Narrator Explanation

Kouneko

Some times falls the duty of explaining information to readers on a narrator, when u feel is the time for such a thing and how do u do it?

WaterFish

Some times falls the duty of explaining information to readers on a narrator, when u feel is the time for such a thing and how do u do it?
You’re thinking of it the wrong way. You’re writing a story. So keep it that way.

Explain what needs to be said to continue the narrative, and don’t go into random tangents just because you want to show off your knowledge of the setting. Continue until the story is finished.

Jerynboe

Uh. Generally if I feel like a narrator should be in charge of exposition I do it near the beginning of a chapter or when an important thing is happening, as a way of setting the scene. Never more than a paragraph or two at a time. If you need more than a paragraph you damn well better figure out how to integrate it directly into the story with the characters.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Read A Hitchhiker's Guide to the galaxy.

Succubiome

There's no hard rules here-- you can have only narration and no action or dialogue, if you want.

I would say to remember that the narrator is also a character (even if they don't exist in the story)-- if your narrator is like "Once upon a time, in a distant grove..." they should probably not also be "And Drpskn's head went flying! Hell yeah sister! Cut that philandrer's head off and kick it to the f***ing moon!" unless that is a dichotomy you keep up enough to feel in-character for the narrator, in which case it's perfectly fine.

Also: if you aren't sure how to use a writing technique, write a short story and play around with that technique in it-- it's easier to learn painting by painting than by theorizing about painting, generally.