New author seeks help/tips

CreationWillL

Evening together,

Since I have enough time at the moment, I want to write my own story.

It's my first time, so I'd like to get a few tips in advance.

What interests me is the following:

So, how do I create a good power system?
Also, how do I create a good world-building?
What do I have to pay attention to when creating the characters?
Can I avoid plot armor?

PS: I have an editor, so you don't have to point out my crappy English:)

melchi

What is a custom title?
For new writers just focus on clarity and consistency. If what one writes gets the message across as expected then that should be a good start. If said person can keep doing it regularly then that is better than most.

LilRora

Mostly formless
Frankly, if someone wanted to fully answer all four questions you asked (especially the first two) it would turn into a whole essay. The most important thing is not to try to write something amazing outright; personally, I say it's to slowly but surely improve the little things you notice can be done better.

To start with though, when you're creating the world, the characters, the power system, or basically whatever, I can tell from experience, don't try to make them perfect. It sucks up a massive amount of time and doesn't benefit your story much. It's generally way better to make something you like, focusing only on 2-4 key points, and flesh out the details as you write more, or don't specify them at all. Reader's imagination is way more powerful than some people think and will fill out those details by itself.

In regards to those 2-4 key points, this is actually an rule I made for myself after I caught myself overdescribing things because I wanted details. It says, when describing something, focus only on a few most important or noticeable points, add a general impression (either in narration, or in dialogue), and move on. Anything more than that will probably be too much descriptions and bore your readers; you can keep to it or not, but I personally found it really helpful.

Then, backwards to power systems and worldbuilding specifically, my advice is to clearly define each major element, why it's there, how it's gonna affect a story. Not in some great detail and not necessarily to readers, but just so you know it's there for a reason, not as a gimmick that wouldn't change anything if it disappeared. I've seen way too many stories that introduced a cool mechanic only to abandon it halfway in because the author decided it's not necessary, or others that described a whole world only not to touch three fourths of it, and I made both damn mistakes.

And generally, keep things simple, don't try to add weird twists without good reasons to. Creativity is good and I'll say it now that I'm not trying to limit yours in any way, but for a story to work, it's got to be kept in some bounds or you'll get pizza with scambled eggs and fruit salad.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Also this:

Section-C has all the useful tip-threads collected that you can browse here.

Garon

I don’t know if you will continue to read the incoming advice, but I will offer my own. When you create an energy system, magic, nen, whatever you want to call it. You first of all strive to make it interesting for yourself. And then for the reader. If you don’t like the system you came up with, then writing future fights for you won’t be interesting either. And therefore I advise you to come up with something of your own rather than take something else from someone else. Plot armor is not a problem. Just don't put your mc in such positions initially. When creating a character, think about what they bring to the story. If your episode has an important theme, then think about how the characters reflect it. Basically, start with something simpler and delve into the plot deeper and deeper while revealing your world and its foundations.

prognastat

There isn't really a simple answer for these questions that could be given in a forum response since there are entire classes that could be taught on each of those and you would still only be scratching the surface.
It's hard and I wouldn't recommend it for your first story. I would keep it simple rather than make a complex system for your first attempt. Once you learn it'll get easier to expand things. Also trying some things as you go in your first story might be a good learning experience even if it ends up backfiring. Keep in mind lots of super popular stories have absolutely awful power sytems. Harry Potter, awful. Dragon Ball, awful. Yet those are still some of the biggest most popular stories ever.
Noting I can really say here with just a few lines to help much. Good world building takes planning, but also experience. Chances are in your first story it's probably not going to be great. Look what others have done that you've liked.
When you are starting them out write what you know as much as possible. Base characters on yourself, parts of yourself, people you know etc. Think how those people would talk, how they would act, respond to events etc. When you start you'll be writing mostly characters that are very close to actual people you know. Then as you get better at writing the characters try mixing things up with new characters more taking smaller parts from people you know until it is no longer possible to recognise them from who you based them on and come across as entirely fresh characters. Try not to use characters from other works for this or you'll get the copy of a copy effect.
Can I avoid plot armor?
Hard to completely avoid, but not impossible. Depending on how you write it can be easier or harder. For example if you write an entire arc/book before you start posting it and you actually have the chance to edit it as a whole you'll be able to fix it when you run in to situations where you are forced to help a character out of a dead end you wrote them into by changing how they got there in the first place. However if you are posting chapters as you go and only going off a rough idea of where your story is going you'll probably run into situations that are hard or impossible to write yourself out of without relying on some degree of plot armour.

Really the biggest advice for your first work is to just start writing and not worry about getting these things good right off the bat. Chances are you'll learn more by actually putting things into practice than you will just by reading and watching more teaching material before you've actually tried it.

Jaymi

Gamer / Astronaut / Idol / Author / Vampire
this sounds lazy but its the best advice i can give anyone who has a hobby: only do it if you enjoy it, the moment u stop enjoying it, take a break. Just write and have fun and everything else will follow.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
Did you ever end up writing anything?

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
Evening together,

Since I have enough time at the moment, I want to write my own story.

It's my first time, so I'd like to get a few tips in advance.

What interests me is the following:

Can I avoid plot armor?

PS: I have an editor, so you don't have to point out my crappy English:)
first, Start at the base level. what's the lowest level of your power system? How big should each increment be? How many levels should there be between the bottom and God/gods/goddess/goddesses/etc?

second, focus on one main difference between our world and that one, then work out how that one main change would alter other things. In my biggest work, it has multiple gods that created life. From that, I worked out the races in the world and which races are important to the story I'm telling. From there, it was easy to work out other differences and changes.

third, everything. But it's a lot easier than it sounds. Consider them real people. How would THEY act/react in specific scenarios, rather than how would you WANT them to act/react? It can feel a bit like you have multiple personalities, as you're constantly switching mindsets from one character to another, but it's a matter of practice.

fourth, plot armor? No, you can't avoid it as long as the MC can't die for the sake of the story continuing. That said, it CAN be mitigated if you take a page from George R.R. Martin and have multiple characters, each that can die at any moment either without affecting the story or, better yet, driving the story forward. Plot armor is only nullified by death. the best option is to make such occasions so cool/badass/mysterious/etc that people don't question it. In my story A Succubus' Love, the MC "dies" twice. first, he's saved by his magical sword pulling his soul into it, so his body can be healed. the second time he dies, he's brought back by a necromancer who sacrifices her own life to preserve his soul in his body. both times, it's explained in universe that neither is a true death-cheat, as they cannot be used again. this allows plot armor, in the fact that death has been defeated, BUT in such a way that death itself is still a very real consequence.

J_Chemist

Yea. Give em the tip.