with the double meaning of things and expectations.

I think that in this case it is better to use an example.

The context:

The protagonist, is a spy, 008, who has just taken a high-speed train, by chance he bumps into his brother in one of the seats and they start talking about trivial matters, their children.

But suddenly the protagonist finds himself with a watch bomb, he doesn't want to unleash panic on his brother, so he decides to hide it while he disarms it.

The humor:

In this case, the protagonist is so nervous about the bomb that he keeps talking about the bomb, which his brother doesn't know exists.

After opening the suitcase I see its contents, It is not good. A motherboard, batteries, batteries, stabilizer, timer, wires, lots of gray mass, firing mechanism, and detonator. This shit was a bomb, a military-grade one. I immediately get to work to disassemble.

"What are you doing, arts and crafts?"
"That suitcase doesn't belong to you, put it back."

"No nothing, just taking apart a thing I came across"
"....."
"Tell me more about your daughter Holly."
"Do you plan to introduce her to your mother?"

"Oh well yes, obviously, of course."
"I just didn't imagine I'd be meeting my mother here."
"This whole thing took me by surprise."

"Well, everyone always gets caught by surprise in something."
"The important part is what do you do when you run into it?"
"You don't want things to blow up and get out of control do you?"
"...."
"Tell me, do you have a favorite color? Red or blue? Maybe green?"

"The blue one, but why do you ask?"

"Not for nothing, just creating conversation"

In this case, the fact that the protagonist mentions things that have two meanings: "a normal conversation"/ "defusing a bomb" and the fact that his brother only sees part of what is happening is what makes this conversation, if not funny, at least amusing.

Overkill Exaggeration:

Another pretty good one, the faster and more violent the situation derails the better, instead of putting on the brakes, just accelerate more with unforeseen things.

The absurdity and the joke will come on its own.

shows how a mundane situation ends up not being so because of unforeseen events, or because of the people who handled it.

After learning my lesson about what not to do with these ex-convicts who call themselves family, I decided to try something simpler. A sack race is a simple activity for kids. Surely there's no way to mess something like that up, is there? The idea is simple, you put yourself inside a bag and start running jumping to the finish line. Since not everyone can participate because legs are needed or at least be taller than the sack, I try to combine it with the traffic light game. Levia has her eyes closed and will sing when she finishes counting she will look at the race and no one has to move, otherwise, she will be disqualified, Tifa will help her to see who moves. And Lisa is completely ordered to lie down on the floor and not to move until the activity is finished. There is a certain Korean series that she loves to watch and she wanted to implement an idea from there.

The simple idea turned into tragedy when my sister tripped and threw a pot of dirt into the living room. I'm sure if she had been paid to do that incredible stunt she would never have gotten away with it. The thunder that was heard in the sky afterward was the roar of the Chancla collecting a soul. The sack race did turn out to be a deadly game in the end.

At this point I'd rather play Jumanji, if there's going to be violence at least I'd like to see animals in the middle of it too.

Conflict:

Sometimes a conflict can be eaten depending on how it is conducted, a battle that is fought in an unconventional way, two people with very marked personalities arguing, a battle that is fought in an unconventional way, two people with very marked personalities arguing.

It can also cause extreme situations at times that are not extreme depending on what kind of expectations you may have about what is going on.

"And for the external debt, I will pay with 2 wood units in the next turns"

"Maria, you owe me gold not wood!"
"Pay the damn money! I need the money too"
"My capital will not be able to complete the seaport before winter because of you!"

"Lisa, your kingdom is in an active volcano!
"What do you want ships for? Where will they sail?"

"Maria, if you do not pay half of your debt before next year I am afraid I will have to sanction your kingdom"

"Mom!"
"You can't do this to me!"
"I'm almost done planting my candy trees!"
"Do you know how much I've spent on research and development?"
"What will my inhabitants eat?!"
"I demand a referendum with all the other kingdoms!"

"The Kingdom of the Fox is in favor of sanctions"

"Atlantis is in favor of sanctions"

"Wonderland is in favor of tougher sanctions"

"The Mermaid Kingdom is in favor of tougher sanctions"

"The Hive Mind is in favor of tougher sanctions"

"The Demon kingdom is in favor of tougher sanctions"

"Traitors!"
"Your citizens eat sugar thanks to me!"

"That's good and all"
"But the help in public infrastructure that Union offers is much more appreciated"

"If this continues your kingdom will soon have to declare bankruptcy."
"As the principal mortgage your land will be mine"

The game, unfortunately, did not last long after that, as the candy kingdom decided to nuke their own territory, twice, before handing over a single gold coin to anyone.

Finally, what are some things not to do in comedy?

To close the topic, my only advice when it comes to not making comedy and jokes is to try not to offend anyone.

It is impossible, there will always be someone bitter who with some strange neurological process will find it offensive and will get upset.

Just ignore him, the humor will not be for him, and probably never will be.

Many funny situations are due to someone suffering in some way, it's natural, don't be afraid to say something that you think will upset someone, it will happen anyway even if you try to be the best person in the world.

You can be Jesus 2 on earth, people will still find a way to get upset with you for something. So why complicate your life?

Better to take things with humor right?
I think this is great!!! Thanks for the help! I’ve got a comedy book I’m trying to write, so this will be super useful!
I did not find these tips useful. Except for the last part. The last part is good.
Nah that's too long. Let me just share a little secret us professionals use, kid: if you wanna know how to write comedy, find a few stories that make YOU laugh and do what they did

It's research and application
Can’t you guys appreciate the help people give for the sake of it rather than bring your unnecessary shits and dropping it on this person?
And you? A professional? You’ll make this puppet’s button eyes fall out from laughing their ass off.

SailusGebel

Can’t you guys appreciate the help people give for the sake of it rather than bring your unnecessary shits and dropping it on this person?
And you? A professional? You’ll make this puppet’s button eyes fall out from laughing their ass off.
You okay? OP made a poll.

Did you find these tips useful?​

Should I lie here, or what?

Cortavar

The tips are indeed useful for situational humor and building up in-character jokes.

That's unfortunately not most of what makes me laugh when reading. I laugh, sometimes out loud, at a whimsical turn of phrase, a subversion of the expectations not of the characters, but of the way things are expected to be written. The late Sir Terry Pratchett's style is the perfect exemple of what makes me laugh: "give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life".

I also love well-written banter, from the friendly type to the high-stakes adversarial one, banter is a good source of humor. And the great thing about writing it is that you don't need to be fast, only your character needs it. So you can take your time to write the perfect stealth insult to the countess and make your character sound extra witty in the same move.

Finally, for situational humor, my personal favorite is schadenfreude: putting one of your characters in a socially embarrassing situation that plays with their character traits (the shy person being given the spotlight of the crowd, the narcissist caught doing something vaguely crass, the compulsive liar confronted to one too many lie, etc...) is a surefire way to draw a smile out of me.

And you can get even more emotions from me depending on how you choose to resolve the situation: go the logical route and trigger my empathy, take refuge in audacity and pile upon the smile to get a laugh or have the person involved be a villain and trigger the "haha, well done for you, you deserved it, che!" reflex.

Those are only my personal preference, and I know lots of people who prefer other kinds of humor, but I also know lots of people who enjoy the same things. As what another commenter said, mimic what makes you laugh, and you'll be set, at least with like minded people.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Comedy is tragedy plus time.

The truth of the matter is, when most people are laughing, it's because someone is suffering. However, it is normally because it is happening to someone who deserves it, or the situation is so absurd we don't take it seriously.

Of course part of it is that it's acceptable to laugh at the target. Feltface's routine about getting furniture is classic, even if the joke is about a broken man going through a divorce.

The other reason for laughing is shock. The aristocrats joke requires you to shock your audience so much that they laugh. Crossing the line twice. As it were.

Temple

Not sure, but I think there are just funny and unfunny people. Someone inherently unfunny couldn't just learn how to make people laugh through writing.

Cortavar

To expand on my previous comment, my personal theory about humor is that it's a defense mechanism against absurdity. Any joke has a rupture of something, be it character, reader expectations, words or logic.

And that's fundamentally wrong to our monkey-brain, who wants order and predictability. But our human-brain doesn't know what to do with the signal and the good chemicals, as there is no immediate danger to use them against.

So monkey-brain sets a posture of aggression, fangs bared, respiration heavy, and human-brain sees no danger and good chemicals, and associates the posture (smiling) and the breathing (laughter) with something good because of the chemicals.

And so we seek the absurd to trigger the defense reaction. And that's how you get all the different types of humor. And also why some people don't laugh at some jokes, because for them it's not absurd, it's an uncomfortable truth.

Don't believe me? Find me a joke, a funny statement, whatever makes you laugh that doesn't rely on some kind of rupture of expectations, aka absurd.

ReadLight

As someone who has read through all of what you wrote here, I want to say that I appreciate your work, but I did not find it too helpful. I liked the types of comedy part and the final paragraph, but I didn't find the examples all too funny. To be fair, I saw, in 2 of them, where the funniness is from. I guess my sense of humor is just different.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
I did not find these tips useful. Except for the last part. The last part is good.
This ^. I usually just write jokes at a time I would be laughing.
I think this is great!!! Thanks for the help! I’ve got a comedy book I’m trying to write, so this will be super useful!

I'm sorry Puppet, but they're right. I'm not saying so because I agree with them. If you find the tips useful, that's great! Nobody is shitting on OP. The only thing that could be considered is saying "kid", but I don't even think that is shitting on them.

Tsuru

Robot
Sigh..........................

Usually i am the ONE that wrote a ton. But strangely here, i am the reverse. (edit : couldnt stop again writing a lot)

Very short :
Compared to 2010ish and before. Now in 2023. The best comedy (for novels) now is the "poofing" style Or other words the "konosuba/deadpool" style.
Unless its a reader, readers are tired of all jokes, but only the jokes that are not expected that are the best to make current people laugh.
Same as stories you don't expect the next chap/arc are the bests.
------------------------
Its mostly because i am addicted to chinese webnovels. And seriously what they experienced on internet is a fast-forward time period, and now its the west that experience it, with trollers, toxicity, 5y kids now using internets and phones 24/7, fanboying fangirling, etc etc
Even west companies, like BLIZZARD copy china : destroying IP for giga fast quick bucks with a crappy product of a successful IP, sold to fanbois, getting flamed on but still defended by fanbois of the IP or paid people.

Returning to topic. If before its funny to see Ironman 2 where Ironman do joke of livestreaming the failed test of Iron armors, now people prefer Deadpool joke of trying to find Francis.

Lot of examples:
(arent funny and need to read the novels to experience their funnyness)
1) Recent-old completed novel "The luckiest man". MC with luck powers, somehow encounter a invincible mercenary with a dice-power that turn user invincible in a zone (forced to duel in dice). The loser die. The bad guy with high luck and the fact the opponent must beat him X times, make him invincible. Well.....until he chose to attack protag. Its both pitiful and very funny.
2) More recent novel using KR-JP-CH fusion. Is "Identification gaze of the strong". Where the first power of protag........Can cause the target to experience childbirth state for 10s. Very humiliating but also very op cc.
3) Card summoning duel novel? Well, protag use a mob card that die and multiply by 2.
4) Sealed vampire ? FUCK this, he is barbecued in his coffin. Seeing a last boss suffer and even threatened to be thrown bottom of the sea is fun.
5) A greedy village chief ? FUCK this, he is scammed, twice scammed, triple scammed, ALL THE WHILE clueless
6) Time travel novels ? Heck you have 2 where the protag directly reveal to chinese emperor he is a time traveler. WITH DECENT REASON OF WHY they do reveal. Because "they dont have memories of body, they dont have cheat/system, they dont have skills" = easy to be discovered. One is tang dynasty and bargain with Li Shiming. Other in Ming Dynasty, funnily tried to bargain emperor to kill him because he knows that life in past is shit, and that emperor is ruthless man that could torture him if he mistake him as using bribes to join gov (no skills / no poems / no body memories during transmigration). Funny moments where protag later reveals future infos to other people that make want to puke blood.
7) Andur royalroad dozen of books with same protag. OP protag, mage of all elements, time mage, blood mage, necromancer, soul mage, mad scientist that can create anything. Reincarnated innemurable times in multiverse. Dont care of people' lives like ants. THIS GUY, near omnipotent, somehow got the trait of being addict to chocolate. To the point he self-oathed to never voluntarily buy it. Reason "if i did, i would become a fat man in all reincarnation".
8) BEST commercial of japan. LONGLONGMAN. A commercial of chewing gum. Villain always steal the girl. But in fact the guy always had eyes for male dude.
9) Commercial of china.

Last edited:

dummycake

Already daydreamed about this interaction
Sigh..........................

Usually i am the ONE that wrote a ton. But strangely here, i am the reverse. (edit : couldnt stop again writing a lot)

Very short :
Compared to 2010ish and before. Now in 2023. The best comedy (for novels) now is the "poofing" style Or other words the "konosuba/deadpool" style.
Unless its a reader, readers are tired of all jokes, but only the jokes that are not expected that are the best to make current people laugh.
Same as stories you don't expect the next chap/arc are the bests.
------------------------
Its mostly because i am addicted to chinese webnovels. And seriously what they experienced on internet is a fast-forward time period, and now its the west that experience it, with trollers, toxicity, 5y kids now using internets and phones 24/7, fanboying fangirling, etc etc
Even west companies, like BLIZZARD copy china : destroying IP for giga fast quick bucks with a crappy product of a successful IP, sold to fanbois, getting flamed on but still defended by fanbois of the IP or paid people.

Returning to topic. If before its funny to see Ironman 2 where Ironman do joke of livestreaming the failed test of Iron armors, now people prefer Deadpool joke of trying to find Francis.

Lot of examples:
Ex : Recent-old completed novel "The luckiest man". MC with luck powers, somehow encounter a invincible mercenary with a dice-power that turn user invincible in a zone (forced to duel in dice). The loser die. The bad guy with high luck and the fact the opponent must beat him X times, make him invincible. Well.....until he chose to attack protag. Its both pitiful and very funny.
More recent novel using KR-JP-CH fusion. Is "Identification gaze of the strong". Where the first power of protag........Can cause the target to experience childbirth state for 10s. Very humiliating but also very op cc.
Card summoning duel novel? Well, protag use a mob card that die and multiply by 2.
Sealed vampire ? FUCK this, he is barbecued in his coffin.
A greedy village chief ? FUCK this, he is scammed, twice scammed, triple scammed, and finally killed "after all his worth is extracted".
Superpowers with cards world ? Well protag use the combo of : monster aura multiply pain of all people near x2, item equipment where the user (protag) lock hp to 1 but experience pain x5, and ring where the pain of user is also transmitted to enemy x5.
After readers are accustomed to it, author pull out a trolling move where the op enemy don't attack and wait. Protag, begin to self-talk. Talking about how painful the situation, full of regrets etc even crying. And finish with "ITS ALL YOUR FAULT", hence causing the HEART pain / EMOTIONAL DAMAGE multiplied by usual build and making enemy puke blood/faint.
Then later on, soon a rival invent ways to blocks the cards and use anti-pain card. WELP, now Protag funnily use "mana drain" build where enemy cant unsummon his monster and lose x3 more mana.
Time travel novels ? Heck you have 2 where the protag directly reveal to chinese emperor he is a time traveler. WITH DECENT REASON OF WHY they do reveal. Because "they dont have memories of body, they dont have cheat/system, they dont have skills" = easy to be discovered. One is tang dynasty and bargain with Li Shiming. Other in Ming Dynasty, funnily tried to bargain emperor to kill him because he knows that life in past is shit, and that emperor is ruthless man that could torture him if he mistake him as using bribes to join gov (no skills / no poems / no body memories during transmigration). Funny moments where protag later reveals future infos to other people that make want to puke blood.
Andur royalroad dozen of books with same protag. OP protag, mage of all elements, time mage, blood mage, necromancer, soul mage, mad scientist that can create anything. Reincarnated innemurable times in multiverse. Dont care of people' lives like ants. THIS GUY, near omnipotent, somehow got the trait of being addict to chocolate. To the point he self-oathed to never voluntarily buy it. Reason "if i did, i would become a fat man in all reincarnation".
please format it I want to read your reply

Tsuru

Robot
I don't see how your examples are jokes...
Because jokes told 3rd pov are often not funny. Like telling about a joker that did a funny joke.
Also most of the comedy need preparation, the mood, details, liking the characters, etc etc
That is why the novels example i gave arent that funny when i told them like that. its more about "hey look, need this kind of creativity for jokes".
So go watch the videos, its easier to understand.

-----

-----

Last edited:

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
The only part about the tips that was good was that comedy likely offends someone 99% of the time.

Other than that, comedy itself is something that’s based on audience. There are different kinds of comedy, and being funny requires a sense of the people you’re writing or talking too.

Being funny however requires being able to relate to someone, or the ability to make something sound ridiculous while relating to someone.

People only find things funny if there is truth to it, or they relate to it. If a joke is based on lies and has no substance, very few will find it funny. Hence “the left can’t meme” is an actual meme more people find funny than not.