New to ScribbleHub. Looking for feedback on a fantasy series.

hueyhare

Hi all,

I just started and was wondering if anyone would be interested in taking a look at my first web fiction. It's called Sprig and its about a girl who is exploring a mysterious land in search of her people, in the midst of a war. I'd appreciate any feedback I can get. Thanks!

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/39938/sprig/

sak-chii

Professional Procrastinator (Writer)
Ohh a female protagonist!

***clicks on the link***

Btw, your signature can be created in that "signature" section. Example in my screenshot

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190724-075413_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190724-075413_Samsung Internet.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 172

hueyhare

Thanks. I thought I had already made it. I'll try again.

Also, I hope you like the story! Thanks for checking it out!

Jemini

I read through the 1st chapter. It's really not bad, but it's way too generic. Nothing to really grab or hold the attention in it, and really nothing unusual aside from the fact that they are tree people. Just about every single last other thing is something that has been seen and done before.

The introduction of showing a happy family before it's busted up by the intrusion from outside is one of the oldest cleches in the book. It is one of those cleches that is cleche for a reason, that being that it is effective. However, it is handled far too "by the numbers" here, and the fact that you just exchange a few "happy" lines between them before the humans suddenly show up just makes it even more painfully obvious that you are doing it just due to fitting it to that "paint by numbers" model rather than really trying to capitalize on and explore these dynamics with the care it deserves.

Overall, it just comes across as a story that has no soul. Your writing conventions are pretty good, but you really do not go deep enough into the characters in this first chapter. Maybe you get better later, but first chapters and first impressions are very VERY important. If it's not in the first chapter, I just do not have motivation to read.

There are two ways to fix these errors. 1st. Slow it down, spend a LOT more time exploring the happy family dynamic, and have them engage with one another in some less cleched ways. Have some dialogue exchanged between them that does not sound like you could take the exact same lines, maybe with a specific word or two swapped out, from any other story. The other option is to just skip the happy family scene entirely and have her already fleeing the humans after the parents' sacrifice, and retell the family dynamic through flashbacks later.

I would personally recommend the 1st version. Make the first 3 or so chapters seem like you are just writing a slice-of-life from the perspective of these tree people, and give us some Treek cultural practices and legends, and then make the reader really feel it a lot more when the family gets broken up. That would add what's missing.

Another thing, you really need to work on your synopsis and your 1st paragraph. Those two things are the two most important parts of any story. They have to really capture the reader's attention. Your synopsis, just like your 1st chapter, is way too generic. For your first paragraph, maybe after following the advice to slow things down, you could make the first scene about the MC's magic lessons from her mother instead of her father getting back from the hunt. That could be a little more interesting. (Plus, father gets back from the hunt on line 1 is another example of a paint-by-numbers generic scene, and thus death to your story. At least delay it to mid way through the chapter if you are going to do it at all.)

Last edited:

hueyhare

Thanks for the advice, Jemini. That is helpful. I actually added that first chapter in after I started writing the rest of the story. It was an attempt to show more of the main character's situation before getting into the current plot. And now that you say, it makes sense that dialogue is generic because I didn't know the characters too well at that point. I also was less invested in the parents because they are not in the story after that chapter. That's still not a reason to allow it though.

I'll try expanding the time in camp as you suggested. Thanks! I appreciate the help.